Thread: Barrel Band Studs

Default Barrel Band Studs

Upon reccomendation from my gunsmith, I took my 375 back yesterday for him to put a front barrel band swivel stud on the barrel instead of tapping the forearm of the stock. Is there any advantages or disadvantages going this way.

I will admit I do like the looks, but what about functionality?

The benifit is saving your left hand (right hand shooter) from being raked by the swivel stud in the forearm from the relatively high recoil. When it is forward on the barrel this won't happen.

I was steadying my 375 (with a forearm stud) on a 2 by 4 railing with my hand just aft of the swivel stud, when I learned this the hard way. It immediately became clear to me why safari rifles have barrel bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    The benifit is saving your left hand (right hand shooter) from being raked by the swivel stud in the forearm from the relatively high recoil. When it is forward on the barrel this won't happen.

I was steadying my 375 (with a forearm stud) on a 2 by 4 railing with my hand just aft of the swivel stud, when I learned this the hard way. It immediately became clear to me why safari rifles have barrel bands.

Ouch!! I hope the 2X4 wasn't damaged. My left trigger finger has a permanent ding in it from forend studs continually bombarding it. All new rifles have it on the barrel with a band.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?