Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Experience

Default Russian Experience

I just returned from another great trip to Alaska. We spent most of our time at the Russian River area and managed to catch our limit basically every day. The bear-viewing was an added bonus. The weather was good. Overall, we had a great time. I'm not an expert, but a number of incidents involving poor ethics, judgement, and common courtesy by some individuals could have really hampered the experience.

Yes, these things are going to happen in these crowded conditions, but many are just plain silly...
    firing a warning shot from a pistol up a heavily used pathway to scare
    away bears that had no interest in people
    a man wedging between two fisherman and then inviting the rest of
    his group to join as well
    taking someone's spot while he is landing/stringing his fish
    refusing to stop casting and move when someone slightly upsteam is
    bringing his fish in
    actually "casting" over multiple lines of people while they are doing the
    Kenai flip
    the girlfriend technique- when the female of a couple squeezes into
    crowded part of the line, as if she has an exemption, with the male
    joining a short time later
    the super fisherman that tries to set a new record on how quickly he
    can get his limit, not stringing, disabling, or bleedding his fish,
    before throwing them on the bank to flop, becoming a bear
    magnet

The list goes on. I hope that this is caused mostly from lack of education, not intentional disregard of proper etiquette. There are some resources that outline correct fishing procedure, but we need a way to ensure that all fisherman have the basic knowledge of these guidelines.

I have some ideas on how this can be achieved. Perhaps signs and brochures should be placed/given at the ferry and campground. I am not for more regulations, but maybe the only way to ensure that everyone knows the ropes would be to require a permit to fish the fly-fishing only area. This could be attained after watching an instructional video, reading a manual, attending a short instructional course, passing a written test, or some other means given in the language of your choice by ADF&G.

We have one of the best fisheries in the world at the Russian, and I think that with proper education, even with the large numbers of people, everyone can enjoy it.

Unhappy Sign of the times?

Quote Originally Posted by FL Bear Bait
    ...just plain silly...
    firing a warning shot from a pistol up a heavily used pathway to scare
    away bears that had no interest in people
    a man wedging between two fisherman and then inviting the rest of
    his group to join as well
    taking someone's spot while he is landing/stringing his fish
    refusing to stop casting and move when someone slightly upsteam is
    bringing his fish in
    actually "casting" over multiple lines of people while they are doing the
    Kenai flip
    the girlfriend technique- when the female of a couple squeezes into
    crowded part of the line, as if she has an exemption, with the male
    joining a short time later
    the super fisherman that tries to set a new record on how quickly he
    can get his limit, not stringing, disabling, or bleedding his fish,
    before throwing them on the bank to flop, becoming a bear
    magnet
    Sad to say, but the slime-line is not confined to the canneries. . .

Default wow

Embarrassing...A True Alaskan Sportsfisherman or fisherwomen DO NOT act that way. Unfortunately your always gonna find bad apples no matter where you go.

IMO - as more and more people move or venture to Alaska, we need to open up more areas. Over crowding has created a monster.

Sounds like a typical day combat fishing. Nothing new.

The Kenai is a big river. The Russian River portion is but one very small aspect of that entire fishery. If people would simply spread themselves out, most problems would be solved. For whatever reason, crowds entice others, making the problem worse. The next time you see a fisherman, keep on going and your experiences will be better for it. Plenty of places to be alone on the river.

Default Different point of view.

Seems to me that if you move out of a hole where
    it is plain that there are a number of fish and no
    others are in sight or clearly available along the river,
    you should let the other guy hook up and move back in
    after you clear your fish or snag. The idea that a
    person owns a spot on a crowded fishery like the Russian
    is just plain ridiculous. If your going to fish a prime hole
    expect the company. If you want to be alone then buy
    a fly-out.

Default What?

My goodness, whatever happened to common courtesy? How rude is it to jump into someones spot while they are releasing a snag? I would not do it and I would not expect it from someone else on the river. If they have the balls they will hear it and feel my shoulder up against theirs. It is absolutely uncalled for. It is not a matter of "owning that spot," it is a matter of respecting your fellow fisherman on the river. What a load of bull echolmbe! Think of this thread when someone jumps in your "spot" when you are releasing a snag, see how you like it. Do you even fish? Or are you the kind of person that will drive down to the Russian late Saturday mourning, stagger down to the bank and jump in someones spot when they hook a fish?

This may be a news flash, but salmon, for the most part, travel upstream. YES, that is right UPSTREAM. Sure there are particular holes along the way but in time they will travel past each and every person along the river. Weird concept isnt it? Along the Kenai and up towards the Russian there are plenty of room and stretches of fishable water for everyone without jumping in and taking someones spot. Jumping into a spot of a fellow fisherman is just plain wrong.

This is exactly why I stay away from combat fishing zones like the Russian.

Only tourists, gomers, and Craig Medred fish the Russian

Default From one Gomer to another...

Been fishing there since I was old enough to flip & swing.....people fail to realize there is a LOT of river there....But in typical herd mentality most see a crowd and moooo-ve right in....head upstream....bring along a lighter rod for trout once ya limit out.....heck "do the loop" from the confluence to the falls...excellent way to see all aspects of the fishery....

btw this discussion has been going on for awhile...most recently in this thread --> http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=7436#post7436

Used to be a polite fishery....but more and more I find myself skipping it in leiu of launching the raft and waving as I float down to a braid on the Kenai I can fish in peace...

Sounds like The Russian River to a tee. That is why I go there in the middle of the night to avoid the crowds and rude people.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs down River Hogs

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin
    My goodness, whatever happened to common courtesy? How rude is it to jump into someones spot while they are releasing a snag? I would not do it and I would not expect it from someone else on the river. If they have the balls they will hear it and feel my shoulder up against theirs. It is absolutely uncalled for. It is not a matter of "owning that spot," it is a matter of respecting your fellow fisherman on the river. What a load of bull echolmbe! Think of this thread when someone jumps in your "spot" when you are releasing a snag, see how you like it. Do you even fish? Or are you the kind of person that will drive down to the Russian late Saturday mourning, stagger down to the bank and jump in someones spot when they hook a fish?

This may be a news flash, but salmon, for the most part, travel upstream. YES, that is right UPSTREAM. Sure there are particular holes along the way but in time they will travel past each and every person along the river. Weird concept isnt it? Along the Kenai and up towards the Russian there are plenty of room and stretches of fishable water for everyone without jumping in and taking someones spot. Jumping into a spot of a fellow fisherman is just plain wrong.

This is exactly why I stay away from combat fishing zones like the Russian.

I am not sure what your fishing experience has been in the past but
    it sounds like you need to take up a new sport. Your premise that you
    can stake out an area and elbow people out after you have moved out
    for whatever reason in a public and very crowded fishery leads me to
    believe that someone probably took your toys away from you as a child.
    Wear a big pink hat next time you go fishing and I'll steer clear of you.
    echolmbe

This has become an unbeleivable direction for this topic. I mean I always knew there were people out ther like echolmbe but I guess I try to forget about..... you know it just isn't worth it. Guess that's why I haven't gone to the Russian in about 10 yrs.

Default Common courtesy

Man, sad to see that selfishness and boorish behavior is becoming so common ... Here, in the field and on the water........

I was taught LONG ago that when a guy is fishing a spot and has a fish on, you acknowledge his catch, make space so he can land it, congratulate him on a job well done and allow him to continue until he has his limit. This "Screw you buddy" mentality has NO place among sportsman.... The early bird catches the worm, but in Echolmbe's case the early bird catches a ton of crap from folks too impatient, rude and shortsighted to realize there is such a thing as class......

But then again I guess I'm old fashioned...I still say please, excuse me and thank you when the situation dictates....

Heck, I even think holding the door open for women and children is just something you DO.....
    Last edited by AlaskaHippie; 08-09-2006 at 01:06.

Default When you buy it you own it...

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn
    This has become an unbeleivable direction for this topic. I mean I always knew there were people out ther like echolmbe but I guess I try to forget about..... you know it just isn't worth it. Guess that's why I haven't gone to the Russian in about 10 yrs.
    When you buy it you own it. When it belongs to everyone you share.
    Your attitude supports river hogs and bullies. If that's a real Sportsman
    to you then you just don't get it..
    The fishing has been great in the past week with many groups I have encountered and people have made room for kids and novices alike not just staked their territory and threatened people. Although I have seen that too.
    Here's hoping you get out in the next ten years, the fresh air might do you good.

Quote Originally Posted by echolmbe
    When you buy it you own it. When it belongs to everyone you share.
    Wouldn't that imply that YOU too must share as opposed to muscle in on a guy?

Your attitude supports river hogs and bullies. If that's a real Sportsman
    to you then you just don't get it..
    Pot....Meet kettle....

The fishing has been great in the past week with many groups I have encountered and people have made room for kids and novices alike not just staked their territory and threatened people.

Really? when the kids hook a fish and head for the stringer do you also take their spot and tell 'em "you don't own it...tough cookies"?....

Here's hoping you get out in the next ten years, the fresh air might do you good.
    Here's hoping that you don't pass your version of "manners" on to future generations....*shudder*

Default You don't get out much either..

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie
    Wouldn't that imply that YOU too must share as opposed to muscle in on a guy?

Pot....Meet kettle....

Really? when the kids hook a fish and head for the stringer do you also take their spot and tell 'em "you don't own it...tough cookies"?....

Here's hoping that you don't pass your version of "manners" on to future generations....*shudder*
    Your analogies are moronic...
    See you on the river...
    Nuff said

Default Into the zone...

I agree with the commments, and to me it seems the most reasonable (and cost-efficent) way to inform the newcomer, is simply to strategicaly install some signs that topic combat ettiquete.

Heck, I tell 'em all that in what I write, but there are just soooooooo many I'll never reach 'em all. (don't I wish!)

I'm telling 'ya, if lived there I would be I'd be cutting plywood and 4'X4's, adding nails and red and white paint, and letter those suckers. I'd be the guy with the post hole digger instead of the pole, and you would see me slugging them down all over the place.

No doubt they would be pulled, but at least I would try...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Too old, too tired. . .

This thread, from its initial complaint and the following exchanges, is why I don't go near crowded "fishing opportunities." I just don't need fish badly enough endure the aggravation and disgust aroused by rudeness, contention, greed, and ignorance.

To be sure, there are many polite and nice people out there on the river, but not enough. It's hopeless we live in an increasingly uncivilized world.

I agree with Water-Gremlin, common courtesy is lacking on the Russian but thats nothing new, thats why I fish in other places. I use to love fishing the Russian and the fly fishing only area but I don't like rude and overbearing people. I hope I don't ever have to fish next you echolmbe. Marcus hit the nail right square on the head!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast