Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brick or no brick...in shrimp pot?

Default Brick or no brick...in shrimp pot?

I have been using a little red brick in my collapsable round shrimp pots, they are a little larger, than the ones at Deweys and Donaldsons and much older. Galvanized metal and weigh about 6 pounds each. I am tired of the brick hassle and was wondering if anyone else uses a brick to keep it in place? If no one else does the brick trick I'm going to stop using it. -Thanks guys

I use the pots from Donalson's. I run floating line and no weight in the pot. I have not lost a pot yet.

Gugs

i use a couple of deweys pots with sinking line. i do not have a pot puller so i do it by hand. pots are not weighted but i have never had one drift. when setting it i make sure it hits the bottom before i mark it on my gps, always right where i left it.loose the brick.jeff

Default Pot weight

I too use the Donaldson's. I snap a 4# weight on my line, then 2 or 3 pots, then at about 300' I add a 16oz. weight to sink the floating line. My only lost pots were stolen.

I put a chunck of lead 5# in the pot. Never had the pot move. in 600 feet of water I put a 2# weight on the line so the line won't float.

Lost one pot..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I put rebar in the bottom of my pots with zip ties. Adds the weight and you don't have to hassle with free weights.

Never have weighted down any pots. Didn't realize there was a problem.

I run about 400' of floating line (orange poly) for bottom line where the pots attach. It's spliced into another few hundred feet of non-floating line for the trip up to the buoy.

Default Weights

I have a couple of old Stailess boat shaft I cut, grooved and zip tied in. 2 pots have 7#and 3 have 10#. they sure go to the bottom faster and with the puller it doesn't botther the lifting either.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Just make sure your floating line doesn't stay on top of the water. If you line damages someones boat motor you are responsible for it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I am going cold turkey and giving up the brick this year! I do use all lead line so the brick is really overkill.

Default String

I have run a string of five for 7 years now. No weight except shrimp bodies and dog food.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Can't make a pot too heavy that's all i'm gonna say.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Can't make a pot too heavy that's all i'm gonna say.
    Well, until your pot puller can't haul it up!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Well, until your pot puller can't haul it up!!
    I ain't stopped(or even slowed it down) mine yet. Lots of hydraulic power and super strong rope equals a mangled pot full'o shrimp. I throw'em in the ugliest rockpiles i can find.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Just make sure your floating line doesn't stay on top of the water. If you line damages someones boat motor you are responsible for it.
    Is this true? I had not heard it before. Not trying to "stir the pot" and I always watch out for commercial nets... But what is the difference if someone running in low light conditions hits a commercial net and damages a motor? Is the owner of the net responsible like you say the owner of the shrimp pot would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Is this true? I had not heard it before. Not trying to "stir the pot" and I always watch out for commercial nets... But what is the difference if someone running in low light conditions hits a commercial net and damages a motor? Is the owner of the net responsible like you say the owner of the shrimp pot would be?
    So if somebody crashes into your vehicle parked on the street the owner of the parked vehicle is responsible??? I/we have lights on our boat's to show that i'we are gillnetting(red over white drifting at night !!), the end of the net is marked with a buoy and a light. Don't you think you have responsibility to slow down and watch where you are going in low light or dark conditions?? If you shine your spotlight on the water the corkline of the net will be very visible. You are responsible for the damage you do to the commercial fishing gear, damage to the net, lost fishing time & loss of income. I know what i'm talking about because i've gone thru it a couple of times. OK i've said all i'll say, now all the sea lawyers can chime in !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    So if somebody crashes into your vehicle parked on the street the owner of the parked vehicle is responsible??? I/we have lights on our boat's to show that i'we are gillnetting(red over white drifting at night !!), the end of the net is marked with a buoy and a light. Don't you think you have responsibility to slow down and watch where you are going in low light or dark conditions?? If you shine your spotlight on the water the corkline of the net will be very visible. You are responsible for the damage you do to the commercial fishing gear, damage to the net, lost fishing time & loss of income. I know what i'm talking about because i've gone thru it a couple of times. OK i've said all i'll say, now all the sea lawyers can chime in !!
    If fishing dosen't pan out for you, you might make it as a lawyer.

there is allot of gray area. Now with damage to set netters gear I agree with you. It's the boaters responsibilty.

I forgot where I read it that mentioned about floating line and the responsiblity of the person who puts the pot in the water.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Potbuilder and Alaska Grey- I am not disaggreeing with either of you and I am always diligent and watch for nets and anything else for that matter while I am boating. I have NEVER had a problem with either shrimp pot lines or commercial nets and always give them a wide berth. I was just courious about the responsibilities.

And just for fun... Yes if you crash into a car parked more then 18 inches from the curb, in a red zone, or otherwise parked illegally, the owner of the parked car is responsible for damages.

Wink I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    And just for fun... Yes if you crash into a car parked more then 18 inches from the curb, in a red zone, or otherwise parked illegally, the owner of the parked car is responsible for damages.
    Why would anyone crash into anything that was parked, regardless of where? Just a thought....
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I have never had a problem out there. But I use do caution when I know set netters our out there. I just slow it down...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast