Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ibep proficiency test

Question Ibep proficiency test

I have the IBEP proficiency test tomorrow evening, and was wondering what to expect. I've been practicing regularly for a couple weeks on 3d targets and I think I'm ready. I was just looking for some info on the distances, size, and types of targets I'm going to be shooting at. Thanks in advance,
    AKTrailblazer

Check out these threads all discussing same topic recently.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29943

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=30077

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=28791

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=27521

These should at least get you started. Also, you should have gotten a packet of info when you signed up (if you signed up at fish and game) that has some info on what you will be doing.

Short summary (at least for what we did in Anchorage) - take 8 shots at 4 different animals. Animals are 3D with foam insert in vitals. 2 shots per animal. One shot standing and one shot kneeling at each animal. Two different places to shoot from at each animal, so you have to figure out which place would be better to stand from and which to kneel from. Must hit each animal in the vitals at least once (miss an animal twice = game over), and must hit 6/8 overall to pass. You can use a rangefinder if you bring one, but can't borrow one from others in your group. Shots were 18-29 yards (I think that was it). One shot is from a stand. If you're dialed in up to 30 yards, pretty easy shoot, although a little nerve wracking because several people are right there watching you.

Good luck.

Default jmg

jmg: Hey quit with the very well thought out answers. It does not allow others to add in on the post and increase our post count.

Good job!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks jmg, that helped alot

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    jmg: Hey quit with the very well thought out answers. It does not allow others to add in on the post and increase our post count.

Good job!

Sorry Mr. 2300 posts, I didn't realize you were short on posts. Besides, that is why I only gave the "short summary" - so you could fill in with the real meat and potatoes of it all.

Edit to my original post: I have no idea what this test involves, but there is this guy Daveinthebush on this forum who knows everything about it. I think he is even an instructor for it, and from what I hear, the best instructor in the state. I'm sure he'll fill you in when he gets on cause he loooooves to talk.

I love these forums.

Talking

Too funny, jmg Alright Dave, lets hear the rest

Default Good enough

I was just razzing him because his answer was really good. Works for me!

Yes I am an instructor. But it is good to hear others being able to explain things so well.

Archery is the best.....

P.S. Thanks for helping increase my post count. I am trying to catch AKPM.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-30-2008 at 11:05. Reason: P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I was just razzing him because his answer was really good. Works for me!

Yes I am an instructor. But it is good to hear others being able to explain things so well.

Archery is the best.....

P.S. Thanks for helping increase my post count. I am trying to catch AKPM.
    No worries Dave, just havin' some fun. After all the great info I get around this site, it is nice to contribute back on occasion.

Are you an instructor over in Valdez? What is your pass rate on the proficiency exam? When I did it, the instructors said it was only about 45% here in Anchorage for first time takers, which seemed awfully low. I think I had 4 first timers in my group, and we all passed. One person was taking it for the second time and he passed. So other groups possibly had everyone fail?

I imagine there are a few people that bought a bow on Saturday and started the class the following Wednesday though.

As for AKPM - every time he posts, just chastise/criticize his post over about 3-4 posts of your own. That should help you catch up.

Default It ain't easy

Last group 5 of 6 passed. One person was looking for a place to buy arrows the night before. You can do the math.

We have done the outside portion in March, 10 degrees with a 20 mph wind. Success dropped of course. I think almost anyone can pass it IF they practice in advance. I am actually going to do it next time around because I want the Alaskan IBEP card too.

I carry an extra arrow. I place it above the one in the target, and see where the shot would have gone on an animal had it not been made of foam. Most moderns bows will get a pass through. Works for me. I have taken enough game with a bow to know what is going to be a good kill.

Take care...

Default It's good to take it twice

I had the pleasure of taking the test twice! My advice would be, if you are going to screw up two shots, don't do it on the same target. On the second target, as I was lining up my pin on the target, I accidently bumped my release trigger and shot early. Arrow hit the animal square in the neck. Same target, second shot...i'm still pissed about the first shot, rush it, aparently use the wrong pin and shoot the thing in the spine. what a humbling moment. However, 3 of the 4 in my group ended up failing.

Since that experience, I am now much more carefull about bumping the release trigger, using the right pin and calming myself after a bad shot. So maybe failing the first time was a good lesson learned. I had no problem passing the second time.

Once he hits 2,500 Dave gets a free set of steak knives
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks guys. It sounds like you have pretty small classes. I think there are 25 signed up for mine tonight and their short an instructor... should be interesting

Default 5 out of 8

I'm pretty sure the standard is 5 out of 8, not 6.

[QUOTE=Valley Trash;260429]I had the pleasure of taking the test twice! My advice would be, if you are going to screw up two shots, don't do it on the same target.

I did tonight. The first shot on the 30yd was three inches high and I didn't even know until after I shot the second and walked down. I was sure they hit until I got down there. The instructors were great- helpful and easy to talk to. I passed the written test and blood trailing so I just have to show up to do the shoot. I think about half the shooters there tonight were taking it for the second time. The instructor said he thinks my sights got bumped or something because I wasn't having trouble with form and every shot was consistently high. Oh well... thanks again guys for all the info

[quote=AKTrailblazer;260868]
    I had the pleasure of taking the test twice! My advice would be, if you are going to screw up two shots, don't do it on the same target.

I did tonight. The first shot on the 30yd was three inches high and I didn't even know until after I shot the second and walked down. I was sure they hit until I got down there. The instructors were great- helpful and easy to talk to. I passed the written test and blood trailing so I just have to show up to do the shoot. I think about half the shooters there tonight were taking it for the second time. The instructor said he thinks my sights got bumped or something because I wasn't having trouble with form and every shot was consistently high. Oh well... thanks again guys for all the info
    That's ok Blazer, it happens. Now that you know what to expect, you can practice practice and practice some more. Did you do the test in Anchorage? I did, and don't remember an actual 30 yd shot (although they may change them up at each one?). Did you happen to use a rangefinder or was it a judgment call? If by sight, your shooting skills may be great, but need work on the ranging skills? I think that gets a LOT of folks on the shoot. Learning to judge distance takes as much practice as shooting.

In any event, definitely get out and practice more. And then keep practicing, even after passing. Shooting a bow proficiently on a consistent basis for a hunt takes for more than sighting in a rifle and going out to pull the trigger.

Good luck in the practice and keep at it. Also, keep in touch through this site on how the practice is going, etc. It is a great place to meet people to get together and shoot.

Thanks jmg. I did take it in Anchorage without a rangefinder. The shot was set up so that you took a kneeling shot at 25yds and a standing at 30yds. I'm pretty sure I just wasn't focusing on the right pin- test fever with all those people watching you. But I have to calm my nerves because test fever is closly related to buck fever . At first I guessed 25yds but the instructor said it was 30yds. Either I accidentally used the 35yd pin or just jerked the release. Unfortunatly, I'm leaving for a month on the 9th and the next class is the 10th.
    I'll have to take it when I get back which means no bowhunting-only drawing permits this year . I guess I can still do the standard archery harvest hunts if I pass before the fall. I'll keep practicing.

Dave you are too funny
    I am new to AK but not new to bow hunting big game. I work overseas but will be back soon. I was told there is a on-line course i can take then just come in and take the shoot. Is that possible and where would i find it. Thanks T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/ak/index.htm

This should get you started, sweepint. I have heard of some issues with having to retake the test again at the class because the system is so new . Maybe dave or some other instructor could clarify.

Default I can't

I can't. Since the online started we have not had a class yet. We only do 1-2 a year for maybe 6 at a time. I have a new set of instructor guidelines at the house. But have only read it once so I can't give you an accurate answer.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=28791&page=2

See post #5. I just don't want to get sweepint to take the online test and find out it was a waste of time too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast