Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .35 Whelen load needed

Default .35 Whelen load needed

Got a .35 Whelen to use this year. Will hunt Browns and blacks and want one bullet/load to do both. I'm open to suggestions and your expierence please. I wanted to try the Barnes TSX, but it's heaviest is 225 grain. I want to sling pumpkins with the pumpkin slinger.

For 250 grain slugs, that are affordable.....

You have the 250 grain Speer spitzer. Which I think is a touch on the soft side for up close through bone.

And you have the Hornady 250 grain Spitzer or better yet for shorter ranges the 250 grain Hornady interlock round nose.
    55.5 grains of H4895, with a Federal 210 primer loaded to 3.290 inches, will gve you 2,500 fps with no problem.
    55.0 to 55.5 grains of RL-15 and a magnum primer will push it at about the same speed. RL-15 seems to be a clean burner.

There are some really hot 35 Whelen loads posted here and there, but with a 250 grain slug 2,400 to 2,500 is just fine for anything out to 200 yards.

What is your rifling twist? I have some old 275 grain Barnes bullets but they do not seem to be very accuarte in any gun I have tried so far..
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thumbs up

Ditto on the 250 Hornadys . Im loading them with 54grns of 4064 , Not Smokin Hot but they will dispatch anything on this continant , With good shot placement of coarse .Mine will cut one ragged hole in the paper at 100 yds.

Default .35 Whelen

Not sure on the twist, it is a Remington 700 Classic. Also, dito to which Hornady round? the round nose?

The Rem 700s have a 1 in 16 twist. As do the Rugers. Not that great for anything above 250 grain. I am not sure if the 275s would do anything for you... How close to Homer are you?

Don't forget the 250 gr. Nosler Partition.

Quote Originally Posted by akrifle View Post
    Not sure on the twist, it is a Remington 700 Classic. Also, dito to which Hornady round? the round nose?
    I have loaded both the RN and the SP , with good results from both .

Thumbs up 35 Whelen

While I've had both the regular Whelen and the AI version. Most of the load development I've done has been with the only Whelen I have now... the AI version. May or may not apply. I agree with Eastwoods- don't overlook the 250 NP. My AI has the 1:14 twist in a 24 1/2" #5 contour barrel. The very best, most accurate load I found, trying several powders and trying many bullets in the 200-250 grain range from different manufacturers turned out to be a fairly stiff load of VV N150 (but probably 5% under max) under the 250 gr Nosler Partition. The velocities generated by the Whelen are right in the optimum zone for good performance with the Partitions.

Default good data

Thanks all!

Float pilot: We swapped favorites in a Swedish 6.5 forum. I still love that Hornady 160 RN., by the way, Ammo King on Dimond had a variety of 6.5 in the $13 to $15 range.

Anyway, I'm gonna load the Whelen up with IMR 4064 and RL 15 . I just bought .35 Hornady 250 Round Nose, 100 each for $21.75 from Great Northern. Thats 50% less than Sportsman's!!!

I need to get up there to buy some more bullets... The last time I was there I was med-evaced up, and a few days later my wife drove me home while I was still under the influence of whatever they shot me up with during the surgery...
    I should have gone to Great Northern, but being goofed up I apparently (have no memory of it) told her to stop at SW on the way out of town.. I bought some stuff, but their shelfs (according to my wife) were almost bare and nobody there is in a big hurry to help you...

I was supposed to be there this weekend for the Aviation Trade show. (I had a table) but I do not feel like I can make it without something bad happening...

I have tried the 225 grain Kodiak Bonded bullets, I think they make a 250 grain bullet as well. They seem to work just fine at regular Whelen velocities.

Default Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

I have tried the 225 grain Kodiak Bonded bullets, I think they make a 250 grain bullet as well. They seem to work just fine at regular Whelen velocities.
    I loaded up some 250 gr. Kodiaks last year. Used one to kill a moose. I use IMR 4064.

Default .35

Walk-in: what is your best load and COL with 250 RN and IMR 4064.

Was gonna be at the aviation trade show also(for the dark side), but working for the Air Guard and training the Drahtharr this weekend.

Here's a small .35 cal bullet test I did a couple years ago trying to decide what to use in my Whelen for moose. I ended up choosing the 225gr TSX. A little faster, a little flatter and a little deeper. All those "little" got to add up, right!?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ue#Post2126454

Default my load

Quote Originally Posted by akrifle View Post
    Walk-in: what is your best load and COL with 250 RN and IMR 4064.

Was gonna be at the aviation trade show also(for the dark side), but working for the Air Guard and training the Drahtharr this weekend.
    I sent you a PM.

I had pretty much the same results as BCSTEVE doing wet paper test. I used to really like the 250 grain Speer in my 358 Norma Mag since it was so cheap compared to the others. But I hit a couple of shoulder blades with the regualr Speer bullets and they seemed to come apart rather soon thereafter.

I have ben trying to figure out a way to consistantly simulate blasting through bone. Using old dried up shoulder bones really did not work the same, And it changed the results depending on where you hit them...

Since live bone is almost like nylon... I have been thinking about using some of that white nylon cutting board stuff. Put maybe two inches of wet paper over it and then 1.5 inch piece of cutting board followed by your regular box full of wet newspaper. ( I have a huge stack of old phone books for this task. ) Unfortunately the local Gear Shed wants lots of money for the cutting board type stuff.

The Speer seems to do fine at Whelen velocities, I agree it is a bit soft for the 358 Norma.

AKRifle

For the 250 Hornady and IMR 4064,
    55.5 grains IMR 4064,
    Standard Primer, I used an old CCI200
    3.24 COL using the round nose Hornady
    Velocity was almost exactly 2,500 fps from a 24 inch barrel
    I was a good load for pressure but the gun I tried it in did not like to group well with it. 1.5 inch groups.

Maybe a mag primer would help.

Using the pointy bullets 3.38 or 3.39 COL worked, but I stopped goofing around with IMR 4064 and started using RL-15 due to time constraints.

I have some loads in a couple books for the 275 grain slugs. Supposedly they worked well in the Rem M-700s chambered for 35 Whelen.

I have no idea if I'm in the right place but I have some questions and any information would greatly appreciated....I have a .35 Whelen made by Paul Jeager circa 1953 and am just starting to work up loads. With it came several boxes of 250gr. Speer SP bullets from the same era. Are these bullets the same as todays Speer bullets? I also have a few (25) 275gr. RN of unknown origin....Any thoughts?

Anything look like these?

How weird, the photo did not come over???? Now it did....
    Attached Images Attached Images

AKRifle::::

Here are a couple of loads for the 275 grain slugs in the 35 Whelen.

57 grs of Hodgdon H380, loaded to 3.32 inches with a Standard primer.

52.0 grains of Alliant RL-15 loaded to 3.32 with a standard primer.

53.0 grains IMR-4064, standard primer (Old Ackley load)

49.0 grains IMR-3031, standard primer Old Ackely load

53.0 grains IMR 4320, standard primer old Ackley load

60.0 grains WW-760 with a standard primer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast