Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 458 Win Mag

Default 458 Win Mag

Just before coming to the land of big bears I picked up a Winchester Model 70, Safari Express, 458 WM.
    I have yet to shoot this weapon, I put a 1.5-5 Leopold on it.
    If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.
    Thanks

'Ought to make a good "Hopper Stopper"!

What you planning to use it on?

Yes, hold on tight. Shoot it standing at first to get used to what to expect.

I had an 8.5 pound 458 a while back. It had a standard 1/2 recoil pad and it sucked to shoot. I put a F990 recoil pad on it and was good to go.

I think the 458 kicks about like a 338 remington ultra. Not the worst but having a good recoil pad is mandatory. My wife shot my 458 a time or two.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    Just before coming to the land of big bears I picked up a Winchester Model 70, Safari Express, 458 WM.
    I have yet to shoot this weapon, I put a 1.5-5 Leopold on it.
    If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.
    Thanks
    Get some cheap pistol bullets you can load for practicing. Buy some lead bullets progressively heavier and use low-velocity loads to build up your tolerance. You can buy the bullets from Ranger Rick, who sells his product here. Do a search under his username.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Something else

I'll probably get grumbled at for suggesting this, but it is just a suggestion. You could consider selling your .458 Win, unless you just really love it, and get something with a little more flexibility, such as a .300 Win Mag, .300 WSM, .338 Win Mag etc., with a greater range of bullet types and weights and better ballistics past 150-200 yards. Of course, you could keep the mighty thunderer for a big bear hunt.

Default 458 Win Mag

Everyone "needs" a 458 Win Mag. Face it.... there are so many 458's up here that will never see Africa... but think of how safe we are up here. Heard of any recent rhino or elephant charges in Anchorage or the Kenai? Just the mere fact we have so many big bores up here keeps the critters in hiding.

Enjoy the rifle. You can load it mild to wild and have fun.

I just had a .458 Win Mag made by Arctic Gunworks. I'm shooting 350 grain Hornady RN for close shots on lighter skinned game (deer and black bear) and 350 grain Barnes TSX for longer shots on thin skinned game (moose, goat, caribou, and sheep). I've got some 450 grain Barnes TSX set aside for the big bears and future Africa hunts. I've settled on Hogdon Extreme 4198 as the powder for all three loads. I can shoot off the bench with the 350 grain loads and it's no worse than the .300 Weatherby I hunted with when I first came to Alaska. My gun weighs in at 8.5 lbs. with a 21" barrel, scope, sling, and four rounds so it's no heavy weight either.

Kay9Cop,
    If you don't mind, sure would like to see a pic of your 458 built by AGW. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I just had a .458 Win Mag made by Arctic Gunworks. I'm shooting 350 grain Hornady RN for close shots on lighter skinned game (deer and black bear) and 350 grain Barnes TSX for longer shots on thin skinned game (moose, goat, caribou, and sheep). I've got some 450 grain Barnes TSX set aside for the big bears and future Africa hunts. I've settled on Hogdon Extreme 4198 as the powder for all three loads. I can shoot off the bench with the 350 grain loads and it's no worse than the .300 Weatherby I hunted with when I first came to Alaska. My gun weighs in at 8.5 lbs. with a 21" barrel, scope, sling, and four rounds so it's no heavy weight either.

Bingo, that's what I'm talking about.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Sounds nice. You should post a picture. AGW located in Palmer?

A couple of years back I did some extensive toying with the 458. I found that the Speer 350 grain Hot Core would penetrate right with the best of the high dollar bullets. I used this bullet on top of 71 grains of IMR 4198. In fact I was planning a brown bear hunt and this was going to be my choice for that hunt!

Default Thanks

As far as other calibers, I have with me 270 Whby, 300 Whby, 338 win mag, 375 HH, and 416Wby, so the 458 was just something I was looking for some help with, and the deal was just too good to pass up. Thanks again, I'll let you know how the load up goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Get some cheap pistol bullets you can load for practicing. Buy some lead bullets progressively heavier and use low-velocity loads to build up your tolerance. You can buy the bullets from Ranger Rick, who sells his product here. Do a search under his username.

Pistol bullsts are .451 to as large as (maybe).454 the 458 win requires bullets to be .458. Pistol bullets in a 458 rifle is not a very accurate combo

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    A couple of years back I did some extensive toying with the 458. I found that the Speer 350 grain Hot Core would penetrate right with the best of the high dollar bullets. I used this bullet on top of 71 grains of IMR 4198. In fact I was planning a brown bear hunt and this was going to be my choice for that hunt!
    I've used the speer 350 hot core a lot also ekc, and I agree 100%. That bullet will compete, like you said, with the best. Might not be quite as flat shooting as the 350 Barnes X, but at practical hunting ranges for the 458, it wouldn't matter a whit. Probably one of the most underrated bullet out there, especially for it's caliber.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

What test media did you use to determine the 350 Hot Core penetration virtues? What other bullet wieghts did you test?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    What test media did you use to determine the 350 Hot Core penetration virtues? What other bullet wieghts did you test?
    My personal testing media was 8 buffalo, 4 muleys, 1 bull elk, 1 brown bear and several jack rabbits. I tested only the 300gr and 350gr jacketed lead bullets from various manufactures and also the two weights in Barnes X. I didn't test any heavier because I have no need to. Both weights, especially the 350 grainers, will shoot thru any thing that walks or squawks on this continent. I did use a lot of blow sand to check penetration and bullet toughness...that will seperate the good, bad and the ugly. If a bullet can perform in blow sand, I know I'll not have any performance problems with an animal. I do use Barnes X bullets, more for flatter shooting. I also load them to a higher velocity...not that I need to, just me. And no, I didn't test every brand available. And will the 350 Hot Cor out penetrate the solids? Of course not, but I don't need that kind of penetration either. Heck, I don't even need a big caliber either, but I sure like it. Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    Pistol bullsts are .451 to as large as (maybe).454 the 458 win requires bullets to be .458. Pistol bullets in a 458 rifle is not a very accurate combo
    For practice my friend, practice. They'll be plenty accurate enough. Especially for offhand speed drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Kay9Cop,
    If you don't mind, sure would like to see a pic of your 458 built by AGW. Thanks
    I don't have any pictures of my gun yet and it's in its case sitting in my truck for hunting this weekend. I'll see if I can pull it out sometime next week. It's a working gun, not some fancy wood and deep rich bluing deal.

My gun is not typical of Mr. Junk's work, and by that I mean it's not like one of the display models he has in his shop. I had a Mauser project that went South because the magnum modifications made by the person I purchased the action from were done incorrectly. I went into Arctic Gun Works with a Hogue stock, a set of Brockman Talley-style bases with pop up peep sight, a Brockman tritium front sight, a Timney trigger, and need for a good action and barrel. Mr. Junk had a nice Belgian Mauser action in his shop and placed an order for a barrel from Dan Pederson (Classic Barrel Works). He had the gun together in a few weeks and coated it in green Arctic Cote. The gun shoots at about an inch and a half with the 350 grain Hornady RN bullets I've been practicing with and I consider that excellent accuracy for a big bore.

Jwp500, The bullets I tested along with the Hot Core were Hornady 350 gr, Nosler Partition 300 gr and the 350 gr Swift A Frame. I almost forgot I also had some home cooked 400 grain hard cast with gas check and they were actually the hands down winner as far as penetration but the accuracy wasn't there.

One penetration test involved shooting through a 4 inch thick oak plank into wet newspaper. Another involved shooting concrete blocks set up end to end. We even filled some paint cans full of sand and shot through them.

I'm sure the bigger bullets would have out penetrated the Hot Core. However this rifle was built with a 21" Montana Rifleman barrel with a slow 1 in 20 twist, it might even have been 1 in 22 twist, I can't remember. It was built for shooting light for caliber bullets. In fact Murphy recommended the Hot Core and the rifle was set up with that in mind.

We put a dozen different guns in different calibers through the test on that day so I don't recall all the specifics. I do remember that I was very impressed with the Hot Core and settled with it as my final choice!

Wow!!!! 458 Win mag the only rifle that ever hurt my face because I got to close to the scope on the bench. Why not a 375H&H or 375Wby and have the all around rifle for everything in Alaska from deer to Browns.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast