Thread: DIY Taxidermy

Default DIY Taxidermy

Been messing around doing some at home taxidermy. Did a few bone pieces that came out nice so I decided to try some fur. Saw a nice wolverine at a friends house so I decided that the original "Alaskan Bad *****" would be a nice first attempt. The scars on this ole guys hide sure do tell a tale. So how does he look???

Steve

Default Awesome

Looks great Stid! I can't see the scars you mentioned in the pics, but his head makes him look like an old fella for sure. Serious claws on him too!

scars you can mostly on see with the hide off. But, he has a prize fighter scar over his left eye. Here is one of the claws, they are like a Lynx.

Steve

That's a good looking mount!
    Looks like you worked hard and were well rewarded.

You did an outstanding job on that old boy Steve!

Default looks good

looks great. Did you tan the fur yourself or did you send it out? If you tanned it yourself what did you use? Also if you tanned it yourself is the hide soft and easily flexed?

The only reason I ask is I got a blackie in the garage that i tried self tanning stuff from sportsmans and it turned out kinda stiff.

AKHUNTER, to solve your problem of the hide being stiff after tanning it yourself, you need to break it. I tanned a couple of caribou hides last year and they were stiff right after they were done. But if you take the edge of the hide and stretch the non-fur side a little, it should give and soften up and become more flexable. The only problem is, you are going to have to do that to the entire hide to get it all soft, and with just about anything bigger than a rabbit it takes a long time and is a lot of work.

Two ways that I have been told that make breaking a tanned hide easier is to find an old dryer and put a bunch of saw dust and small pieces of wood in with the hide, and run it a couple of times on the lowest heat setting. You can also get a good sized wooden fence post and put it in the ground, and either sand off or cut off the sharper edges. Then take the hide and pull it over the top of the post fur side up over and over. Eventually it will break the hide and soften it up.

I bought this hide tanned. Tanning is an art, for a soft tan you really need to tumble it. Tanning is a pain, best to send it out IMHO.

Steve

That is the truth. IMO tanning anything bigger than a rabbit is a lot of work, and is well worth the money to have somebody else do it for you.

Default Nice Job!

Looks great! How much time did you put into it?

About 8 hours total over several days. Had to wait for this to soak and for that to dry and so forth.

Steve

Default taxidermy

Looks good! Here is a mallard I mounted last weekend. It too was my first attempt at taxidermy. I learned a lot. Cant wait to do another.

Default Picture #2

Nice Mallard NWF99, another way I found to loosen a stiff thick hide was to use a belt sander with 80 grit. Go slow and use your fingers to apply pressure, you will be able to feel the thick stops between the hide and the belt. BECARFULL, I have only used this around the face were the hide was real thick. It worked great around the lips and lower jaw and I was able to get the stiff thick lips nice and soft and they tucked well. Another trick is to use a light bulb as a fleshing beam around the eyes and lips works great.

Good Luck

Steve

Here is a Turkey head that I repainted for a buddy. The movers and a cat did a number on the ole boy. Looks good as new now.

Steve

Default I do all my own

call me for an estimate!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Might get my next sheep done by you. Is that the grinning redneck upright sneak form??? LOL

Too funny.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jeffin AK View Post
    call me for an estimate!
    I would hold onto that one, seriously. That has to be from the early 1900's. It appears to be mounted on the original skull and jaw. Man , taxidermy sure has evolved! That is some history there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default I saw it on another forum

I saw it on another forum. Two guys said they were hunting Louisiana and saw it in a gas station. There was a kid or young man there who said he did the "mountin all by hisself". He was very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffin AK View Post
    I saw it on another forum. Two guys said they were hunting Louisiana and saw it in a gas station. There was a kid or young man there who said he did the "mountin all by hisself". He was very proud.
    Well, I guess the "hillbilly mounters" are a bit behind modern taxidermists.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.