Thread: Cleaning my 30-06

Default Cleaning my 30-06

I got some Barnes cr-10 and followed as directed and after three sessions the dang thing still wont pull a clean patch through.

I started to get cranky but I wont sweat it. I will try it as is.

My last six rifles I owned did not get cleaned with anything other than a bore snake and I never had a problem. So this is much more cleaning than I am used to giving.

Speaking of which I will give a few passes with the snake too.

Any comments?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Be patient. Make sure that the fouling on the patch isn't from the chamber, especially if you're using a bore guide. I have found that there is an accumulation of solvent in the chamber area that has to be cleaned seperately before I can pull a clean patch. Keep working at it and it'll come clean.

Wipe Out- The foam stuff. Ive tried em all.

Boresnakes are handy and convenient, and it is all I use for .22 rimfire (I don't use jacketed bullets). I'll use Boresnakes in the field for centerfire field clean-up, but just in the field...because they don't get the copper out. Maybe that's what you're seeing Miller.

CR-10 is a strong ammonia based cleaner (as I'm sure you know), and it really attacks the copper, and keeps on attacking it until it's gone. You can even get some blue on the patch if you've just used a bronze brush to stroke the bore before applying CR-10. If you have heavy copper, and repeated applications of CR-10 keep coming out deep blue, then I would follow Tom's advice and use some Wipe-out foam for an over-nite application. Wipe-out is my final line of action for really copper fouled bores that just aren't coming clean. That stuff will get it...usually with only one (maybe two) overnite application. Finding Wipe-out on the shelf is sometimes hit or miss in the stores. Sportsmen's has it off and on. One precaution on Wipe-out, after spraying it in the bore it will snake out as it expands. I hang-out for about five minutes after spraying it, wiping as it creeps out of the muzzle (the breach is patched plugged). If you leave it on exterior finishes it will muck them up.

One other thing, which I'm sure you already know, but I'll mention as a precaution to other readers...never mix cleaning solvents. If you switch between various brands be sure to get that bore cleaned out dry of the other solvent...chamber mopped too...before applying a new solvent.

Default Some barrels might be more prone...?

Ya know, I don't have enough experience to say, but have found stid2677's bore scope comments interesting. Recently, in a thread about copper fouling, he commented about barrels not all being alike up and down the bore: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=30104

His observations in that other thread made me wonder if an occasional barrel might have more appetite for copper than others. If so, then cleaning might be bigger job. I don't know but his borescope findings have been interesting.

Good luck getting your rifle squared away. Seems I recall you're partial to the 06.

I agree with Wipe Out, did a great job on my bore. Erased all traces of copper and powder. Just let it sit over nite, it might take a few treatments depending on how much copper has built up.

On my model 70 30-06 I had to work for few days to get the copper fouling out. I had not cleaned the gun as well as I should have in the past I never had used any copper solvent. When I did get some copper solvent I kept getting the blue streaks on the patch. It did not seem to matter how many patches I run through, I kept getting blue. For a while I just gave up trying to get it out then a week ago I decided I was getting it out if I spent all day. I used a copper solvent and a nylon brush and after five hours I had a perfectly clean bore. Try a nylon brush, it worked for me.