Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many hours on shore until your first King?

Default How many hours on shore until your first King?

Hey guys,

more questions from the rookie.

I dont know if its the name; "KING'' salmon, but I had a sort of mental block when it came to this fish. Im going to be in Anchorage and surrounding during the entire King runs from late may until early/mid august.
    For some reason, all of my prep work and tackle was geared towards reds, pinks, chum and even silvers. I dont know what it is, but in my head, there was no way I was catching a king from shore. Too big, too picky, too tough, too many people etc. I have/had tons of reasons in my mind why it would be almost impossible for me to catch a king.

I just wanted to know, how long did it take you guys to land your first king from shore? I mean, how many hours did you put at ships creek, or montana or any other of these places for bank fishing?

Im pretty hard core so if you're gonna say 60-70 hours thats fine with me. I just would like to know so don't sugar coat it!

Thanks guys/gals

Default Beginner's luck at Ninilchik....

Sheepman's dad took us to Ninilchik way back in the 70's for a Memorial weekend opener... back when a weekend was a weekend, and the lower peninsula creeks were only open on Sat and Sun.

A couple of junior high kids scrambled down the hill to stake out their spots, perhaps a quarter to half mile below the deadline, and patiently waited for the opening bell.

I hooked my first one in the dark about a quarter after midnight on a stock commercially-rigged (spinner wire with treble hook) size 00 flame red Spin-N-Glo , old-school blue Garcia spinning rod with metal guides, Quick 440 spinning reel... DAM that jerky asbestos drag! OH MY... have tackle and techniques come a long ways...
    tackle and techniques come a long ways over the past 4 decades! Minutes later, I landed the biggest fish I had ever caught up to that moment. No way I was gonna quit fishing only 20 minutes into the best fishing trip of my life... so sheepman and I extracted the hook from the mouth of the brand new 25# king and set him free.

Although I never landed another king that weekend, I was hooked for life after that trip. I also forged a life-long friendship with the best king salmon fisherman I've ever known. And on those increasinly rare occasions that we get to share the same water, magical things still manage to happen.

Get that bouncin' arm primed for July, sheepman! Let there be kings!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-30-2008 at 19:53. Reason: by request
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

hey soda, well if i rember right the first time i fished ship creek back in 1990, it took me 2 days to figure out what people were using and how to time the tides right. first king i got out of ship creek was floating eggs below a bobber, i released it and ended up catching 4 more in the first hour of high tide, finally took a 30# hen. after that i switched to going to seward limits were 2 a day and you do not have to write them on your license. and i grew up snagging.

I was new to river fishing and salmon fishing and I started fishing in mid may when the runs were slow. It took me about 40 hours to get my first. In locations where bait is allowed, use it. For me it improved my catch rate tremendously.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I hooked my first king on the Kasilof in about 20 minutes of fishing. It was my first time fishing for king salmon, but I had fished for steelhead in Oregon, so I had general idea of what tackle to use. I was casting roe, with a spin N' Glo off of the boat launch at coho cove. My friends had a boat, but there was not enough room for me, so they said they would be back in little while and swap out somebody. They started to row out into the current, and just got their lines in the water, when a 20lb hen nailed my hook. Then they had reel up and come back and net it for me.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Survey says...

I tell folks it takes about 10 hours of fishing to successfully hook and land a king at Ship Creek. And that's just me!

Every year I have to relearn how powerful these critters are, relearn how to deal with the crowds and tidal conditions, and learn from the mistakes I've made in years past.

I put in quite a few hours (up to 40 some years) getting to know the creek again, and by the time the run is in full swing I'm feeling pretty good about my ability to handle one of these juggernauts when I hook up.

It's fun and satisfying to learn what works and what doesn't work. You'll see. Just put your hours in and you'll do fine...jim

I caught my first king my third summer fishing for them. We started at the Little Su. The Little Su is a special place for us. We used to camp there on a beach every year. Catch a few Kings and get hassled by the park service or troopers was an annual event.

Our first summer on the river we caught no kings. The second year my dad got his first and I hooked my first. The third summer my dad got a couple and I got my first (46pounds) I know the next year I caught 3 and I believe the fifth year up here was when I first fished the highway streams where 6-8kings a day was the norm. The years following 12-16 a day was more normal for highway streams and I used to always get my first kings of the year from Homer.

So my first king took me easily more than 100 hours.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Hooked by luck

My first King in Alaska was from Ship Creek. I had gone there with my brother-in-law and nephew. I was tying up my rig when my nephew cast into a tree. I took his pole and after a few yanks, managed to pull the lure out of the tree. I started reeling in the line and and after getting it about two thirds the way in, it just stopped. I tried to jerk it loose from snagging the bottm. It immediately jerked back and then took off. After about 20 minutes I landed a 35lb cromey. Been hooked since. My derby winner was on the 3rd day of the derby. The first 2 days I landed about 20 kings but they were all around 20lbs or less, so I let them go. The morning of day 3, I was at my hole about 15minutes before opening. The clock hit 6:00 and at 6:08 I was hooked into a monster. At 6:30 my buddy, Kirby, helped pin it against a mud bank where I was able to "subdue" it with my "Fish Be Good" stick. I knew he was big and immediately after logging him on my license I headed for the Derby scale. It took me almost as long to get him to the scale as it did to land him.
    PM me when you're ready to fish Ship.

Default people catch a bunch of 'em every year.....

Bisket,

Go get those kings! I'll be trying for them all summer. Just don't forget to buy your king salmon stamp.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

Depends on where you are and what part of the run youre fishing in

for instance-

Ship Creek May 20- May 31st probably 20 hours+

Early June- Late June- 1-10 hours of constant fishing and youre chances are good ( If the tides good and the run isnt late)

Default First King?

Mine was an incidential hook-up on the Kenai/Russian confluence. When that monsterous head broke the surface and then dived down, I just stood there amazed as my line peeled completely off the spool and then
    popped.

It happened again later that day, but this time I simply whipped out my knife and cut the line to save my spool. I was equiped for reds and not kings.

I always avoided kings on the road system due to heavier rigs, specific spots, and added costs. Yet I have observed the locals who were there with what I avoided, and some nailed kings right from the shore. When asked to assist with their net, I did, and I distinctly remember the thanks for the help I provided.

All my fishing for kings has since been at sea. This is going change big time for me when I am on assignment with the Moose (http://www.bluemooserafting.com) on the Gulkana in July. Once again, I'll be the greenhorn in the hands of the master. He'll show me the way, I'm sure.

I'll write about it after it's over and it will be added to Moose's site. Any newcomer to shore fishing for kings will learn plenty after I spill the beans on my learning experiences. Plus, I'm with two other anlgers from Colorado who are hot-shot fly guys, and they are certain to be written about in terms of their techniques.

I am about to humbled, all over again...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Mine was an incidential hook-up on the Kenai/Russian confluence. When that monsterous head broke the surface and then dived down, I just stood there amazed as my line peeled completely off the spool and then
    popped.

It happened again later that day, but this time I simply whipped out my knife and cut the line to save my spool. I was equiped for reds and not kings.

I always avoided kings on the road system due to heavier rigs, specific spots, and added costs. Yet I have observed the locals who were there with what I avoided, and some nailed kings right from the shore. When asked to assist with their net, I did, and I distinctly remember the thanks for the help I provided.

All my fishing for kings has since been at sea. This is going change big time for me when I am on assignment with the Moose (http://www.bluemooserafting.com) on the Gulkana in July. Once again, I'll be the greenhorn in the hands of the master. He'll show me the way, I'm sure.

I'll write about it after it's over and it will be added to Moose's site. Any newcomer to shore fishing for kings will learn plenty after I spill the beans on my learning experiences. Plus, I'm with two other anlgers from Colorado who are hot-shot fly guys, and they are certain to be written about in terms of their techniques.

I am about to humbled, all over again...

Rosenberg/Florida
    There is a guy from Mississippi that used to fish the Kenai king run for a month or so every summer at Centenial Park from the bank. While he got spooled from time to time, he had landed at least one king over 70# from the bank.

about five minutes on clear creak,, two hours on the kasilof,, and thirty maybe forty hours on the deshka.. thats from the bank..

but i will never forget the first time i went to the deshka..
    my buddy and i got there around 9 pm. and the rest of our party was already there.
    well we boated over to say howdy to the boys and try a little fishing.
    they had caught two fish between 7 people in two days, and had seen only about 5 other fish caught by other folks.
    man that was disapointing news.
    well we rigged up and started fishing, after about ten cast i hooked bottom so i gave it a good jerk, and all of a sudden it jerked back,WHOAA!!! FISH ON!!!
    so it was a short battle and i got the fish pretty close to the boat, i said this must be just a dink that wasnt much of a fight at all,, about that time my buddy started stomping on the bottom of the boat and that fish dang near jerked me out of the boat, and the fight was on.
    I COULD NOT BELIVE THE AWSOME POWER THAT FISH HAD..
    well he started taking some line and one of the boys says to me tighten your drag,
    i reply no way i have been ajusting this drag for months and it couldnt take even one more click.. so he reached over and palmed my spool SNAP!!! ...
    his eyes got about the size of dinner plates,, im sorry,, im sorry he says well it didn;t bother me none i was just grateful to be there and hooking a fish was just iceing on the cake..
    well my buddy and i caught four more each and lost a couple each before 11 pm (that was when fishing time was between 6am--11pm ) and no one in our party even got a hook up.
    the next day my buddy and i caught and released over 25 each,and had countless hookups also..and for the next four days it was the same, i thought my back and wrist's would never recover from that trip..
    we had bought about thirty vibrex each before we left town and i thought man i am gonna have enough of these to last me for years, by the end of the second day we were putting pieces and parts of spinners back togeather,we were sweating it hard cuz we still had 2 days to go,, i honestly would have payed most any price for some of them vibrex..
    i have been going back every year since and have not even come close to catching that many again.. maybe this year will be the year,, i am just counting the days minutes and seconds until june 6th ..
    GOOD LUCK BISKET,, AND EVERYONE ELSE>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Talking

It was my first time fishing for Kings. My fishing buddy and I left early morning (3am) from Fairbanks and headed down to Sheep Creek. When we got there as usually they were a lot of people down on the river. My buddy found a spot close to the hole everyone was fishing I went to the end of the line of people and started to fish. It only took about 45 minutes and I was battling a 45 pound King and was done fish for the day. That was a lot of fun and sure a good way to start a fishing season.

Default king

I caught my first king in alaska on the Salcha up by fairbanks - redder than a tomato...

We had gone to the Klutina on a guided float trip. 2 women and 2 guys...I hooked 2 but couldn't land them (the Klut is faasst)..the 2 women both landed fish - girls 2 - guys ZERO..

So when we went back to squarebanks - we looked over the regs and the salcha was open - took about an hour to land both of our cherries...even smoked they are not good

I had caught "boots" in Washington on several occasions - but that tomato was much more spunky -even after coming up the Yukon for a thousand miles.

My next King in alaska was on Alexander creek. A buddy, who has since passed on, flew a friend and I to Alexander creek where he had a little boat. Kevin and Dave hooked and landed theirs early - but Dave wouldn't give up on me unless it got dark (in June - ya right) or the regs said to stop. After a 12 hour day I FINALLY hooked a dime bright sea lice ridden King and brought him to the boat. gutted and iced him and flew back to anchorage and put him right on the barby after a quick fillet....MMMMM - **** that is good stuff right thar!

Have only caught a couple more in Alaska - and last year I finally pulled one out of the Klut - along with several reds -

I am MOVING to Anchorage in 3 weeks - Timely says I

It took me 11 years to catch my first king, actually I was 11 years old, I probably would have caught some more had I used less than 15 spin and glows on my ship creek rigs

Since then I usually don't fish very hard for kings unless I have a pretty good chance of catching them or at least hooking one I probably average 1 for every 6 hours of fishing for them, lately my average has gone down quite a bit though, probably because I spend 98% of my time fly fishing for em.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default heres some advice..

last year was the first year ive ever caught anything on a pixee. we were down at ship creek tossing every lure in the tackle box, my brothers were using roe under a bobber and this kid next to me tied on a green pixee. on his second cast, he hooked into a fresh king and landed it. i immediatly tied one on as did my brothers and my co worker and immediatly all four of us were hooked up. after that day, thats all we would throw out there and we always had a sucessfull day. one more thing we figured out is that about an hour after the tide change, the bite would be really hot for about a half hour and then it would pretty much die off. if we didnt hit within that half hour we would just pack up and go home. i am now a firm believer in that green pixee with the rattles in the sac. hope this helps. man i cant wait to get on the water....

Just to weigh in, I probably spent 40 hours on ship before I caught my first king (last summer). Course once I learned the secret, I caught four more in the next 10
    hours :-).

My first took a long time. Maybe 60 to 80 hours. Then I got a few things down and found a few better spots and improved drasticly. Just as a side note I hooked several fish in that first span but was un able to land them.

Those dam fish sound really strong. Many of you have mentioned 'hooking' and not 'landing'. Thats crazy to hear. and EXCITING!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast