Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpack Trip Food Menu?

Question Backpack Trip Food Menu?

this may be a question directed to more of the DIY sheep hunters out there than anyone else...i am going on a week long backpack trip via air taxi into 20E the end of May. i plan to wonder 8-10 miles per day (obviously off-trail) and would like your ideas on breakfast, lunch, and dinner foods that are light and easy to prepare with or without hot water. Yes, I am aware of freeze-dried foods, but am looking for additional ideas.

i remember as a kid my dad simply packed us peanut butter and a few hard rolls, but i never appreciated that when the fish in the high mountain lake we packed into refused to bite for three days

input?

You should get back to work old man! Bagels, peanutbutter, trail mix of your own making (I like adding a bunch of dried fruit), and mountainhouse are my staples. Trailmix in the morning, peanut butter and bagels with trailmix and some fruit for lunch, mountain house at night, repeat. You'll drop about 10 lbs from the hiking and lack of food but it makes you meaner.

Default Breakfast

I'm not a sheep hunter but for breakfast when we float I take packets of oatmeal. Two packets for breakfast usually keeps me fed until lunch time.

Default Food for back pack

It depends how much nutrition your body is going to require (everyone is different and built different). Assuming your trying to travel light, top-ramen taken out of its original pack and food savor sealed, protein powder, your choice of protein bars(1 per day), any light package type cereal like oatmeal or wheat, Dry cereal (to snack on), dry fruit, beef jerky or similar, and some instant hot tea bags for every couple days, tea has anti-oxidents and will prevent you from gettin' sick and will give you energy....Sounds like a scouting trip.

Thumbs up Breakfast Fud

For simplicity, efficiency, and generally light weight...
    • Instant Oatmeal (two packages per day).
    • Folgers or Maxwell House coffee singles (two per day).
    Breakfast...
    • Boil water.
    • Make Coffee with coffee single.
    • Drink Coffee
    • Put Two Oatmeal packages in coffee cup.
    • Eat Oatmeal
    • Make another cup of coffee in cup... now the coffee has texture (grin)... use the bag to clean the inside of your cup.
    Fed, Warm, Alert and the dishes are done!
    Now go hunt.

Default Lunch Fud

You'll want something with lotsa nutrition, easy to eat, portable, and not too smelly.

So... that probably excludes a hot meal for lunch.

Trail Mix... go to CostCo, Sams (or the like). Big old bag of M&Ms, Big Bag of Dried Fruits (raisins, cranberries, papaya, whatever trips your trigger), Bag of Nuts (peanuts, hazel, walnut, etc.)... maybe toast some oatmeal ... Toss it all together... make yourself ziplock bags with a little more than you think you'll eat for each day you'll be hunting.
    You'll be glad you had some extra -- burning calories; plus the xtra makes good snacks.

Beef Jerky. Buy it or make it. In either case bring it.
    Good pick me up... if you eat just a little bit. The salt can be a God send when you've been working hard for a few days.

Default Dinner Fud

Mountain house is hard to beat. Lightweight, full of good stuff, doesn't use a ton of water (ie... easy to get enough water boiling for dinner). Price is not bad.

For a more liesurely pursuit... try this.

Bag of Mohatma (sp?) red beans and rice.
    Follow instructions... boil water, etc.
    Drop in some summer sausage (diced).
    Mmmm... good stuff.

Might even throw it in a flour tortilla.

Takes a little while to cook, so be sure you wont hurt your fuel reserves.

Thumbs up Dessert

Instant pudding.
    Powdered Milk.

Make the milk in a zip lock (just add water, stir).

Pour the pudding mix into the milk filled zip lock...

Close the bag... squeeze it few times to mix it up...

Alaskan streams are pretty chilly.

Put the bag in a stream... anchor with a rock.

Substitute with Jello if you have a little bit of extra hot water...

Retrieve after dinner... a little something sweet after a hard day hunting.

Default Lean and mean

If you are looking at the very basics. Minute rice...but eat it raw. It doesn't take a whole lot to fill you up, and it expands through out the day to keep you full. It also is a carbo loader that will keep your core warming. Look elswhere for luxuries! Costco has the dried fruit bags pretty cheap. Remove from original pkg and mix into food saver vac pack. Add water or eat dried. Take powdered Propel mix to add to water for drinking.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

For breakfast two oatmeals per person and a trail mix type dry and light bar. For lunch two cliff bars and a candy bar (substitute the breakfast for lunch if you want to get going early and can take a break to heat water in the day for lunch). For dinner I like a combination of MTN houses and I take the hamburger helper (tuna, chicken etc..) strip the boxes down, substitute dry butter or powered milk as appropriate then either substitute the burger with sausage of other meat product, often use the chicken in the little bags that don't require to keep cold/frozen. I like tortillas for a little extra dinner supplement (instead of packing a loaf or bread or similar).

hey all, i appreciate the great ideas. keep them coming, and THANKS!

Default food

Im in the 2 oatmeals in the morn camp, with coffee or tea/ dried meat, fruit, gorp, or bar snack for lunch/ mtn house for dinner, emergen-C packet, chunk of chocalate.

You can also take your hunting partner's food or raid a plane that has been parked at the landing strip at the bottom of the mountain.

Tortillas are light and compact instead of bread or bagels.

Don't forget to take a few treats, just a few for when you get bored of the normal food. Have a pack of m&m's or a snickers bar.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Flat

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Tortillas are light and compact instead of bread or bagels.
    However, if you were to pack the bread/bagels in a vacuum sealed bag... and then put it in your pack... you will have a tortilla like substance.

Seen it with what was sure to be wonderful PB&J sandwiches... just didn't look right....

Default All these

suggestions are great ideas, but I guarentee you that you will loose weight, no matter what
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default couscou

I had some couscou some years ago that had some flavoring into it, all I can find now is plain. anybody know where there is some flavored at?

Default ideas...

Taking out the hot water, choices go down quick. I have recently found some Metrx (msp?) bars that are called Metrx Big 100. They have about 400 calories per bar. On our float trips, we take bagels and the bacon that does not have to be refridgerated. We also take country ham that is kept vacuum sealed at room temp. Common in the south, not sure about where you live. That makes a great breakfast. Since we use water in most our meals, I can't help much.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default local grocer

Quote Originally Posted by outdsman View Post
    I had some couscou some years ago that had some flavoring into it, all I can find now is plain. anybody know where there is some flavored at?
    I have found it with lotsa flavors (chicken, parmesian, etc.) All in the rice/beans aisle

Good luck!

At the risk of sounding like a greeny weany go to backpacker.com and search there for some ideas. I like to bring a handful of hard candies like Jolly Ranchers to suck on while hiking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast