Thread: Brass & Money

Default Brass & Money

Hi there;
    I am just about ready to buy some brass...but got to looking at all the threads and now wonder what to buy. There's been a few discussions, but nobody really hit the subject hard.
    In my 300 Win Mg, I have stuck to WW
    In the 454 I have the FAA stuff, no longer in production.
    Brass prices are all over the place! 300 WM anywhere from 50 cents to $1.25
    Is Starline better, or just cheaper? Are the Lapua and exotics really any better? Too much to pick from. Money is not a big consideration,but it is if I am just buying a label
    Thanks,
    Mark

Default Starline brass is good

I have been using Starline brass regularly for straight walled cartridges and like their quality, but be sure and trim them for consistent crimping when new. Personally, I like Winchester or Federal brass for bottle-necked cases.

I will work up a hunting load with one brand of matching brass. I will also have target practice loads that will be mix and match brass. I bought some winchester brass at great guns? on Muldoon road for 40 cents a piece. They may have some WW brass for the 300 win also.

My 454 casull brass is all mix and match. My hunting load is a 340 at 1350FPS and is not near max so I dont have any problems mixing the brass.

When I load for my 41 mag I work up the loads in all the different kind of cases I have and use a load that will work with them all.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Brass

Ok, pretty much my attitude thus far. In the Casull, whatever brass mix n match. ( I only have a small stockpile, the ony mixing is how many times fired )
    But the 300 I am working on I want to push to my limits. A stated I had settled upon WW years ago and probably looked into it and had a reason. I think it is Tom who said they have the least capacity....meaning more brass, higher pressures and sheer strength. Also I will reload the stuff as many times as it can stand it.

PS I need to make a chamber cast,should I use lead? Pour it? Epoxy? Is there something...a plastic I can melt in there without too much shrinkage?

Thanks again,
    Mark

Default Brass

What does a chamber casting have to do with brass? And do you mean for your 300?? Or the pistol calibers?? Just curious.

I use Winchester brass almost exclusively. I have used Remington some for pistols but won't use it any more for magnum (belted) rifles. I had a 375 H& break right off just below the shoulder and stay in my NEW RIFLE back around 2000, so I decided to use WW til R-P proved itself to me again. That wasn't too much fun.

Default Chamber Cast

Yeah, well.... bit off subject. But I recently sent back a custom ordered 300 Win Mag, I made some cursory measurements off the fired brass, and to the chamber shoulder and was not surprised to see that they had buried the reamer in my barrel. Way overcut, I am surprised it even fired. Firing pin should have just about pushed the cartridge into the cave. When it returns I thought I would inspect it to a higher level. So I want to see what they send me back before I even take it out. I paid a lot and hope I get something for it.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Hey thanks for the tip...on it's way from Brownells...Cerrosafe chamber cast
    Last edited by snowshooze; 04-29-2008 at 19:41. Reason: Fresh news

Default Brass

That's interesting. I don't think that's a common problem getting a chamber that fouled up. What brand of rifle is it and if you won't say on here who did the work, send me a PM. I am curious to know who could jack a belted magnum chamber up and call themselves a "custom shop"...

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Is Starline better, or just cheaper?
    Starline is good stuff. I've used their 10mm, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .400 Cor-Bon, and .357 Sig brass. It's all been top-shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Are the Lapua and exotics really any better?
    Yes, but I doubt you would notice enough difference in a hunting rifle to justify the extra cost. We all have our preferences, but the standard name-brand brass from Winchester, Remington, and Federal is all pretty good. You seem to like Winchester, so I see no reason to stray. Run it and smile.