Thread: Palmer Hay Flats

Default Palmer Hay Flats

Just got reassigned to Elmendorf from Arizona. Needless to say there wasn't much duck hunting to be had there. I'm a die hard waterfowler from wisconsin. This will be my first year hunting in Alaska and I can hardly contain my excitement. I'm really interested in hunting the hay flats this fall. Any info would be much appreciated. What species frequent the flats? I do more trophy hunting than meat hunting. Looking for nice drakes of all species.

As for nice drakes good luck maybe cordova. But you will have to work real hard to pick up nice drakes on the flats. By the time they start to change the water gets hard. But hay you never know, with global warming and all . As for species mallards. pintail, gadwall, green wing teal, northen shoveler,american wigeon, canns, redheads,ring necks, greater scaup,golden eye, bufflehead, for the most part. I have shot two blue wing teal and know a guy thats shot 3 And thats in the last 12 years or so. As for hunting the flats and get to where the birds are, you really need a boat ( with a jet) at least. A mud motor would be best. I do run my 15 hp outboard prop down there from time to time, but the water can get skinny. Also if you have a boat to big to portage you will have to leave it in the knik or the slough depending on witch way you go down. If you leave it, you had better watch the tides incomings not bad (unless it's a big bore tide )it's the out going that will get you. I sugest you go down there and spend some time and learn how the tide works. More then a few boats will never come home. The year before last, I think 4 were lost. One I know of (brand new with a new mud motor) is in the bottom of rabbit slough. Most people go down in boats that can be portaged and then you can hunt the lake system. Read your regs on the days you can go down during summer. Also be sure to take tools ,extra gas, oil, or anything else you might need. It's a long walk out.
    I won't tell you everything you need to know. But if you read the regs and spend some time down there you will figure it out on your own. And will appreciate what you learn even more. I will tell you, a good start would be with a look a google earth. that sould give you a idea what your looking at. Good luck, be safe and don't stand in one place for to long. You'll know what I mean when you find it.

AK Duckman hit it on the head, you don't really see any full color drakes until about the freeze, then you only have a short amount of time until they leave. Not much oportunity for trophy hunting waterfowl up here. You might try hunting sea ducks, other waterfowlers have posted some pictures on here of some beautiful harlequin drakes in full color. Mostly what you are going to see on the flats are ducks in eclipse.

It don't matter to me, I love to hunt any kind of duck.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Raptor, you must not heard the news??? All new personnel assigned to Elmo will go TDY during the first two hunting season. Don't worry we will send you pictures
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for all the info, trying to study up on some spots to hit this fall. Alaska Gray, knowing my luck that's what will happen. I'll get all geared up and ready to go and then, oh by the way we're going to guam for four months. Lets hope that doesn't happen

What do you do? I just got into duck hunting a couple of seasons ago and love it. I wish the season was longer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

(Being very vague on purpose here) I work with the Raptors out here at the base. I've been waterfowling for over 10 years now and love it. I'd rather be in the duck blind than doing just about anything else