Thread: Stacking jars during canning?

Question Stacking jars during canning?

I was recently given a pressure cooker and I'm eager to can (well...jar I guess) some tasty salmon.

I've been getting aquainted with the great info UAF has and just finished a test run to make sure the cooker functions properly and figure out the proper setting on the stovetop.

The cooker I have is a fairly tall unit and I'm wondering - is it OK to stack jars two high to double my batch size?

With the 2+ hours of time involved (10-15 minutes to get up to temp, 10 minutes of steam venting, 100 minutes of cooking, plus cooling time) it would be nice to do twice as many jars at once. I'll be using pint size jars for the two high operation, but am thinking of doing some half pint sizes and would probably stack those three or four high if it's ok.

Thanks for the info.

Just put a rack on top of the bottom jars you should be good to go(as long as you have the room to stack). Get a copy of the Ball Blue of Canning it will tell all you need to know to can just about anything. Or check out the Alaska Extension Service web site.
    Chuck

I've stacked them without a rack and always had good seals. I've stacked the small jars four high, or the medium ones two high.

I've stacked double without a rack and never had any trouble. However, I always offset the layers so the bottoms of the top row are resting on the rims, not lids, of the bottom row.

thanks for the replies, I'll keep an eye out for a rack but won't let that stop me from 'going vertical' with my canning. Going to have to defrost some filets and give it a go pretty soon.

Anyone that buys supplies in Fairbanks, where is your favorite spot? Do the mega stores have the best buys on jars, lids, etc or is it A&W wholesale? Sentry hardware?

Alaska Butcher Supply in Anchorage sells the separating disks for stacking jars in your canner. All American canners come with two. I needed more.