Thread: galvanized shrimp/crab pots

Question galvanized shrimp/crab pots

My brother claims that galvanized metal in pots emits electrolosis (or something like that) that repels crab and shrimp. Anybody have thoughts one way or the other on this.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    My brother claims that galvanized metal in pots emits electrolosis (or something like that) that repels crab and shrimp. Anybody have thoughts one way or the other on this.
    He's 100% correct
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-30-2008 at 23:30. Reason: commercial posts prohibited

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Please don't pay attention to my above post because it was edited by the moderator and i was given a infraction for in his opinion a commercial post.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thank you for answering my question. Knowing your area of expertise I know that your answer is accurate, and it answered my question perfectly. That is exactly the type of answer that I was looking for with my origional post. I apologize for my part in your recieving an infraction (leading the witness or whatever Perry Mason might call it) I value and appreciate the information that you generously share on this forum.

Default Crabbing

For crab pots they use steel rod with zincs on them. I would think it give the same reaction since zinc is used to galvanize metal. Coated wire just lasts longer than galvanized or plain steel as the salt can't reach the metal except where it is sheared or clipped. Scrape the plastic coating away and the pots rust like any other.

Just thinking.

Like these

http://www.snlcorp.com/Webpages/crabbing_supplies.htm
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 05-01-2008 at 11:48. Reason: link

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    For crab pots they use steel rod with zincs on them. I would think it give the same reaction since zinc is used to galvanize metal. Coated wire just lasts longer than galvanized or plain steel as the salt can't reach the metal except where it is sheared or clipped. Scrape the plastic coating away and the pots rust like any other.

Just thinking.

Like these

http://www.snlcorp.com/Webpages/crabbing_supplies.htm
    Dave,
    There are several types of wire out there, some made in china(soft steel), some made in italy(poor galvanize) and the best is made in the good old USA. The wire i use is galvanized after welding(GAW) to preserve the galvanize on the welds and then it is fuse bonder with vinyl. When i lobster fished back east we had the pots last for 8-10 years if we didn't lose them and they were in the water 10-12 months a year, if fact the only time we brought them in was to powerwash the grass & barnacles off them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692