Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shuting down Threads??

Default Shuting down Threads??

I don't want to start a fire with the Moderators but I would like to know why they would shut down a thread that relates to hunting, regardless of where it is? Isn't that the point of this forum to use it to find information about hunting and all of things related to hunting??

Maybe I'm out of line here?? Just need some light shed on this subject!

The thread in question is in the hunting forum. In regards to hog hunting in Texas.
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Default Shut down thread

I read the thread. What I saw was an Alaskan asking questions about hunting in other states. How often do people from the lower 48 ask questions about hunting Alaska here on this forum? I dont see the difference.

If it were two guys from another state hijacking these forums to talk about hunting hogs then I would see the problem.

I appreciate the moderators watching out for these type of situations, but in this case I dont agree with closing this thread.

Default 1) Alaska outdoors-related information only.

Hey Hntdux,

The subject line above is forum rule # 1. I think the gist is to try to keep this site about Alaska-outdoors related info, sort of it's own niche, rather than encompass all parts of the country or globe. Probably most people come here to discuss Alaska-related info, so the Texas hog-hunting thread isn't really within the framework. If it was, then we might end up with a lot of threads not related to Alaska and it would make it harder for the guys wanting to find Alaska info and talk about Alaska-related stuff. I think that's the reasoning behind it.

Best, Mark

cold zero - Another moderator shut that thread down, but he cited the reason for doing so in the thread itself. As Mark pointed out, the first rule for the forums here is: 1) Alaska outdoors-related information only.

Us moderators are volunteers that were asked to help run these forums by the site's owner. We did not come up with the rules, but are asked keep the forums in line with them so that this site can continue to be a great source of info for those interested in Alaskan outdoor activities. I hope it doesn't come across as an issue of censorship, for it is only intended to keep this site focused on Alaskan topics.

-Brian

Default Thanks!

Hi guys-

I've been thinking about the hog hunting thread for a while too. I know it came from an Alaska hunter, but the truth is that there are LOTS of other forums out there where this sort of info is easy to find. It really didn't belong here.

I agree that we need to keep this forum focused on Alaska, or we risk becoming like everyone else. We have some unique rules here, and that's one of the reasons some folks keep coming back. It seems to be working.

Being a moderator here isn't about doing the most popular thing, or the thing that will earn you lots of Kudos (especially from the person who was deleted), but it's a job that has to be done.

...now if we could get some of the ads under control! I'm looking at one below this thread where they're selling South African Krugerrands! I know there is no easy way to control this, but perhaps in the future...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile For me...

Quote Originally Posted by hntdux
    I don't want to start a fire with the Moderators but I would like to know why they would shut down a thread that relates to hunting, regardless of where it is? Isn't that the point of this forum to use it to find information about hunting and all of things related to hunting??

Maybe I'm out of line here?? Just need some light shed on this subject!

The thread in question is in the hunting forum. In regards to hog hunting in Texas.
    I am the moderator who closed the thread.

I'm confused why people are confused. See FAQ->Rules->#1.

For me personally, and I would guess this is true for other readers, I specifically read this site because it's about Alaska and only Alaska. If I want to read about hog hunting in Texas or popping prarie dogs in Wyoming or hunting Elk in Montana, then I'll go to different website (like www.montanaoutdoorsdirectory.com ;').

The thread had nothing whatsoever to do with Alaska, I let it go for a while, then I closed it (vs. deleting it). That's my job (I think).

Perhaps David (site owner) would by willing to create additional forums for Non-Alaska issues.

I'm happy to answer other questions.

Steve

PS - I currently have no intention of closing/deleting this thread ;')

Default Looked about right to me.

Steve, as one of the co owners of this site( at least in the same vein as Mr. Strahan is a co owner) I think you did things just right. The thread lasted long enough for the original poster to make some good contacts and get some decent info. He probably garnered some additional info thru PM's.
    The only other way this could have been handled ( in my lowly opinion) is to have moved it to the general discussion.
    Anyway............here's a pat on the back from me.......:-)
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat
    Hey Hntdux,

The subject line above is forum rule # 1. I think the gist is to try to keep this site about Alaska-outdoors related info, sort of it's own niche, rather than encompass all parts of the country or globe. Probably most people come here to discuss Alaska-related info, so the Texas hog-hunting thread isn't really within the framework. If it was, then we might end up with a lot of threads not related to Alaska and it would make it harder for the guys wanting to find Alaska info and talk about Alaska-related stuff. I think that's the reasoning behind it.

Best, Mark

**** Mark that's about the shortest post you ever wrote!

Steve, job well done! I find the moderators and webmaster, for the most part, quite fair, especially on this hog thread. That thread had nothing to do with hunting Alaska.

Arrow Just what I would have done

The moderators did just what I would have done: shut down the thread. This is an Alaska hunting forum, and we want to keep it on target. We don't always succeed, but that is our goal.

Some years ago a member pointed out the need for a general discussion forum. We have one now. If members want to discuss Texas hog hunting in that forum, that's okay. The possibilities for subjects are wide open there, so long as other forum rules are observed.

David

Default it will all be ok

wow ak forums gets political, ok we figured out no texas hog hunt questions, dont agree with it, but its not my site and i dont make the rules, i wont do it again, lesson learned, pretty funny though how people are taking sides, maybe we should make a texas hog hunting section

Smile

LMAO, this is to much. If you look at the title of every subject it says
    Alaska Hunting
    Alaska Fishing
    Alaska Powerboating
    etc. etc.

Doesn't that give some clue as to the purpose of this forum. I have to take the side of the Moderators.

Default ?

what i think is funny is we arent talking about ak hunting in this thread people are saying who they thougt is right on the subject, and this is a ak hunting thread so shut this one down and lets talk about some hunting

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

And in the Alaska Game Regulations there is no closed season or bag limit on Ferral Swine.

Shoot. Talk about a tempest in a teapot! If you want to learn about hunting in other places, just sit through the ads here on this site.

There's a bit of a goose and gander situation going here. If talk about hunting in other places isn't suitable, how about restricting your ads to Alaska only?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Exclamation Easy Fellas!!

Sorry about getting everybody a riled up! I'll keep my thoughts on the back burner and as fold308 said lets get back to talking about killing critters in the Great state of Alaska!!
    There's plenty of room for all Gods creatures; right next to the mashed potatoes!

Default The problem with the ads-

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear
    ...how about restricting your ads to Alaska only?
    BrownBear,

There's something about the way the ads work that allows ads unrelated to this site to appear from time to time. It's sort of a technical glitch, and for the time being there isn't a lot that can be done about it. Trust me, this has been brought up before. Hopefully it can be fixed in the future.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Having been involved in many shooting/hunting forums, I'll say that heavy handed moderation kills them quicker than anything IMHO.

I don't see why folks simply can't ignore threads that don't interest them.

Yeah........like this one.

Lightbulb moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H
    Having been involved in many shooting/hunting forums, I'll say that heavy handed moderation kills them quicker than anything IMHO.

I don't see why folks simply can't ignore threads that don't interest them.
    paul, +1, valid points.

how about the selective moderation/censorship that has been going on? i did ignore the thread about the hog hunting, it did not interest me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast