Thread: clearwater boat ramp

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default clearwater boat ramp

just wondering if a guy can launch a 21 foot northriver commander at the clearwater ramp and get to the tanana. also wondering how the burbot fishing is in that immediate area, thanks.

Clearwater???? As in the Denali hwy??? If that's it the answer is no. It dumps into the Big Su. Going north of the Hwy is the Clearwater controlled use area, predator hunting north is ok from 15 Mar til 30 Jun and drains down from the Alaska range.

I have walked almost to the Mountains along the river from the highway and there are some areas where an air boat would be required. I floated back out and had to pull my raft quite a few times. I have also floated down from the highway about 20 miles. Sweepers would be the biggest problem. Definately would want to carry a good winch setup for extraction. There is alot of fast skinny water with very few places to stop. The floods of 2006 changed the river ALOT. Some superior Grayling holes got filled in during those floods. If high water it would be ok South.

Default clearwater boat launch

I have used the boat launch at the Delta Clearwater River with a 20' green boat many times. There are some very shallow spots down towards the mouth. I would not feel comfortable taking a big heavy boat down the Clearwater unless I had a lot of experience running it. There is also a way to launch a boat at the lake but I have never done it and don't know if it would be better. I have run my 22' inboard up the Tanana to where the mouth of the Clearwater is supposed to be (short run) but haven't had luck finding it yet.

Default Launch Away

The clearwater river launch is a nice ride to the tanana, about 10-12 miles. The burbot fishing is good but will get better as the Tanana starts to turn brown. Fish the mouths of the clear water streams flowing into the Tanana, ( There are more than you think ) Also back eady's near bluffs are good spots to. E.S. P.S. no problem with the boat.

Default Finding the cleawater

Lol, The Clearwater Lake and the Clearwater River are bacisical coneceted. When you leave Clearwater Lake to the outlet, keep to the right evan thought its muddy for about 3 miles it turns into the Clearwater River. Same if your coming down from the campground stay to the left and find the one little slu at the Tanana and take a left ( should see a change of color in the water). Can't tell you how many people I've picked up that have missed the mouth. The water can be skiny this time of year but when things getting to melting no problem on the river. ( Went to the lake a couple of days ago and could'nt launch a canoe,) Give it another couple weeks and the waterways in the area are yours to be had. Hopes this helps. E.S.

Default Besides

There's to many birds out there right now , might suck some of them up in the jet or the prop and be screwed.LOL (Just kidding guys ) E.S.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default thanks

for the replies. sorry dupont i should have clarified better, i didnt realize there was one on the denali. ill leave the boat here in eagle river and probably tow it up after the big memorial weekend in whittier. man i cant wait.