Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for fishing last week of May...

Question Suggestions for fishing last week of May...

I have spent most my time in NW Alaska and floated one river (Goodnews) in SW this past Sept. I have some time off work the last week of May and want to fly up for five days but have no idea where to go that time of year. We would just be flying in to Anchorage and renting a car at the airport. Easy to hit the Kenai Peninsula of course, but not sure about where to go. I am familiar with the area. Been there a few times, but never so early in the season. Anyone want to share any possibilities? Is it too early for a day trip for kings on the Kenai or Kasilof? Any good fishing for dollies/bows in late May? I am wide open to suggestions. I don't care what I catch. Just excited to get up to Alaska. I have a float trip planned in Sept up in NW, so this is some what of a bonus trip for me. Any ideas?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

deep creek is a hotspot for kings over the big weekend. i believe its a weekend fishery only though so you will need to check the regs. trolling along deepcreek for kings and halibut would be a good bet. rainbows in the kenai if its still open, again i dont frequent the peninsula and i hope someone will chime in if i am leading in the wrong direction. charter operators are usually giving out early season specials, you can go out for halibut or troll for kings in homer or seward.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    rainbows in the kenai if its still open
    Rainbows are closed in the Kenai as of midnight tonight through June 11th, so that won't be an option. The other options mentioned are good ones, though.

I seem to recall that they're opening up Ninilchick River to a Wednesday opening this year in addition to the traditional weekend opening. That might be worth a shot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Rainbows are closed in the Kenai as of midnight tonight through June 11th, so that won't be an option. The other options mentioned are good ones, though.

I seem to recall that they're opening up Ninilchick River to a Wednesday opening this year in addition to the traditional weekend opening. That might be worth a shot as well.

Yep- I guess F and G was severerly underestimating the ammount of return kings by several thousand- so theyre considering upping the limits and also allowing for earlier openers

Default Thanks...

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I appreciate it. I am reading up on the mentioned rivers now. Any other ideas? I will keep a good eye on this post just in case. I had not planned on being able to come up in May so it caught me off guard a bit. Never been to that area in May. Thanks for any thoughts!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Most years the Kasilof has a healthy number of Kings in it by late May. I wouldn't be afraid to try there. I've had good success fishing with Mike at fishwheat.com over the past few years if your looking for a guide.

Trout fishing in the lakes on the Kenai Peninsula will be good at this time. Many lakes off of Swanson River Road within a short walk that will produce both nice size rainbows/dollies as well as consistent action. Also a option could be to rent a canoe and try the lakes thataway.
    Their will be kings in the Homer Lagoon, Ninilchik River, Deep Creek, Anchor River, Kasilof River, and the Kenai River. The first four are bank fishing places but the last two you will be better served fishing out of a boat. Kasilof River also can be done from the shore at the confluence of Crooked Creek but still better from a boat. World record king salmon was caught from the Kenai on May 17 back in the 80's.
    Marine fishery from Anchor Point to Deep Creek will be in full swing as well for both halibut and kings. Lots and lots of good places to select from. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I seem to recall that they're opening up Ninilchick River to a Wednesday opening this year in addition to the traditional weekend opening.
    The Anchor River is open for kings on Wednesdays, not the Ninilchick River. See pages 42 and 43 for those regulations.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...al/SCkenai.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Yep- I guess F and G was severerly underestimating the ammount of return kings by several thousand- so theyre considering upping the limits and also allowing for earlier openers
    The annual limit for kings taken from the Anchor River was increased to 5 as a part of the Cook Inlet annual limit, but the bag and possession limit remains at one.

See this news release for a summary of lower Cook Inlet reg changes:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=890

Default Thanks...

There has been some great insights shared here. I appreciate you guys taking the time to throw me a line. Now that I have some direction, I am getting more and more excited. A guided one day trip would be good for this trip. Any other suggestions on guides? I have only used Jimmie Jack one time back in late June of 2006. He took me on the Kenai. We got skunked. It happens. That is my only experience fishing in that area other than a halibut trip out of Seward. Any of the guys at Troutfitters working in late May. A hike in trip or boat trip would be of interest. Who should I call? Thanks for any further info.

Thumbs up Kings last week of May

If your interested in Halibut fishing and Trolling for Kings thats the peak time off of Deep Creek. See that chart at:
    www.wildroselodge.com/Peakfishruns.html
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Ocean...

Sounds like many of the kings are still in the salt water. How would the Kasilof be this time of year? Any thoughts welcome. I would like to take a drift boat on the Kasilof. Anyone done that trip. I will be in the area May 23-27. Any additional insights appreciated.

Kasilof River goes to bait on May 16. King fishing will slowly build as June approaches. Traditionally the third week of May has been a good time to fish the Kasilof for kings.

New regulations this season to think about as well. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday are the only days that you are allowed to harvest a "natural" Kasilof King. Hatchery (no adilose fin) kings you can retain seven days a week during this timeframe. The limit on hatchery kings has been raised to two fish a day but still only allowed one natural king on the legal days for them. Also, fishing after retention for king salmon is premitted as well.

The best fishing the last few season has centered around the tides. The Kasilof seems to produce better on a out going tide so many of the drift boat fisherfolks here tend to wait until the tide has receded and then procede downstream to fish the areas below the confluence of Crooked Creek. Back bouncing spin n glo @ eggs, backtrolling a diver with the same set up, or even a k-13 to k-15 plug seem to be the most common methods. All are effective here.
    Kings in this timeframe will be chrome silver and full of spunk. Average size is around 15 - 20 pounds but once again they fight like a much bigger fish. Anyway, the first run Kasilof Kings will start tapering off by mid June so by looking at that date one can see that from late May to early June is the peak of the season for this fishery.

Default Thanks..

Iceblue,

Great info there. I sure appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Maybe all those missing Sacramento River kings decided to give up on the Republik of Kalifornika and come north to heaven... Makes complete sense to me! Guns, God, Fish, and Big Steak... can't beat that with a stick!

Thanks for that link to Wild Rose Lodge... I'm getting an itch to fish!

Brian

Default yep...

"Guns, God, Fish, and Big Steak"

Sounds good to me! Fishing season is upon us. Won't be long. Looks like I will be floating the Kasilof for kings on May 24 or 25. Anyone floated that river this early? I would love to hear of anyone's experience so early in the first king run.

Thumbs up Kasilof Kings

Seen two caught and heard of two others this past weekend, hopefully thats a sign of a really good run this year. A couple of Saltwater boats tried also, but got shunked (just wait a week or so).
    Last edited by profishguide; 05-05-2008 at 21:59. Reason: added
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default kasilof kings

I'm curious; anyone know the general percentage of wild vs. hatchery kings in the Kasilof? I've got a charter on a day when wild fish cannot be kept...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I think that whatever the percentage has been in the past with natural versus hatchery Kasilof Kings that the data of the total number of each available has been somewhat tainted.

Example, natural fish have to be released on certain days so if that fish is caught on a day that it cannot be retained and then caught again on a legal day it was counted twice. The hatchery limit was raised to two starting this season so there will be fewer available overall because one has to assume that more of them will be taken due to the higher limit and thus leaving fewer in the river for another day.

The natural kings tend to come in a little earlier in the season allthough they are some of both coming in with each tide from about now to late June. I have seen one boat catch three natural kings in a day and have a boat that was fishing close to them catch three hatchery kings. You just never know...

I will say that the pressure on the Kasilof seems to be lower on no rentention natural fish days so that means that they are more pieces of the pie available on those days for all anglers.

Default Good to hear...

Profishguide,

Glad to hear some are being caught so soon.

Iceblue,

You mentioned earlier that the limit was two fish on the Kasilof and that you could continue fishing if you got your two. I contacted a guide today and they said that you could not fish after you limit out. Is this a new reg or was I talking to a fun dummy? Wishing I could fish with you. Too bad you were already booked on that day. Next time I will plan ahead. As I mentioned, this trip was thrown together at the last minute. Any clarification on the regs would be most appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast