Thread: whats the biggest burbot

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default whats the biggest burbot

out of the tanana anyone has caught? i think mine was around 6 pounds south of fairbanks. im gonna have more chances to try and improve my record this summer.

Mark

I caught one at Nenana that was 38" long. I don't know what it weighed.

Thumbs up WOW!

Wow! That is huge. How much meat did it have? We catch them all of the time up here but never that large.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I have a few great frends in nenana and have been up there just before the ice gose out. I fished the tanana for three days for burbot. you are alowed 15 holes I think i drilled ten. You cut alders and tie your hook to the bottom of the alder useing whitefish for bait put it in the hole and stick it in the bottom. Next day you have a burbot on almost every hook. I took home about 100 lbs of meat in three days. There was some huge ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 15 pound tagged fish I took into the fairbanks fish office. Got lucky, was my first year ever fishing them...between a bunch of us that day we did quite well. have never beat it but have caught a few more that pushed the 10lb mark. Most are 2's and 3's though with a handful of 5's and 6's to keep things interesting. Either way their all good eating.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    Wow! That is huge. How much meat did it have? We catch them all of the time up here but never that large.....
    I don't know what it weighed. I didn't have a scale, and I skin/filet/bag them as soon as possible before they freeze.

I've caught several throughout Southcentral between 30" and 36".

Anything under 28" I consider too small, but I'll keep them anyway (because they still taste great).

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    I have a few great frends in nenana and have been up there just before the ice gose out. I fished the tanana for three days for burbot. you are alowed 15 holes I think i drilled ten.....I took home about 100 lbs of meat in three days. There was some huge ones.
    Yup. The Tanana River at Nenana is the best burbot fishery I know of. It's great because it's still overnight sets (not closely attended) whereas all the lakes are "closely attended" now, and the Susitna and Copper Rivers have a limit of 5 per day.

Plus, nobody fishes it. The locals were asking me what the heck I was doing there. When I told them, they said, "Yeah, there used to be an old man around here that used to do that..............."

But servicing 15 holes per day and all the fish you catch is real work. It makes a "suicide run" for dipnetted salmon look like a walk in the park......

And many places are pure hell to drill through. The wind blows silt onto the ice in the early winter, and your auger will dull quick. Bring spare bits.

And the ice can be 6' thick in spots. You can't shoot a sonar through it before you try to drill because of all the silt in the ice.

A few years ago I started going to Tazlina Lake for my burbot. The fish there are much smaller, much fewer, and the limit is 1/3 the limit of the Tanana River, but it's faster and easier to get to from Palmer, I don't have to worry about the criminals in Nenana vandalizing my stuff while I'm fishing, and I'm getting too old to deal with that many fish, anyway.

Can you catch fish there in the summer? I was thinking about trying this summer. Tanana I mean.

Mark

I know burbot can be caught in the summer because I know people who have caught them incidentally.

But I've never done it because I've never tried. I'm targetting other things in the spring/summer/fall.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default yes

you can catch them in the summer. i have only fished them in the summer up there. im not going to have alot of time to travel very far from delta junction so ill be focusing on the immediate area except for extended holiday weekends.

I have never fished burbot through the ice though I've tinkered with the idea and know a few who do, though with little luck. Would rather stick a big laker or nice char even if I lettm go.