Thread: Bush pilot question

Default Bush pilot question

I am new to the forum and actually just started reading a lot of the posts on here. Great info so far. I am trying to plan a do-it-yourself moose hunt for fall 2009 hopefully! Does anyone know any good bush pilots for flying out of Kotzebue or Galena? Also, do most go by an hourly rate, if so what should I look to pay per hour? I am just starting to look into different locations and am hoping to find a lake to be dropped off at. Thank you for any comments.

My first suggestions to a person looking into doing a fly in hunt is to figure out how much gear they have. Add up everybody's weight and then add up all your gear. This number will then help you decide on what plan to use.

I have flown in using everything from Cessna 172s to Otters, every plane has its place.

As for price, it all depends on who you go with. Some charge by the destination, others just charge by the hour. With fuel going up so will the price of flying. My guess is a Cessna 180/185/206 will go around $400-500 an hour and a Beaver around $500-600+ an hour. When im trying to budget I figure a plane goes 75 miles an hour. That gives you a little cushion.

Also when choosing a plane remember that you are hoping to harvest an animal and that extra weight must either fit on the aircraft or you have to pay for the plane to do a meat run.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by T.Leo View Post
    I am new to the forum and actually just started reading a lot of the posts on here. Great info so far. I am trying to plan a do-it-yourself moose hunt for fall 2009 hopefully! Does anyone know any good bush pilots for flying out of Kotzebue ?
    There are about a million threads on here related to air taxis in the Kotz area. Try the search function and you will have plenty to read.

Default Kotzebue

I lived in Kotz for a short while in 2004 while working up there. We took our first few bush trips then. I can recommend Eric Sieh with no reservations. He lives there full time and has more knowledge of the area than anyone up there. He may be the only full timer left. Buck Maxson (Arctic Air Guides) is in Kotz and has been for a long time. He took us on the Kelly in 2004 and did a great job. I heard that he retired recently but can not confirm that. Many pilots up there in Sept making some money, but Eric lives there year round. He flies for Hagland Aviation full time and does bush trips as well. He took us up on the Kugururok in 2006 and is taking us on the Wulik this Fall. Great guy and great pilot. As for prices, it is expensive anywhere you go. We took a trip out of Dillingham this past Sept and the price was about what I was used to in NW Alaska. We usually pay about $1,500-1,700 (round trip). That is two people and all gear for us. I forget the plane he uses, perhaps a 185. But it hold 800 lbs. We have been going about 70-90 miles north from Kotzebue on our float trips. Obviously, if you did not go as far, the price would be less. Eric would be the one to give you ideas of where to go for your hunt. You can contact Eric by calling Hagland Aviation in Kotz or email him at wolfcrk@otz.net
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.