Thread: Trolling for Kings

Default Trolling for Kings

I was hoping to get some advise on methods for trolling for feeder kings during the winter/spring. I have been somewhat succesful trolling near steep rock cliffs and kelp beds later in the year but haven't had too much luck in winter/spring (it is still pretty much winter out here in Dutch Harbor). Is trolling deep (100-200 ft) better in the cold water?

Default Go Deep

I caught a king with 220ft of downrigger cable out yesterday. (a personal deep record) I was probably at 160ft with the way the downrigger angle was. All the feed in my area is off the beach in 400ft of water now. 5 boats were working the beach and got skunked.

The most productive area's I've found for winter/spring kings are high spots and reefs near very deep water. I search the charts for 20-30 fathom high spots and go fish them. You really need to criss cross them several times as they position themselves differently on each hump. As a general rule, if a hump holds a rockfish, it can hold a king salmon. It can be a pain in the butt catching those rockfish when you are trolling deep, but it must be done to catch the kings. This winter I did well with 140ft of downrigger cable out. Trolling with the tide.

Some tricks I've learned are:
    Use 40lb Power Pro for deep trolling. You can troll miles with a rockfish if you use mono. You can detect the smallest firecracker with Power Pro.

Avoid Herring. Use Plugs or Hoochies.

Tide is everything. Fish will bite on certain high spots on certain tides. It takes lots of time/effort to get it figured out.

The best high spots are not on the chart. You gotta find them.

Learn exactly what you are looking at with your fish finder.

I would love to winter/spring fish out of dutch, as I'm sure you would have zero competition.

Default Where?

270ti
    Where are you fishing out of?

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips. The weather is being cooperative this week (it appears anyway) so I am going to try and fish some of those piles and see if I can turn up a king of two. The rockfish out here are pretty thick so I expect I will be cycling through alot of them.

We Found That The Kings Are Real Close To The Bottom Feeding On Sand Worms..in 70 Feet Of Water I Had The Balls At 69 Feet....but Pay Close Attention To The Sounder....

Quote Originally Posted by akdoshin View Post
    Thanks for the tips. The weather is being cooperative this week (it appears anyway) so I am going to try and fish some of those piles and see if I can turn up a king of two. The rockfish out here are pretty thick so I expect I will be cycling through alot of them.
    Good luck and report back! The Commercial trollers in SE AK are shut down now, so I'm expecting some really good fishing on the big tides next week. I'm ready to hook into some 40lb + white kings! We have a run of big white kings that shows up in May. Not many of them, but they are big! A sportfisherman caught a 40lb king last week.

Memorial day last year I put a 48lbs white king in the skiff. It will be tough to top, but I'm gonna try.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    270ti
    Where are you fishing out of?
    South Cove Harbor.. (POW)

I was looking through pics and I like this one. Dec 26 of 2007. I had also caught a king a few days earlier, so yes, we ate fresh king for Christmas dinner. Fishing a high spot in a very cold wind and nasty chop with 160ft of downrigger cable out. Cold doesn't even begin to describe it. I remember thinking "@#@$#% rockfish!" and then having this one almost pull the rod out of my frozen hands. I fish solo in the winter.. most aren't stupid enough to go out with me or they get whiney when they get cold. Had a friend snap the pic when I pulled up to his beach to show it off.

Hi! Given the popularity of hoochies..........does anyone troll with actual squid? If no why not? Seems like it might work.

Just asking!! I am getting a boat soon, and am going to start trying to troll. Always wondered why I never saw anyone say they trolled with Squid. Thanks.

The nice thing about hoochies, is that their are a million different colors and they can represent just about anything the salmon eat. For example, last summer in August the coho's really were eating those little cod on the inside waters. They were just full of them. I killed coho's on a Yo Zuri brownish/goldish colored hoochie, when I could barely buy a bite on other colors.

That being said, I haven't heard of anybody trolling real squid. I've thought about it though. Back when I was crewing on trollers, I gutted plenty of salmon with 4-5inch squid in their stomaches. A few spots in my area you will actually see them floating near the surface at different times of the summer. If I see them, I stay put, as the kings will be along shortly...

Default Dutch Kings

I fished out of Dutch for five years. We fished all year round and you never need to troll deeper than 100'. Most of the time you can hook up at 40-60'. There are about a dozen folks who troll for Kings in Dutch-Your best bet is to make a friend of one of them. Try out in front of the second waterfall. Or in tight at Nanteeken. My only regret in moving from Dutch is no longer having the best salt water King fishing on my doorstep with almost no competion. A very well kept secret (until now!).
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I trolled for about 6.5 hours today, targeting the humps and reefs near deep water (over 20 fathoms). I caught an incredible number of rockfish and a small halibut, but no kings. I do see why you recommed not using the monofilment - tough going at depths over 100 ft.

The trolling speed I maintained was between 2-3 mph but was wondering if it would be better to go a little slower?

Quote Originally Posted by akdoshin View Post
    I trolled for about 6.5 hours today, targeting the humps and reefs near deep water (over 20 fathoms). I caught an incredible number of rockfish and a small halibut, but no kings. I do see why you recommed not using the monofilment - tough going at depths over 100 ft.

The trolling speed I maintained was between 2-3 mph but was wondering if it would be better to go a little slower?

I like 2.5mph or something in that range. I've never found speed to be critical, but I guess some guys have. I look at the angle of my downrigger cable more than anything. I found this chart on the 'net that helps me out. It beats taking a calculator out with you.

You might not be able to fish those spots if the rockfish are that thick. I have a power troll fleet working many of the same spots I fish to keep the rockfish populations under control. I could imagine your humps being infested with them without much pressure. Try those spots next Dec-Feb and see if the rockfish are gone. I am moving into my summer trolling spots as those little firecracker rockfish have showed up, and they love biting hoochies.

Default Sweeeet!

Well that's a skookum little metal boat you've got there. And the fish ain't bad either! Thanks for the pictures!

Smile Disappointed Whittier Kings

Whittier Spring Kings are going to be Disappointed to know that they got caught in 300 to 400 feet of water, on Herring and a Hoochie while not trolling or using a Downrigger. But rather sinking straight down and just popping my kicker in and out of gear to make the bait go up and down thru the herd. Glad they don't read forms like this to know that they shouldn't of been dinner

Default I Tried Trolling With Squid

Akbrownsfan -In a "previous life" I was a power troller and fished for a number of years out of Sitka. Back during the 90s I saved smaller squid from blocks of blackcod bait and tried them out on numerous occaissions for winter kings with no takers. I tried fishing them behind a hotspot flasher on a hook-up very similar to the normal hootchie arrangement. I also tried adding a sliver of squid to the hootchies I was using to add some smell.

Unfortunately, I found them to be very fragile (even salted), and after awhile I lost interest in re-rigging them and sending them down while at the same time catching Kings on hootchies and spoons.

Default montague kings

south side of the island. the kings will stay for a couple months strong (may-june)before jetting to thier final destination. it's,freakin' wonderful.

Default montague kings

curious to see who responds (captains) let me know

Default Success

Spent Sunday trolling outside of Eider Point in about 100 ft of water. Caught many,many rockfish and two kings - one about 17 and one about 15. The smaller one was full of sandlance so I guess the bait is starting to show up outside of the Bay. Both kings were caught on a blue and white fly trolled behind a green flasher going against the tide. Seems like I couldn't catch even a rockfish going with the tide.

Hope that the weather cooperates later this week when I have more time off.

Good job! Post some pictures..