Thread: cummins diesel---yes or no?

Default cummins diesel---yes or no?

I am tossing my volvo diesel and looking to repower. I am about to invest in a cummins---I need opinions! Thanx!

Default Cummins

There are several options out there for power replacements on diesel engines. Engines made by Cummins are great engines those that are made for Mercruiser by Cummins are questionable. Best site for info is www.boatdiesel.com. I have had both Cummins in the 5.9 280 hp, Volvo 32 series 170hp, and now the Volvo D-6 310. I really like the new D-6 has lots of power and hooked up to the DPH-A drive it gives me real good performance. A friend of mine has a Maxiweld Cat and he is installing 355 Cummins with Allision Surface Drives. His boat should be in the water some time in mid June and once I get the info I will post his performance. He was saying the upgrade with outdrives and welding was going to cost him $140000. The other option to look at is going with a bracket and twin outboards.

Love the 5.9 cummins in my truck, but if I were looking for diesel power for a boat, I'd likely go with John Deer. It is the hands down favorite with the commercial fishermen.

Default Repower choices

My advice is to go with Cat. for durability, fuel usage, service, and dependability Caterpillar consistantly meets or exceeds my needs and expectations.

Talking Re power

I have a Bayliner 2859 that was powered with a Cummins. I was north of Petersburg 2 years ago and the engine locked up and I had to be towed back to Petersburg. Found that the timing gear on the end of the crank broke, which bent a hole bunch of things. Two weeks later I was up and running, 10 hours later north of Myers Chuck the same thing all over again. Towed to Ketchikan, got with Mike at Lighthouse Marine and talked about what to do. Decided to pull the engine out to find out why this was happening. Could not find why this was happening and Cummins said they had not had this problem. There was only 350hrs on the motor. We decided to re power with the D4-260-DP Volvo. This was very costly, but it made a totally different boat , better fuel consumption, better curse speed, and way better top end. I'm not happy with the marine Cummins, but the Cummins in my truck , I'm very happy with.

Default HP?

What HP range are you looking at and what boat do you have?

Default re-power

I am now totally confused and about to take up golf instead. I have a 26`Osprey LC with a dead Volvo Penta KAD44(263 hp). They don`t make that engine any more and parts are scarce. I was looking into Volvo D4 300 but the local service folks say that hull modifications would be an issue. The specs on a cummins seemed to be able to plug and play w/o lots of hull modifications. I have some prejudice against Mercury but hoped that their marriage to Cummins might temper that. I guess I need more research, say regarding the John Deere. I`d go with 2 outboards but no one seems to "guarantee" the hull modification to support a couple of 150`s. Back to the drawing boards. I do appreciate your input.

I also haven't heard good things about the Cummins in high rpm applications. Your boat must have been pretty quick with the 44. If speed isn't a big issue and you like fuel economy, maybe you can look at 41s. If I remember correctly, I think they're the same block as the 44s, just not as "hot" and not electronic. As such, they seemed to last longer. I know of one with 13000 hrs and a bunch with 4000 plus. As I had lots of problems with 42s, I'm not a Volvo fan, but the 41s seemed to go pretty well if you took care of them (service, not overpropped, 32-3400 rpm). In a 26 Osprey LC with 280 DP, we used to get about 23 knots at 3200 rpm, just sipping the fuel. I'm not sure if Volvo is still building them, but I'm sure you can find a rebuild that would likely drop in to your space.

You can also look at the Yanmars.

You're probably right about the golf...

A friend has twin cats in his boat, and I don't think you could find anyone more adament about avoiding cats, due specifically to the service he hasn't received and the headaches he's had dealing with them.

Default Volvo or Yanmar

I think either one is fine,but one nice thing about volvo is that it is all volvo tip to tail and you don't get the engines guys blaming the drives guys. I have a D4 260 and besides a minor oil leak (which should be getting repaired under warranty next week) it has been awesome. I would also look at the dealership and make sure there is a good one for what ever brand you end up with. I think service is a big factor.

Chuck