Thread: Where and What do I fish for between July 2nd and July 10th

Default Where and What do I fish for between July 2nd and July 10th

I am meeting my son in Alaska on July 2nd. The dates were set based on when he could take military leave. I have spent quite a bit of time on the AF&G website and it seems I am too late for kings and too early for pinks and coho. It also seems the stocked lakes are not a good bet at this time because the fish disperse and go deep. I will be hooking up with him in Anchorage. What is the best bet for fishing during the first week in July??

Default Are you willing to travel?

Are you able to get around or are you trying just around the Anchorage area? If you travel and take charters you should be able to get offshore kings and maybe some early silvers at just about any coastal town.

For us over in Kodiak our road system will still have sockeye maybe some early pinks and offshore is always good for halibut, kings, lings, silvers and pinks.

Good Luck

Kings should be running strong in most areas. Reds and a few early pinks will be in too.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default kings to be had...

Quote Originally Posted by bitblower View Post
    I am meeting my son in Alaska on July 2nd. The dates were set based on when he could take military leave. I have spent quite a bit of time on the AF&G website and it seems I am too late for kings and too early for pinks and coho. It also seems the stocked lakes are not a good bet at this time because the fish disperse and go deep. I will be hooking up with him in Anchorage. What is the best bet for fishing during the first week in July??
    Nope, you won't be too late for kings. The second run of Kenai kings goes thru the month of July. And some of the streams in the mat-su valley are still open for kings thru mid-july...I believe all the road-accesible streams up there will be closed for kings at that time, but others like the Deshka (need a boat and/or guide) should be open until mid-July.

You're kind of in between runs for reds (sockeye) on the Kenai/Russian, but there may be a few around.

Contact Mahay's Riverboat Service in Talkeetna and get in on their Clear Creek drop-off. You can camp at the mouth of Clear Creek and do great on king salmon right then. After you catch your king for the day, you can hike upstream (but be VERY careful to watch for bears) and fish rainbows to your heart's content. That would be my #1 choice at that time.

second run of kings are pretty close in seward, halibut should be heating up if your on a charter you should be able to pick up some silvers, got my first silver 4th of july last year out near lone island out of whittier. fishing should be very good at that time, but depends on where you go.jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Contact Mahay's Riverboat Service in Talkeetna and get in on their Clear Creek drop-off. You can camp at the mouth of Clear Creek and do great on king salmon right then. After you catch your king for the day, you can hike upstream (but be VERY careful to watch for bears) and fish rainbows to your heart's content. That would be my #1 choice at that time.

Brian, how much does that kinda thing cost roughly? Sound like it'd be a blast.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Brian, how much does that kinda thing cost roughly? Sound like it'd be a blast.

Jon
    Last year it was $55 per person, but this year it will probably go up with fuel cost.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Default Thank you for the responses

I really appreciate every ones help! The clear creek thing looks pretty good and seems much more affordable than flying in some place.

Shawn, to answer your question: No, Anchorage is just where we are meeting. My son needs to get a vechicle out of storage and then he will meet me in Anchorage. We want to go where ever the fish are after that.

Thanks to everyone again!

Just so you're aware, you won't be alone at Clear Creek. It can be moderately busy there, but if you're camping out you'll find time to hook into a king.

Were I you... knowing what I know...

I'd bring a fly pole (consult AKPM on make/model) and hit the ponds.

When I was in the car rental industry (17 or so years in Alaska) there was always a large dip in travel during the week of the 4th. Between family reunions and potato salad, you should be able to find resonable prices on transportation.

Get out, find water, and tease it!
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Try Seward. Silvers will be heating up at Poney Cove by then. There are combo charters available. I wont be home then or I would offer to take you.

I really appreciate every ones help! The clear creek thing looks pretty good and seems much more affordable than flying in some place.

Shawn, to answer your question: No, Anchorage is just where we are meeting. My son needs to get a vechicle out of storage and then he will meet me in Anchorage. We want to go where ever the fish are after that.

Thanks to everyone again!
    If you are sticking to the road system I recomend buying 'Highway Angler'
    It is a great guide to rivers, lakes, run timing, etc.

Hit the archives here - there are kings to be had in many rivers - and the reds may be starting in a few - a bit early for them though maybe....

Until you've felt the power of a king in skinny fast water you haven't hooked a fish

I talked to one of the guys from Mahay's at the sportsman show. He said they were planning on keeping the cost at $55 for Clear Creek. But he did say that they were going to stick to a schedule more and not head up without a full load.

Tri-Rivers is another outfit that does the drop off.

Default Ferry System

Throw that car on the ferry and come over to Kodiak. Sockeye will be really hot at Saltery Cove along with Kings, Halibut, Silvers, Lings and rock fish offshore.

If you do decide to come over make sure you call some of the B&B's around Kodiak, it will save you a ton of money.

If you have any questions shoot me line.

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    I talked to one of the guys from Mahay's at the sportsman show. He said they were planning on keeping the cost at $55 for Clear Creek. But he did say that they were going to stick to a schedule more and not head up without a full load.

Tri-Rivers is another outfit that does the drop off.
    In case you're not aware, This cost only includes the ride up and back down the river. You have to bring all your own fishing and camping gear. Most folks already know this, but it'd suck to show up on the day of your trip assuming they provide the stuff.