Thread: Packing gear into aircraft

Default Packing gear into aircraft

From the experiences of the masses, will outfitters with their own planes or air taxi types allow a Barneys type frame and bag to be loaded.

The reason I ask, a lot of websites I have looked at ,give maximum gear weights and to have your gear in soft sided duffels.

Seems to me it would be a waste of my hard earned to buy an external frame (I have managed to talk myself into the Barneys as my choice , if I do) that I can't put in the plane.

Secondly, has anyone had experience with the delicate folks in airline baggage handling, with an external frame pack. They managed to break a piece off my gun case and put a dirty big gouge in it when I flew to Africa, so I think an external frame could be asking for trouble.

Thanks

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

I've had three external frame packs destroyed by the airlines. They just have two many ways to get stuck on things. I occasionally still travel with one, but I am not as surprised when it gets destroyed. I still don't know how they can snap a frame in half.

I've used an external frame pack several times where I had to use commercial airlines. Never a problem. For travel in a Cub to a hunting area I've never taken enough stuff to be a problem, and I take an external frame. If it won't fit inside the cub it'll fit just fine on the wing struts.

We had to remove the top hoop or bar on our Barney's. This was on a bush plane, not a commercial airline. No big deal with the quick release clips and pins.
    EricL

Were Flying out with Wright Air in August, Bob bursell is allowing us to take 70lbs each and allowed to pack gear in our packs... That is because we are flying out in a Helio Courier. Well good luck

Default Barneys Pack is allowed

I have taken my barneys pack in lots of supercubs and other aircraft w/o any problems. One pilot asked me to remove the top bar. I never check my pack when flying. I put the empty pack in a huge (48") Cabelas duffle and pack everything around it. The duffle holds a lot more than the pack and there are no buckles or straps to get caught in the the conveyor belts or for the "ramp gorillas" to mess with.

Default wrap it

The commercial airlines have big bags they will put your backpacks in to keep the straps from getting caught on conveyer belts and such. You just have to ask. They are big clear plastic bags and will serve to protect your backpack (material anyway). As for bush planes, I have never had any trouble. We take Ally pack canoes and they are twice the size of the pack you would take. I have never been in a super cub though. So I can not speak of it.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.