Thread: Coyote Management

Default Coyote Management

I put this in Game Management forum because I want to open this up for a management discussion. I don't know the history of the Coyote in AK but I know that it is impossible to hunt them to extiction( without poison etc). I am thinking about writing a proposal for the next BOG to end Coyote season and bag limits (No closed/no limit) state wide. I would also like to see the salvage requirement eleminated from 15 Apr- 15 Sep. Just curious what others think.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    .....I don't know the history of the Coyote in AK....
    Source:

.....Coyotes were first noted in the state shortly after the turn of the 20th century. Populations were first reported on the mainland of Southeast Alaska, then slowly expanded northward into the upper Tanana Valley from which they radiated in all directions. A population peak occurred around 1940; since that time numbers have declined in many areas. There are few records of the coyote north of the Yukon River, although they do occur in this area. Portions of the state with the highest densities of coyotes are the Kenai Peninsula, the Matanuska-Susitna valleys and the Copper River Valley. .......
    ....I know that it is impossible to hunt them to extiction( without poison etc)....
    There's plenty of evidence that you can't even hunt them to extinction with poison.

....I am thinking about writing a proposal for the next BOG to end Coyote season and bag limits (No closed/no limit) state wide. I would also like to see the salvage requirement eleminated from 15 Apr- 15 Sep. Just curious what others think.
    Good luck.

I can hear Priscilla Feral and The Legion of Bleeding Hearts already..................

I would support that, but I think the lack of hide salvage requirement might doom the proposal. Get the extended season on the books first, then look into nixing the salvage requirement. If you're stymied on the second point, at least the first will sill be a go.

If this had been in effect last spring, I would have taken two coyotes during the first week of May in Unit 13 just past Chickaloon. As it was I got quite a show watching them chase each other around for a couple of hours, but I would have taken them if it were legal.

Lujon,

Not sure if you're aware of it, but ADFG has to go through every single BOG proposal and give a presentation on it along with the Dept. position. It is amazing how much time that takes on their part.

Not sure if you've talked with area bios about this. What do they think? Is this just for Region II, statewide or? The area bios in affected units are really your best bet for getting the info you will need to first find out if the proposal has merit, and secondly to put in an effective proposal. I can't say yay or nay on my opinion on it, would have to look into what coyote densities are and if there are any biological concerns with no closed season or bag limit. Not personally comfortable with killing something and not salvaging anything, but that's just me.

I agree with what Brian said, get the season liberalized then go for the other issue. Check with the sheep biologist, I think you will find the coyote is becoming the biggest predator on sheep. Sheep and Deer are the only things they can take down.

As for hunting them to extinction? Ain't going to happen. The SW states have tried everything, and nothing worked. All they did was create a super intelligent breed of coyote.

I will also be putting in a proposal to liberalize the season. Right now there is only a restrictive trapping season.

During the season I saw tracks of a coyote here in my yard. I also saw them in the Flood Plain, but I never saw the animals. Now that the season has closed it's like they know they are now safe and are out playing all the time. One ran up to the wife and checked her out at the back door one morning. If that one had came any closer she would have shot it anyway, season or no season. It spooked her bad enough she had the hammer back on her pistol.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"