Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: you buy a boat...Then what

Default you buy a boat...Then what

I am purchasing a 93 wooldridge Alaskan 17'6" with a 2000 90 horse Merc Jet. The boat was just gone through by Grant Wooldride himself in Seattle and some repairs were made. I talked to Grant today and he said the boat is mechanically sound and went over all the repairs they performed with me. Aparently the boat was trailered improperly (dirt roads with only the bow strap for years) which caused some stress fractures. The boat was re welded and some supports were added. Then it was pressure tested for leaks (filled with water I guess) and per Grant is stronger than it was new. This is all sidebar info for this post but here is the meat of it. I am a total noob when it comes to boating. I don't know how to read rivers, I dont know what I have to have on the boat, I don't know what I have to do to register/license it, I don't have the foggiest where I can use it or where to go once I leave any of the launches.
    I can find Deshka and Burma Landing. I understand there is a way to hunt the Haul road from a boat but I have never tried and only have second hand info as I have not been up there. I don't know which rivers are passable though I think that may be half the fun exploring with this boat. Anyway the plan was 4 wheelers this year but I hope to get more use out of this for the whole family, hopefully you all can point me in the right direction for both fun AND safety! (my kids are ages 1-6 all boys and I hate leaving them and momma home)

Default Use it!

LuJon,
    I just sold a 17-5 Wooly w/ 115/80 Yamaha and they are great boats with some limitations on how much you can haul.
    The most weight I had in my boat was about 1200 pounds, while that wasnt the max it was close. That included 70 gallons of fuel 3 men and gear on a fishing trip. I had to run the Yam at 5100 to stay on step. I assume the merc is 60ish HP at the Jet?
    These are great boats, will run in very shallow water with great handling, it is a awesome setup, for fishing it will work fine. if you plan on loading it with a moose it will fill up in a hurry and you may need to make several trips.
    We made a trip last fall up the wood river and the boat will run in 3-4 inches of water, its a blast!
    Just get out and use, make sure you have some safety gear, first aid kit is always a good idea, a couple of paddles and some type of swede saw to cut poles if you get stuck, you can use them for prying or cut rollers to go underneath. a come along with some wire rope can be handy if you have something to hook to, wire rope wont stretch. You can hook to a anchor and pull on that as well.
    Choose your rivers carefully if you are just getting started, inquire here or at the boat shops to get the low-down on the particular spot your going to.
    You can use this boat on most any river, register at DMV and enjoy!!!!
    I am sure many on this sit will have more good info to add.
    Akgramps

Air boats hunt the haul rd. Some people use jets. It's very rocky and can be very shallow. See allot of boats that do run the sag use skid bottoms. Teflon coating to the bottom of the boat.
    Also there is a place in Anchorage on Tudor right before Bragraw a wooden building next to a car wash. This place will give you life vest for your young kids. They also inspect and install car seats if you need help. I picked up two life vest for my 1 year old twins.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm a newbie boater, too. I plan to find a boat launch and practice launching and retrieving my boat about a dozen times. I'd rather not be the guy that ends up on youtube looking foolish at a busy launch
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Default no-fun

Yer no-fun, boat launches are a great scource of entertainment!!!!

Default Find the sweet spot

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    I'm a newbie boater, too. I plan to find a boat launch and practice launching and retrieving my boat about a dozen times. I'd rather not be the guy that ends up on youtube looking foolish at a busy launch
    Every boat/trailer rig has a sweet spot that it likes to be in the water when loading. As you practice try it wetter or drier and you will find it before too long, this is the first step in looking like a pro or a schmo. Also, if you have a roller trailer, never back up to the launch with your safety chain off, dumping your transom on the asphalt is more than embarassing, it's expensive and dangerous. AND, always check your boat plugs before putting in. Even seasoned boaters are OCD on this since it is a huge pain in the butt if you return to the boat from the parking lot to find a foot of water in the bottom.

Not that I've done any of these things myself .

Also, hip boots and waders make loading sooooo much easier. I hate standing behind a guy in tennis shoes trying to put his monster boat on the trailer (not in the sweet spot) and watch him shimmy along the trailer to get to the winch, only to find that the current put him one roller off while he was fartin around and then he has to do it again, meanwhile I am in a holding pattern, wadered up, ready for my 45 second loading routine.

I'd watch a busy landing for a while and it becomes clear very soon who knows the drill and who's without a clue. Just get your boat safe and loaded right, THEN pull off to the side before you start putting gear away, rubbing scum off, fastening canvas buttons, locking windows, etc etc etc etc....I've launched boats in a half a dozen states over the years and it is shown that fishermen can be the same everywhere

Also, many folks are willing to help (I always am) and if things are just goin way wrong, don't feel funny to ask. The folks in line behind you would rather help and get you on your way, than point and giggle while their fishing time is shortened.

Enjoy, be safe and have fun.

Thumbs up Learn by doing

There are some threads here that you can read about jet boating and "skinny water."

The best thing to do is to put her in a lake and start learning.

By this time next year you will be posting here as an expert.

Remember to share your adventures with us and provide pictures!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I have great respect for the folks at Wooldridge. I would trust what they told you about the boat is correct.
    Once you get the boat first install all the required safety gear and the anchor, docking ropes etc. Do not head out to a river!
    Jets are much more difficult to "steer". Wait till the ice goes out and launch it a couple of times in one of the local lakes.
    Hope you new boat brings you and your families many good memories.

And since you are new to Alaska boating I really hope you enjoy standing in a cold shower and ripping up 100 bills!
    Tennessee

Default follow the leader.

Do you know anyone that has a jet boat? I learned by following guys that knew the rivers well. make sure you follow at a safe distance, as an outboard jet doesn't slow down or stop real well. This year I plan on taking a guided fishing trip up the talkeetna with mayhays, and asking them to give me some pointers on running that river. There is going to be a CG inspection at That welding/prop shop(can't remember the name??) on the palmer wasilla highway in a few weekends. Great advice on what you need, and require. Like a bunch of people told me to do is take it out on finger lake, or any lake for that matter, and figure out how this thing handles. I could go on and on, but keep posting your questions, theres alot of good advice on here. I got a 20' wooly, and it surprises me how shallow it goes!

Congratulations, I bet you'll have a blast. A day on the water beats riding atv's any day of the week in my book.

you buy a boat...Then what
    You get it wet. Also a few peices of safety gear are required by law like an airhorn, throw ring, flare gun, life vest for each person on the boat, and current registration. These are not required by law but they are needed in any power boat two paddles, bowline rope, anchor and a tank full of gas.

You could start by taking your new boat to Knik. The river, in general, is wide and deep at the Glenn Highway launch. You'll probably want to stay away from the tailrace slough until you are ready for some shallow water. The best part about Knik is the launch is free. I believe the best way to learn is by first hand experience. I'd just get on the water and play around and become familiar with the boat. If you are afraid of shallow water, for the time being, play around in the main channel of Knik until you gain more confidence.

My kids have been ice fishing finger lake several times with grampa, perhaps it is time to go have some summer fun when the ice is out. It helps that the lake is only about 3 miles from my house so it would make for a quick shake down/fishing run! I am a noob when it comes to jet boating but I have run plenty of big 3-up wave runners so I at least understand that no power equals no steering! Thanks for all the input so far and I appreciate any additional ideas or information.

Water Gremlin- How far can one run up the kinik river? I drew hunter creek sheep (DS126) and hadn't thought about using the boat for access untill just now...

A jetboat can make it to the glacier, but you have to account for your driving abilities too. tjm and I almost made it to the glacier a couple days ago in his XS, but we were turned around by a rock garden. The water is much higher in the summer and those rocks won't be poking out. Once you are around the Jim Creek area the river starts to braid and there are scattered shallow stretches from that point to Friday Creek, then the last 5-8 miles is rocky. It's a matter of being able to read the river and taking the best channel. I'd say difficulty level is 5 out of 10.

Hunter creek is kinda tough to find in a boat, I doubt you'll be able to make it very far up that creek. You'd be better off accessing the sheep grounds from the road.

Lujon,
    I have a 06 sportjon and I run quite a bit out of deshka so maybe you can follow me and Hunt_AK or AlaskaLanche when we go fishing up the deshka or around the landing. I would suggest you launch it in a lake first though to learn how it handles. I grew up running waverunners so like you I had a little advantage. Not sure whats on finger lake (never been there) but if you can find a waterski course (Nancy lake has one) then you can practice running through tight spots and putting the boat where you want. Good luck and maybe we'll see you out there.

Polarisblake

Notes:

Backup until the top of the fenders is just under the water to launch or recover. I hand launch most places with hip waders. Fast and easy.

Go to Big Lake or Finger when it opens up and cut squares in the water. Left and right. Learn how to spin it out. Learn that to turn you MUST be under power (if you chop the throttle, you go straight!!)

Go to Performance on Potter and get a new bowl and spare parts for your jet. Make sure you know how to disassemble the jet AND have enough tools to do the job. Correct shimming will save you money and get more power to the water.

I suggest a fishfinder with GPS and an Alaska Gazetteer.

Get a flush kit. EVERY TIME someone works on your boat. Check everything twice and run the motor.

Spare bearings for the trailer. Make sure you have the correct wrench for the lugs. They seem to run smaller than truck lug nuts.

Google Earth is your friend.

Mike

Default haul road

I'm not going to try and deter you from running the rivers off the haul road, they can be a great hunt, but they are dangerous rivers, and require a good deal of respect. I would recommend getting quite a bit of experience before heading up there. You should not have a problem with the jet though, I've run a Prop and lift on a jon boat up there before.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Well I am a little nervous I got the info back from the bank today and the boat goes in for an appraisal tomorrow. I should know by noon or so whether the boat is going to make the cut. I would sure hate to go back to shopping...
    I have been watching this video with the kids so it sure would suck to let them down!

Thats futonman's rig over at riverjet forum. Nice setup, BUT, thats A LOT of motor hanging off the back. 500 lbs for that 135 Honda 4stk vs 360 or so for a 115 E-tec.
    I think the set up you're considering will work quite well. From everything i have heard about, 2 stroke is the way to go for jet boats. Its like the world of sleds, the 4 strokes are nice, and when turbo'd, rule the point and shoot world, but when it comes to the boondockin type of riding, which is very similar to skinny water boating, 2 strokes are hard to beat. Power to weight.
    I'm thinking this weekend i'll be out on the water

Default Drive it, break it, fix it, drive it, break it, fix it

It goes on for years like this. Run-em hard, run em fast, and when ya break em, fix em. Hmmm.. Not much help am I.. I'll go now.. Safe boating, godspeed, and get as far up the deshka as you can without destroying the impeller. (I say this because it's a good place to start getting stuck)

Chris

Fathers Day Finger lake, group of long time boaters out for the day to play you will see people there with hunderds of jet boat river hours chance to ask questions and see what a boat will do.

LuJon, If you know absolutly nothing about boating what got you into it and why did you pick "that boat"? Boats are a very expensive "toy".

BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast