Thread: Montana Rifles

Default Montana Rifles

Has anyone ever bought one of their barrelled actions. If so what are your impressions. Will any Winchester aftermarket stock work for their actions?

I own a couple. Great value for us left handers. But they will not "drop in" a Winchester 70 stock. They can be made to fit if you are prepared to modify the stock.

You can order a stock from either a McMillan or Accurate Innovations. I see you are from Eagle River, you are welcome to swing by and look at the one I have ready. Currently having another built in 35 Whelen. I ordered both barreled actions through Boondocks.
    Tennessee

Trying to decide whether I should spend a grand on a used Win M-70 in 375H&H or buy a barreled action, I'd prefer the Winchester. Are the Montana receivers cast?

Default Montana Actions

Today may not be the best day for me to respond to your inquire...but...

I have on order a SS action with Montana since early January. I was originally told delivery end of March, then told delivery the end of April, TODAY I was told delivery the end of May. I'm exploring other options and may cancel my order yet. It's a different story everytime I or a friend has called.

Yes they are cast recievers.

Pretty sure they are cast. But it makes no difference to me. Cast,milled or forged, they all start out by steel poured into a mold of some sort.
    Tennessee

Default MRC

I have a stainless one in 6.5-284. I put it in a McMillan Hunter's Edge stock. Fit is good, but not perfect. There is a small gap around the rear tang, but overall it's fine. Mine shoots good, but doesn't feed worth a darn. I sent it back to MRC. Now it feeds better, but still isn't right.

Woody

$1000 for a barrelled action, sounds like you should get better service and a better product than that to me.

Default my latest one

I had a 300 Win Mag built a few months ago. I enjoy it, although the action has a lot of excess medal and is not polished up as much as I would have liked, but that just gives me another project to do. I fitted it with an MPI stock, it really turned out well. I attached a picture of it.

Whit
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's my MRC .25-06. I had it built a few years back. Got the barrel, action and semi-inletted AAA Claro walnut laminated stock from ACRA-Bond (now Serengeti Rifles). Had a 'smith in Colorado put it together. I did the finishing work on the stock. First groups with it were 3/8 inch with 75 grain V-Max and 3/4 inch with 100 gr Interlock. Shot an antelope at 254 and one at 300 yards. and a buncha prairie dogs out to around 400 or so.

It had feeding issues from one side of the magazine, but a little bit of slight bending to the mag box lip fixed that. I've had that same problem with a couple other CRF mags as well, but a little bend has been enough to fix it.

Default Cast or forged

Beg to differ but there are all sorts of significant differences between cast and forged! Forgings are not poured into a mold at all for one.

In a bolt action rifle the forging can be lighter for the same weight and the working surfaces like the rails are machined and smoother than the cast rails.

As far as I can tell the Win. 70 receivers were all forged and machined; Ruger guns for one are castings.

I've never head anyone claim that a casting is better than a forged machined part although some will say they work as well for certain applications. On the other hand forging are used in many critcal applications like aircraft landing gear - there must be a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Pretty sure they are cast. But it makes no difference to me. Cast,milled or forged, they all start out by steel poured into a mold of some sort.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK