Thread: .375 vs. 9.3 x 62 Recoil and such

Harlingen, Texas

Default .375 vs. 9.3 x 62 Recoil and such

I know that there has to be several people on here that use/ have shot these 2 rifles. What is the big difference in recoil. I have read that the the .375 is about 1/3 more that the 9.3.. is that anyones real life experience? And do know of any company that makes reduced recoil loads for these calibers.. range shooting and such. Thanks.

Recoil depends on numerous factors, and weight is one of them. A 9.3x62's recoil should be similar to that of a similarly constructed .35 Whelen when bullets of similar weight and powder charges are used. The .375H&H is a much larger cartridge (the case holds a lot more powder), therefore it produces greater recoil. However, a heavy .375H&H with a well designed stock to tame recoil, may feel like it does not kick as hard as a lightweight .35 Whelen with a no so good stock.

Default .375 H&H/9.3X62 recoil

Everything else being equal as far as rifle is concerned, recoil between the two with similar weight bullets is about 20% less with the 9.3, in my experience.

My 375 weighs almost 2 pounds more than my 9.3. The 375 still seems to have a harder kick, even in a heavier gun, perhaps in the 15-20% range. I have noticed very little if any difference in performance on game between the two. I really like the 9.3, very near 375 performance, and I can carry a lighter gun all day and get belted a little less, a winner in my book.

Default 375 H&H vs 9.3 x 62

The 9.3 can be fashioned into a lighter rifle than one would care for with the 375. 9.3 x 62 kicks less than a .338 Win Mag. in a similar weight rifle.

A 286 grain 9.3 has a little better sectional density than the 300 grain 375. Moderate velocity and great penetration provide a good killing caliber. It gets the job done as it has since 1905.

One has to aim a little better with the 9.3 than the 375. But then the recoil is less.

The 375 H&H has more versatility and more range than the 9.3 x 64... to a point. The 250 Barnes TSX at 2500 fps is a good number.

The best advice... shoot the most powerful rifle one can COMFORTABLY shoot... and learn to shoot it well. That makes the 9.3 just the ticket for many. The 9.3 kills at the muzzle end, not at the butt.

No question the 375 "ranges" a little better than the 9.3. I have found this a moot point because the game I hunt with these calibers does not require long range performance.

I have not found any reduced factory loads for the 375. I have never fired factory rounds from the 9.3. If one is looking for reduced loads for these rounds for practice or smaller game, then one will most lokely need to roll his own.