Thread: First Time/Hasselborg

Default First Time/Hasselborg

Hi, my dad and I are heading to Admiralty Is./Lake Hasselborg real soon (First week of June) It will be my first time to Alaska and we will be camping on Lake Hasselborg for a few days. Being an avid bass angler in GA I'm kinda lost when it comes to Alaskan fishing. I'll have my bass rods/reels (med act. 6-10lb test) which i figured would be fine for trout, etc. But I have no idea what lures to bring. Can anyone point me in the right direction? All other tips are greatly appreciated!

Trout in lakes act just like bass. They are predatory and relate to structure in much the same ways. Bring spinners, mepps, soft plastice, etc. If you fly fish then I am not much help. If all else fails use worms or shrimp for bait.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Fish-on, let's hope

This forum is full of fishing references and recommendations. One good source/reference are the books/guides is the Alaska Outdoors store (see above). Please keep checking with this forum, the guys that post here are on the water and know their way around. Also, check out the older postings as many speak to the general questions you have about fishing Alaska and even others that you'll will find as interesting topics.

These guys talk fishing, gear, politics, regulation -- hey,and these guys are full of it -- fish or not, you'll have great trip on Admiralty.

Cool, I fished for rainbows in north GA but always used a swivel weight 2ft from the hook with a glob of powerbait, but I dont think that is allowed on Hasselborg. I've got plenty of mepps, etc. What colors (other than gold/silver) are popular? Also, what else will be running in the creeks and rivers around that area? Thanks again!

Some very bad advice has been given so far!

Rule #1 - No bait in Hasselborg lake - AWT rountinely patrols that area and you'll get yourself in trouble quick.

Hasselborg lake is classified as a Trophy Cutthroat Trout lake. Some big fish come out of that lake, and it can get hit pretty hard. Your only allowed to keep 1 fish and I believe the minimum size limit is 26 inches.

The best method for fishing the lake is trolling spinners and spoons DEEP. Most of the bigger fish hang out in the deeper water.

There are 2 forest service cabins at the lake located in about the middle on a small point. One of the cabins has two small flatbottom boats and oars. If you can bring a small engine - Like a 2hp.

The lake is very nice. Last time I was out there I got weathered in though, and the ceiling can drop quickly.

Default bait definition

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Some very bad advice has been given so far!

Rule #1 - No bait in Hasselborg lake - AWT rountinely patrols that area and you'll get yourself in trouble quick.

Hasselborg lake is classified as a Trophy Cutthroat Trout lake. Some big fish come out of that lake, and it can get hit pretty hard. Your only allowed to keep 1 fish and I believe the minimum size limit is 26 inches.

The best method for fishing the lake is trolling spinners and spoons DEEP. Most of the bigger fish hang out in the deeper water.

There are 2 forest service cabins at the lake located in about the middle on a small point. One of the cabins has two small flatbottom boats and oars. If you can bring a small engine - Like a 2hp.

The lake is very nice. Last time I was out there I got weathered in though, and the ceiling can drop quickly.

As an addition to OneLung's point about the prohibition on bait, it also applies to synthetics or impregnated plastics such as power bait/power grubs. The "Bait" definition is:

"bait means any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, or insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals."

No, I wasn't planning on using bait on the lake, as I stated earlier, I figured it wasn't allowed. I was just mentioning how I fish for rainbows in ga and I figured it was a lot different in Alaska. But yeah, those cabins will be the ones were staying in and we will have small motors for the boats. How do you recommend getting lures deep, trolling weights?

Twist-ons and things like that.

I was not aware of the lake's status. But you can still fish them like bass. Try a carolina rig with a 8" plastic worm.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I was not aware of the lake's status. But you can still fish them like bass. Try a carolina rig with a 8" plastic worm.
    Also a jig and 6 inch curly tail has accounted for a lot of trout when I'm pike fishing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'm telling ya Hasselborg lake is a whole different ball game :P

I honestly cant say that I like fishing there....It does get hit pretty hard by people who fly in there, and that is quite a bit during the summer months. Its a nice place though. Awesome scenenary..

Default hasselborg

try a daredevle 5 of diamonds spoon, yellow with red diamonds on it. Works great in lakes around here.

Awesome... I've got a few of the daredevils from a trip to Canada a few years ago. What colors do yall recommend with the plastics?

Onelung, why don't you like it? The pressure it receives? What do you recommend?

Thanks guys! Keep it comin!

I've just been to more productive cutt lakes that it. I'd use meps spinners and small krocidile spoons