Thread: Sheep

Default Sheep

Yesterday while attempting to learn to fly an aircraft, I flew over Eklutna Lake and saw 4 or 5 different groups of sheep, including two large ewe/lamb groups. They are occupying the south facing slopes at this time, which are pretty well melted out. The outcroppings where the sheep were appeared to have adequate green for the time being.
    Yum...wild mutton is so tasty. Can we hunt yet?
    And no, I did not see a single bear, despite putting 3.5 hours on the Hobbs.

That's wild since there is a lot of black bears up in that area. I see them every time I'm up there.

Default where to for bears?

I thought it was curious that we didn't see any bears either.
    I have never given much thought to spring bears before. I didn't see a lot of green around anywere, just little patches where the sheep were. At what elevation have you been seeing the bears?
    The sheep were mid elevation. Not that it matters this time of year, but they are out if you want to go sheep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve
    I thought it was curious that we didn't see any bears either.
    I have never given much thought to spring bears before. I didn't see a lot of green around anywere, just little patches where the sheep were. At what elevation have you been seeing the bears?
    The sheep were mid elevation. Not that it matters this time of year, but they are out if you want to go sheep watching.
    The vast majority of the bears that I have seen up there (looking from the campground and from the lake) were about half way up the hillsides eating.