Thread: Factory 45 Colt - Who uses best brass?

Default Factory 45 Colt - Who uses best brass?

I just bought a 454 Casull and will be shooting a decent amount of regular 45 Colt loads for practice. I'd like to save the brass up until I have a few hundred and then start reloading. I want to make sure that I buy ammo that uses good brass so I can reload it. Do most of the companies (magtech, ultramax, cabelas bulk etc.) use decent brass or would you stick to a major brand (remington, winchester, hornady etc..). Also, do the cowboy loads use the same brass as the heavy +P loads?

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    I just bought a 454 Casull and will be shooting a decent amount of regular 45 Colt loads for practice. I'd like to save the brass up until I have a few hundred and then start reloading. I want to make sure that I buy ammo that uses good brass so I can reload it. Do most of the companies (magtech, ultramax, cabelas bulk etc.) use decent brass or would you stick to a major brand (remington, winchester, hornady etc..). Also, do the cowboy loads use the same brass as the heavy +P loads?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Sorry, Mike, but that makes no sense to me at all. You can and will reload. You have everything you need equipment wise to load for it why not buy the best brass available, Starline, and what ever bullet you want for practice and start out by loading 100 rounds some evening in new brass. This will save you $50 over the 100 rounds of factory ammo. Now you have some new, best quality brass to load. Nobody makes better handgun brass than Starline, they sell direct or you can get it through Graf & Sons. And even if there was some reason you didn't want Starline, new Winchester brass is still better than general run of the mill,who knows where it was made, factroy ammo brass. The SASS shooters prefer Starline brass.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I misworded my post. I don't reload as of yet. I just bought the gun and want to get shooting with some factory loads and reload after the fact. Guess I'll just buy a few boxes of the cheap stuff and then buy the starline brass and reload those. Any tips on what reloading kits are a good buy for a beginner? Want decent equipment, does not need to be the best.

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    I misworded my post. I don't reload as of yet. I just bought the gun and want to get shooting with some factory loads and reload after the fact. Guess I'll just buy a few boxes of the cheap stuff and then buy the starline brass and reload those. Any tips on what reloading kits are a good buy for a beginner? Want decent equipment, does not need to be the best.

Thanks,
    Mike
    I gottcha. Yeah, I saw your reloading beginner post. First about the brass, you can reload any of the brass brass. Some of the inexpensive ammo is in aluminum cases and some of the foriegn stuff is in thin steel cases, but any brass (with boxer primers) stuff can be loaded and will make good ammo.

At the gun show last week end was an RCBS, cast iron jr press. They don't make that any more, I should have bought it. The cast iron RCBS Rockchucker is the standard, they never wear out. Other companies also make good cast iron presses. There are lots of things to learn before you buy gear other than just what do you need. If you intend to load for a half dozen calibers there are certain things that can help you out a lot. The best way for that education is to watch the operation and take note of the equipment and the different ways of duing the same thing. If you happen to be in Fairbanks, you're welcome to come by for a tour of my reloading bench. I have conducted several classes here in my garage and have several other look see sessions and demos for equipment. Drop me a PM or e-mail if you're in the neighborhood and want to link up.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?