Thread: wooden bow plans

Default wooden bow plans

anyone have a good source for hand-carved wooden bow plans?

I like doing wood-carving and have often thought of shaping a bow... possibly something of a laminate design...

I'm also not sure if I shoot better righty or lefty, so would like to play with a custom design that's somewhat ambidextrous... if there ever was such a thing in the bow and arrow world... hence the term, custom, I guess...

thanks.

Hey Jocko
    If you want to go laminated, these guys have all the plans & materials.
    http://www.binghamprojects.com/features.htm

Here's another site I hang out at. Primarily trad archery, & some great bow builders that will let you pick there mind & help you any way they can.
    http://www.newoutdoorcore.com/forum/

Where in MT are you?
    I lived in Hamilton for about 6 yrs
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Wooden Bow

To find the info you seek check out a copy of a magazine called "Traditional Bow". They have the info as well as staves and DVD's on building your own bow.
    Good Luck
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

traditional bowhunter magazine

primitive archer magazine

bowyers Journal (another magazine(

Or buy the 3 set "the bowyers bibles"

You can find all the bow building stuff you could ever want at 3 rivers archery or kustom kings. Be it books tools or otherwise. You can also find a TOn of stuff online at Primitive archers site, www.tradgang.com www.stickbow.com, google outdoortothecore, or just google self bows, laminated bows or building wood longbows. The more specific search you apply the smaller the selection of sites you will find more specific to what you're looking for.

Building a bow is not carving though. Just want to make sure you're aware of this whether its a self bow, backed bow, laminated bow, horn bow or otherwise.

Have fun and beware, it's addicting.

The Traditional Bowyer's Bibles will cover about all you need to know. That's how I got my start! The Bent Stick is another good book. The forum at primitivearcher.com is a great one. Lots of very talented guys on there posting pictures of their bows and always willing to offer help.

Jeff

thanks for all the great info!

this should keep me busy for awhile!

The best book on making a wooden bow is "Hunting the Osage Bow" by Dean Torges. Google his name or the book. Be careful. You are about to go to the point of no return. Build just one and you'll be addicted.

Default Heads up

Just a heads up...there's a Shafer silvertip in the swap and sell.
    Two sets of limbs.
    Great bow for a great price.