Thread: Filleting dilemma in SE...

Default Filleting dilemma in SE...

So, the "no filleting, mutilating or de-heading" EO is out for Lings, Kings, Coho, Rockfish, etc. in SouthEast... The part I can't figure out reads like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by ADF&G
    Marine boat anglers returning to any port on the road system of the communities identified below, during the designated times, may not fillet, mutilate, or de-head these fish until the fish have been brought to shore and offloaded, unless the fish have been consumed or preserved on board...
    So, if I'm out overnight and I catch a fatty King, I'd like to have a piece for dinner. I'm not likely to just take a section of a fillet off (I'd rather grill a steak anyway!) Besides, while I'm cooking, the head should be in the crab pot catching dungies, right? The dilemma comes when I return to Juneau (or any other creel census port) with a partial King (or coho, or a half-filleted rockfish)... Brian Glynn, the Juneau area biologist with ADF&G is of the opinion that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Glynn, ADF&G
    you would be in violation of...returning to a "creel port" with fish that have been filleted, mutilated or processed.
    Any ideas? I understand their need to be able to measure fish, especially with so many recent regs contingent upon length of the fish. My real complaint is that it sure seems to me like they're really beginning to infringe on my way of life without any biological basis or need...

Am I completely off base here? I mean, I thought I was wrong about something once before... but that turned out to be a mistake too! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Case, I guess it might depend on the meaning of the phrase "during the designated times". Did Brian Glynn have any insight into what that means? Is it all season long...certain times of the day or certain days, or just whenever they announce it for the sake of port sampling?

If I'm not mistaken, a reg like this isn't new but perhaps it's been expanded?
    Last edited by MRFISH; 04-29-2008 at 10:31. Reason: clarity

I didn't quote the whole EO for brevity... the specified times are all summer long.

I realize this is nothing new... it's the same reg we had issued last year, and I'm sure in prior years as well... I just might not have been paying attention. With all the added regulations being argued in various courts and councils, and with increased enforcement effort being promised, I'm just reading the fine print a bit closer and paying more attention now.

On one hand, I'm in violation for returning to Juneau with salmon steaks, on the other hand, I'm in violation if I dump the extra fish that I didn't consume because I'm wasting edible meat... I can't afford the space for a freezer... and DEC has declared that raw salmon is not "prepared for human consumption" unless it's been frozen...

Off to tie some hootchies and glare at the fuel dock workers! ;-)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default filleting problem

Case,of course you are off base.Eat part of a fish on a trip on the water,are you crazy,nobody does that(At least no one at the game dept.appearently)
    Frank

Lightbulb

LOL @ Frank...

As long as I can find a way around this EO, you've got my stash of 46" and 47" kings hidden over there, right? We'll be dishonest charter operators and catch a million or so 47 inchers for non-residents, then cut the heads off so we don't get caught with short fish...

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The CWT program is a very important part of ADF&G salmon stock management. I think the rules are justifiable. Its one of the only ways to track where salmon are from, and way more cost-effective than genetic sampling. Keep in mind that a hell of a lot of the king salmon caught in SE originated from BC, WA, & OR, which, as you probably know, are hurting in the fish-department these days.

Hey Case...you got that fancy boat and no freezer....jeeez Get a C02 fire extinguisher and blast your fish with that. That'll freeze 'em real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    The CWT program is a very important part of ADF&G salmon stock management. I think the rules are justifiable. Its one of the only ways to track where salmon are from, and way more cost-effective than genetic sampling. Keep in mind that a hell of a lot of the king salmon caught in SE originated from BC, WA, & OR, which, as you probably know, are hurting in the fish-department these days.

Hey Case...you got that fancy boat and no freezer....jeeez Get a C02 fire extinguisher and blast your fish with that. That'll freeze 'em real quick.
    I agree that it's an important program for research and stock management. The real dilemma is the burdeon placed on us law-abiding residents... here's what happened to me last week:

I took the family to Sitka for the weekend, and on the way there, my son and I caught a nice King salmon near the entrance to Peril Straits. Not wanting to violate the Emergency Order, we kept the fish iced the first night while we camped at Appleton cove. I was then interviewed by the creel census taker when we arrived in Sitka - she even kept the head. That's all fine and dandy. We ate about 1/4 of the fish that night, then enjoyed the next day in Sitka (eating at the new Channel Club) and headed home. Weather turned nasty, so we spent the night in Tenakee on the way back, and ate 3 dollies that my son caught. Now I'm stuck with a dilemma... do I toss the rest of my king salmon steaks overboard, or do we return to Juneau with the steaks? Not wanting to waste a major portion of the fish, we went ahead and returned to Juneau. Yes, I'm admitting to have been in violation of 1-MS-R-05-08.

Luckily for me, there were no troopers or creel census takers on the dock at Fish Bend when we returned, but ADF&G (Brian Glynn) still maintain that to return to a creel port with de-headed king salmon is a violation of the order.

What's an honest resident to do?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yup, thats a pickle Case....I would've done the same thing. I wasn't trying to be a hard-ass or anything

seriously though, those CO2 extinguishers work, and will keep you legal. They spray out liquid CO2 which is food-safe, and will freeze your fish solid. I'd bet you already have a couple on board.

I second the extinguisher and you may add a vacuum sealer. If you accidently wrote M"ay 07" on the packaged filet in black marker that would be unfortunate.

The better bet would be to bring last years salmon with you and enjoy it while thinking how great it is going to be putting all that new fish in the freezer back home!