Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 CB good enough for house cats?

Default 22 CB good enough for house cats?

I am looking for a new house cat round. After extensive research, I have narrowed my options down to either the 22 CB or 500 Nitro Express.

I normally take shots from around 10 yards, but may occasionally have to take a shot from up to 50 yards away.

I have also been considering setting up a bait station this year, but have never baited house cats before. Would I be safe in a ground blind, or should I use a tree stand?

Archery is the only way to go, extra points for Trad! Remember to make sure you teke the required baiting class. I have noticed that the bow and baitstation works best on ferral K9's. The best presentation is one of those big valley refuse trash cans full to the point that the lid is just barely raised. Soiled diapers is a faovorite of the ferral hound! Should be fine with a ground blind I actually like to use a natural shelter with a sliding window.

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I am looking for a new house cat round. After extensive research, I have narrowed my options down to either the 22 CB or 500 Nitro Express.

I normally take shots from around 10 yards, but may occasionally have to take a shot from up to 50 yards away.

I have also been considering setting up a bait station this year, but have never baited house cats before. Would I be safe in a ground blind, or should I use a tree stand?
    Now that is friggin' funny!!! If out in the hills and away from crowds, I would probably use my .44 mag, although shot placement is ALWAYS crucial. When they enter my yard though, bow is the way to go. I've had my eye on one cat in our neighborhood that poops in my backyard and even got in my camper once. Freaked my daughter out when she went to get in and it ran out past her. So far it has been smart enough to not be in my yard when I'm practicing shooting.

I remember reading an article in Outdoor Life (I think that was it) many years ago. A guy heard an awful sound in the alley behind him. When he went out there were two alley cats fighting something fierce. He got his bow and fired at them. For some reason I think I remember that he stuck both cats with one arrow, but maybe it was only one. The interesting part was that they were by the alley fence when he shot, and the arrow went through the cat[s] and literally pinned it/them to the wood fence. The awful sounds he had heard got worse for a little bit, and then stopped.

Baiting? Why not try calling? When I was a kid, "here kitty kitty kitty" usually worked.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Wow…………..don’t get me started on cats. My kids sandbox has been turned into the biggest litter box in the neighborhood. Last fall my wife calls me at work as asks “where is that 22 pistol……..I NEED it right NOW!” naturally that resulted in me asking what any sane husband would……….. “what the heck is going on there?” thinking someone is kicking down the door or breaking thru a window! Fortunately the answer, although still disturbing was much less dire than my first assumptions. It seems our youngest at the time had just finished fishing out a fine little cat biscuit from the sand box and carried it up to my wife to show her his new discovery. My wonderful albeit germ phobic wife instantly and on the spot declared martial law, issued a fatwa, placed a bounty and decreed death by any means known to man on any cat foolish enough to enter her range of vision. Hence the query regarding the location of the 22…………. With a bit of gentle persuasion I was able to pull her about half way back from “crazy town” by explaining how our local authorities frown upon the random extermination of pets within the city limits…………. Especially with the use of a fire arm and the penalties for such escapades could be rather expensive, severe and involve places commonly referred to as “the pokey”, “gray bar hotel”, or my favorite “the loony bin”. I was assured that no fire fights or shelling would take place before I got home, however she could not guarantee that some anti-freeze wouldn’t get spilled in the drive way!

So, back to the original topic………… I have been “told” that 22 caliber CO2 pistols lack the penetration to cleanly dispatch even small cats. 22 caliber CB caps are reportedly marginal as well unless a head shot can be achieved. 22 caliber shorts I am told perform quite well however the report is loud enough that multiple shots could draw unwanted attention. I have also been “told” that archery can be a mixed bag, as there is nothing quite as disturbing as a cat with an arrow pinned thru its hind quarters dragging itself thru the neighbors yard.

Good luck to you, and happy hunting!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Imho

i have "heard" that you can take a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle and make a nice silencer for 22lr and it takes the noise down a bit and the nieghbors are not so excitable. so you may be able to dispatch the critters in the yard

Cats is tuff! Ya dist about has to turn one inside out to stop him in his tracks! But then if ya stops him in his tracks then ya gots ta git rid of him. CB's is just right! I got the tally marks on the header above my garage door to prove it!

This is true! The neighbor guy down the street has a German Short Hair Pointer and every time he lets it out for a romp it comes home with a dead cat. He thinks his dog is a bad *****. He can just keep right on thinking that whilest he's disposing of the cats!

Somethin tells me this thread could get us yelled at!

Dern kittys ............Bad enough that my own Daughter has three here , Then I get the Neighbors too. I have found that a good lab will do the trick , even if its wounded (kitty) Then Im obligated to finish the poor thing off . I have used CB's , But sometimes the Dern things will get away then Im tasked to runnin it down to finish it off .

Default we're OK

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

Somethin tells me this thread could get us yelled at!

My understanding is that as long as we're talking about shooting cats, we're OK. However, if someone hijacks the thread to suggest that we should spray them, that would be unacceptable since this is the SHOOTING forum.

Default Cat blanket

You can make a swell comforter out of their hides, too. Easy to tan, just use the fat you scrap off the hides of cantankerous, evil minded gun toters to make things smooth. Meow!

Default All these tales reminds me...

friend Blazin' Jim and I used to head out southwest from Great Falls toward the Smith River where it dumps into the Missouri, looking for prairie dogs, bobcats, coyotes, and anything else of interest. We stopped along the way one fine day to, uh, water the flowers, when this gawd-awful sound comes from the 12 inch corrugated pipe running from one side of the two track to the other. I looked in one end, and here's two feral cats fighting over some sort of carcass......I told Jim to get outta the way, stuck the muzzle of the .308 into the end of the pipe and let fly. I'm here to tell ya that a 130 gr. Speer hollow point at 3,000 fps turns cats into a red mist. Instant silence, and about all that remained was a small tuft of fur floating in the breeze.........

Well I don't know about a cat blanket lest your not allergic to them cat-hides, however the thought of some warm liners for the boots sounds pretty nice. I was going to suggest a flat round like a .22 stinger but that really won't be needed at those kind of distances.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

walk-in &
    Alangaq:

"Mother's Day" is coming soon. Allow me to suggest a Perfect Gift for the occasion.

Present her with a box or two of "Subsonic" 22 LR ammunition.

I have both the Agilia with 60 grain bullets, and the Remington with 38 grain HP bullets.

It makes less noise than the regular stuff. I'm sure either brand, would anchor a Cat.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Comes to think of it I had to shoot the same cat three nights in a row affore he quit pissen in ma's daisies.

Default Traditonal...Silent and oh so deadly.

Field point in the bread basket... anchored and silent.

I had a cat *Fox or owl got him* that was getting pushed around by this Manx* first reason*... I mean he was tearing every cat in the neighborhood a new one....and always in my yard leaving a pile of fur *second reason*every other night.

So I stayed up one fine summer evening and took post on the deck, cold one in hand...just sitting silently...waiting...Oh...looky here....He stuck his nose right on the 10 yard marker * strategically placed only hours before* and from about a 30 degree angle 1/2 the arrow was stuck in the soft ground and he didn't make a sound. He twitched for about 10 seconds.

FORGOT one thing when I planned this. What to do with the mess caused by the white fur with bits of red all over. Good thing the neighbors didn't see me out raking at 1am.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    My understanding is that as long as we're talking about shooting cats, we're OK. However, if someone hijacks the thread to suggest that we should spray them, that would be unacceptable since this is the SHOOTING forum.

Thanks, I appreciate the sarcasm and you're right, you can shoot anything you want here.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

To answer the original question......YES the CB is more than enough to kill a cat. After all CB stands for "C"at "B"ullet doesn't it? Shoot em in the head and they die instantly, a lung shot will cause one to stretch out and run like the devil, and a gut shot will get you one heck of a leap in the air (quite funny when shooting one under a parked car). Of course "I" have never tried any of these, but was told by a very very close and reliable source!!!

Thumbs down This topic is is lacking...

I worry that this developing discussion of shooting cats has thus far not included one single word about hunter ethics. Surely you realize that in order to preserve this renewable resource for generations to come, we must address important considerations today. Intelligent discussions about shooting cats must also include feline standards of fair chase, preservation of critical cat habitat, sustainable male:female ratios, salvage of edible meat, nonmotorized access to cats on public lands, restrictions regarding aerial hunting of cats, etc.

...I had better stop now...I'm married to a cat lover (her only fault), and I could have way too much fun with this topic.

I love cats! Well two kinds of cats; Flat Cats...the kind found on the road...and other forms of deceased cats, but I gotta tell ya, a CB cap just ain't enough, sometimes you need somthin' bigger, maybe even a 22 long.

There once was this neighborhood tom cat that was apparently deprived of his own litter box at home so he had to come over to my garage everytime it was left open to relieve himself and of course to mark his territory and scratch off hair balls all over the floor. I plotted and schemed to rid the neighborhood of this rascal as he was a nuisance just about everywhere else as well. I had installed a new garage door opener and was going to devise a trap of the garage he loved so well with this new remote opener or closer as the case might be.

At about dark every evening he would come over and if the garage door was up, in he would come. Well, I raised the door then stopped it at about 1 foot up in such a way that the next push of the button on the car remote would drive the door down. I had set it at maximum torque hoping for him to experience the mashed cat syndrome. (This was before we got those cat/kid protector seeing eyes to install at about ground level.) With the truck parked outside and out of the direct line of fire, I went back in the house to watch TV with the remote in hand. After a few minutes I hit the remote and down came the door. Well I had only to do this about 118 times over the course of the next few days before it payed off.

I went out to the garage and in the glow of the newly installed garage door light, sitting quietly near the trash can, in the corner, by the door was my trophy. I quietly slipped back into the house and grabbed the old Ruger single six which I had loaded with the quietest ammo available so as not to disturb the neighbors, I'm always considerate about such things. With a cylinder full (just five, it was an old style) of CB 22 rounds I step into the dimly lit garage. One handed with the steadiest of aim (those were the days) I focused on the front sight held equally spaced between the two yellow eyes. At the very modest report, so light that the family didn't hear it over the TV or the dishwasher, the old boy tumbled in a writhing fashion and twisted himself into a cat knot there on the garage floor. I returned to my TV show, The "A" Team I believe, to wait out what I hoped to be his final mess on my garage floor. Mentally rehearsing my next steps of the clean up and disposal, pondering, where did I put those extra thick, industrial strength, trash bags.

At the conclusion of the show and ushering the youngin's off to bed, I returned to the garage to greive over the deceased.

Rats!! He was gone! A quick visual around the rather cluttered room found him backed into a corner next to my loading bench. Back for the old Ruger, I'll fix your wagon this time. With a full cylinder (six this time, this is going to be a fight) of 22 longs, no long rifles in the house (I've got to stock more ammo) I caught him running, well more like stumbling and rolling sideways, he seemed disoriented or dizzy. The words of my old sniper instructor kept playing over and over in my head, aim small miss small, the left ear, quickly find the sight.....clearly a hit in the middle of the floor, with an ear ringing report that I was sure would wake the dead as well as the neighbors and the kids. I quickly snuff the light and returned to comfort the family. Oddly no one ventured out of the bedrooms nor gave any indication they had heard anything. Good. I'll wait a while the proceed to the cleanup.

The moral of this story never send a CB to do what only a real sailor can do. A CB is just not enough when the target is hard as an old bore cats head!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I worry that this developing discussion of shooting cats has thus far not included one single word about hunter ethics. Surely you realize that in order to preserve this renewable resource for generations to come, we must address important considerations today. Intelligent discussions about shooting cats must also include feline standards of fair chase,
    Which is why I suggested the calling method.

preservation of critical cat habitat,
    I mow my lawn every couple weeks during the summer, what more do you want?

sustainable male:female ratios,
    I had a few cats as a kid. I remember them giving birth to about 7 kittens each time. Should be ok there.

salvage of edible meat,
    It's like most people shooting grizzly bear. You don't eat 'em, just make rugs. Here, you can make "kitten mittens."

nonmotorized access to cats on public lands,
    This will all be private land hunting. Almost like a game refuge right here in town.

...I had better stop now...I'm married to a cat lover (her only fault)
    What is? Being a cat lover? Or that she is married to you?

and I could have way too much fun with this topic.
    Hehe. Me too.

Just dont use less than a CB. CB is minimum and more suited to rat shooting. Especially with so many better loads out there. Are you trying to prove something by using such a small load? And while your at it dont use anything with a match label either. Match bullets are not hunting bullets!

Smallest I have used on old toms is a couple BB's held in place with wax over a long rifle case. It knocked the cat out and appeared to have done the trick. But when I pulled the cat out of the hole and laid it on its back. It began to come alive and its dead black eyes turned an evil green. It is weird to look into dull dead eyes and see them light up slow at the same time hearing the growl of a P.Oed cat. Luckily it is my habit to reload immediately after firing at a live target and I was able to give a coup de gras with a hollow point 22 short.

Cats are nothing to fool with. I have released more than I have finished off and am very careful when letting them out of a live trap. BTW an old aluminun 2' level is the best at dispatching cats but it is a close range tool.

The pound has live traps you can borrow. If you catch a cat in it the animal officer will come and pick it up for you. It may take a couple hours for them to get there but they are glad to have the help of some cat catchers out there. You do not have to worry about the cat coming back either, if you know what I mean. I use the live trap because I live in a niehborhood full of ninnies who would pee themselves if they thought they heard a shot in the dark.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast