Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for beginners...

Default Tips for beginners...

I just bought my set up, and am wondering what beginner tips you have...Roll cast, etc. what can I use to practice with?

go fish, fish streams as you won't have to cast as far, fish for grayling and learn the fundementals of a dead drift mending and line control you should catch a lot of fish mostly have fun.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Take a few minutes, when you can, to practice casting to a target. You don't have to hit the target, just cast to it. You can do this in a grassy area like a yard or field of some kind. Or you can go to a lake and just pick something floating on the water as a target. On grass, having a second reel or spool with old line to practice with would be ideal. If that's not an option, just clean your flyline really well before going fishing.
    Picking the line up off grass, for your false cast, is totally different than picking it up off water. Water provides more resistance, in my opinion. On grass, the flyline slides several feet before going airborne. It takes a little getting use to, but is still an effective means of practice.
    If your practicing on grass, use a straight piece of mono with a fly that's had the hook cut off. This will give you a visual of how your leader is laying out. Practicing on water, just use your normal leader setup with a real fly, just in case.
    As Monkey said, however, the best way to practice is to go fishin.

Default Casting Lesson

If possible... drop the $$ on a beginner's lesson.
    Or drop a buck or two to your buddy who knows what he's doing.

I tried to 'self teach' fly fishin. I did okay.

Elmendorf had a 'learn to fly fish lesson' and learned from a guide for $10 or $20 - either case it was cheap. Spent the afternoon with us in the grass, then we moved to a pond. Learned lots, got the 'corrections' for helping with 'wind knots' and the like.

Took a fly tying lesson at McAfee's a few years ago... cost wasn't too bad... included some casting coaching - I was not smart enough to take them up on.

If you bought your gear from a shop (not internet)... most will spend 15 minutes giving you some pointers on how to use your new gear. Probably in their parking lot... but those pointers can really help you move the fly where you want it.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...ng-casting.htm

2 minutes, 28 seconds. Nothing fancy... gets you started.

In the grass, we used a piece of yarn as our 'fly'. No hook... just a piece of yarn. When you could lay the yarn on the grass, fully extend the leader, no loops, etc. Consistently. Then you got to fish.
    BTW - I had a small trout strike my yarn... hung onto it for a minute before he spit it out! ehehe Fun stuff
    Last edited by Stogey; 04-30-2008 at 14:19. Reason: Grammar

Default 3M Video Doug Swisher

Just food for thought. Visit www.hookhack.com or search the internet for Doug Swisher Basic Casting Video.

It will bring you through the process of casting in about an hour. I use it when I teach fly casting it is simple and effective.

Will be weth worth the 20 or so bucks you spend and keep you from learning bad casting habits.

On a side note there is no wrong way to accomplish casting just more effecient ways.

Blue Moose

stay away from bushes or trees anything low on the ground you could get tangled in. Pain in the butt when learning, very frustrating. Gym floors work good if you have one to get in. Hold you back cast longer than you expect. Slow down, don't try to force anything. Last thing, don't try to use to much line right away. Get the rythm first.

have fun!!

Default Pike?

You gonna fish for pike? That would be fun in the little sloughs. Sight fish from a boat with a mouse. I was able to get pretty close on the Anvik. Would he need a tough leader for pike? I used a cable but was spin fishing.

What set-up did you get? Some of the cheap line is a pain to throw.

Default BTK

Here's what I got...

A 6-7 Wt. rod with a Cabela's 567 reel...I don't know what kind of leader I have or what type of line, I know have I have Cabela's Prestige fly line backing, but I don't even know what that is...it say's it's 18lb on the spool...It should be good for grayling & maybe smaller char, but I don't know about salmon...

6/7 is perfect for pike and char, a bit heavy for grayling, a bit light for most salmon

For my pike leaders I like ~3' of 30 pound maxima ultra green, 2' of 20# ultragreen, then about 16 inches of 15 (0x) pound rio tippet, then 8 inches of 40 pound mono or wire leader.

For char and grayling I'd do the same thing but instead of the wire leader a couple of feet of 2x rio at the end of your 0x

You spool the backing, then tie the backing to the flyline witha n albright knot and drop of superglue, then you spool your flyline, then use a nail knot for your leader, then tie on your fly.

I'll second the 3M video recommendation and classes can be really helpful.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Tapered v. forward weighted?

for a begininer?

& what are the chances of catching Salmon on the murky, silty Yukon it self rather than it's tribs?

WF casts easier and you don't care about subtly presentations yet.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    for a begininer?

& what are the chances of catching Salmon on the murky, silty Yukon it self rather than it's tribs?
    Slim to none... Unless you have a gillnet or fish wheel...

Default What's the difference between...

a tippet & a leader? & thanks EVERYONE for your patience with me...

tippet is the very end of the leader... Most of the time if you have a knotless tapered leader as you fish you will clip off the end of the leader repetedly, eventually you'll have less length than you want and a thicker end of your leader than you want so you tie on a length of tippet to replace the section you clipped off changing flies..

Default Do you use the same

blood knot that you use to tie the leader to the float line?

Blood knots aren't for attaching leader to line. There a few diferent methods for that. I use a plastic conector by Fish Eagle(there are a couple different types) It is football shaped and has a hole at either end to put your line and leader in. It is a lot more stream line than a knot and less chance to get your leader hung up in it. It has always worked great for me. Fast and easy and the line rolls right through the leader. I get the flouresent orange ones, which makes a great strike indicator if you are nymphing. Have seen a ton of trout chase and strike at it.

Learning to cast will be the most important first step. You have to make a conscious effort to keep your tip up in about the 11 - 1 o'clock position. If you arc your rod tip you will kill your loop and your line will soon fall. For the most part you want to keep your wrist stiff through the casting motion and bend at the elbow. I put a little wrist snap at the very end of my arm movement. And if you get a lot of line out you might use a little shoulder movement. Your timing and rythim will change as you get more line out...you have to learn to feel your line.

I would recommend watching several videos to pick up different approaches and techniques. Check with your friends and the library. Also get a friend who knows what he's doing to watch you and give you pointers. I have taught quite a few of my friends and my sons. Most of them picked it up pretty quick.

Happy Fishing

Nail knot, same as snelling a hook or binding the end of a line.
    BHA Member

Blood knot is a good choice for leader to tippet or contructing your own tapered leaders, a better choice is a double surgeon.

Default Useful guide to fly fishing knots...

Gogoalie,

Couple of illustrated instruction sites to help:

http://www.flymartonline.com/article215.html

http://www.killroys.com/knots/knots.htm

Good comments above including:
    -More than one way to do some things.
    -Going with or watching an experienced fly fisher will help a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast