Thread: The Shooting Forum....

Default The Shooting Forum....

This is the shooting forum. It is of, for and about shooting in and around Alaska. Because there are bears in Alaska, it is sometimes about shooting bears. If you don't shoot bears, or don't think bears should be shot, this forum might not be for you. If you like spraying bears, for what ever reason, maybe you should go to the bear spray forum, if you can find one. Until then, please keep your posts about shooting or guns (which are used for shooting) or ammo, etc. Bear comments are welcome as long as they are about shooting bears or where to shoot bears or where to find bears to shoot or what gun or ammo with which to shoot bears.

This is not the bear forum where bears come to blog, nor is it the bear spray forum where humans come to blog about spraying bears. Please keep your comments about Shooting.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Whoever said bears shouldn't be shot and killed, needs to be 86'ed off this site, pronto!

If this post is directed at me. I would like to clarify some things.

First, I have never said that I don't believe bears should be shot. I like hunting bears and I would support any means available to defend oneself, including shooting bears nd I have stated this several times. And i would really like the opportunity to hunt bears in Alaska someday.

Second, I have mentioned that I believe a good bear spray is a better defense against bears than a gun. That's my honest opinion. It generated a lot more response than I thought it would and I actually believe the discussion has been good. It think it has brought out a lot of information.

I am quite ready to drop the subject and if you think I should leave the forum, I will.

Mark

This isn't one of "those threads" that requires a reply...it's informational only...that's the way I read it!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    If this post is directed at me. I would like to clarify some things.

First, I have never said that I don't believe bears should be shot. I like hunting bears and I would support any means available to defend oneself, including shooting bears nd I have stated this several times. And i would really like the opportunity to hunt bears in Alaska someday.

Second, I have mentioned that I believe a good bear spray is a better defense against bears than a gun. That's my honest opinion. It generated a lot more response than I thought it would and I actually believe the discussion has been good. It think it has brought out a lot of information.

I am quite ready to drop the subject and if you think I should leave the forum, I will.

Mark

Hooooold on Thar! Don't go anywhere. Caalm down just a bit. Not what this is about. I actually don't care if you talk about shooting bears or not shooting bears, they're fun to watch, also. Just donot mention the word (S...P...R..A...Y) Bears don't like it and I don't either. On this shooting forum we can shoot all the bears, and the bull, we want...S..H..O..O..T is good!

When the question is: What gun/caliber/bullet should I use for bears or bear protection or bear killing, the term "bear spray" always gets things way out of kelter, it has nothing to do with hunting or using a gun for protection. This is about shooting, down the road is another forum about hunting (Many bears are actually killed during the development of those bear stories.), they don't hunt with bear spray either. I suppose a 'be kind to bears' forum may allow the use of bear spray but personally I think that is being cruel to bears anyway. Whether you or anyone else has an opinion about bear spray is totally irrelevant. This is about your opinions about bear guns, not about bear spray or skunk spray. Don't get all bent out of shape or read something into this that isn't there. Just stay with the topic. Any post that mentions bear spray will be moved to the gossip column or to the old ladies knit club or somewhere other than where we shoot. Thank you very much.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    This isn't one of "those threads" that requires a reply...it's informational only...that's the way I read it!
    Yeah, you got it sort of one of those rhetorical posts.

Understood and makes sense, If I talk about spray anymore it will be in GD.

I too think spraying bears with bullets is cruel. One well placed bullet of proper caliber and construction is always preferable to spray and pray.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Second, I have mentioned that I believe a good bear spray is a better defense against bears than a gun.
    There must literally be hundreds of posts regarding the usage and effectiveness of spray listed in the archives. While I personally don't use, nor will probably ever use spray, it is completely a personal decision on what to use, if anything. Most of the people that are firearms and firearms safety knowledgeable will not ever be convinced, so this is an argument or discussion that will probably not end in my lifetime. With all the arguments that have been established on this subject over the years, I am not sure what else can be mentioned unless a new study by an unbiased entity comes to light or if some new technology is developed.

That is not necessary. One should never feel compelled to leave a public forum because others may disagree with their opinions. That's what a discussion board is all about... Different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    That is not necessary. One should never feel compelled to leave a public forum because others may disagree with their opinions. That's what a discussion board is all about... Different opinions.
    Thanks for the comment Flintlock. I misunderstood the original post in this thread and I should have known better than to go down that road in this forum. Although I think it's a good discussion, we dont need to do it here. As I have said before, I am overall impressed with this forum, the participants and the moderators do a great job. I am ready to move on and hopefully everyone else is. I'll be sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Thanks for the comment Flintlock. I misunderstood the original post in this thread and I should have known better than to go down that road in this forum. Although I think it's a good discussion, we dont need to do it here. As I have said before, I am overall impressed with this forum, the participants and the moderators do a great job. I am ready to move on and hopefully everyone else is. I'll be sticking around.

Montana, I am certainly glad you are sticking around and I'm sure others are, too. You do contribute a great deal to this forum in both interest and substance and are always welcome at my fire. My intent was not to run people off or to suppress ideas and other items of interest. I have been asked to promote guns and shooting on this forum and that was simply one of those attempts to do so. There are a myriad of other forums here and elsewhere for us all to get to gether and discuss many things. I find them interesting and I'm sure others do also.

Thanks for the comments even though I may be excluded from them.

^
    ^
    ^
    < Reads OP and looks all squinty-eyed at Murphy and asks: >

Now what the hayel brought that on???

Now what ?

No more discussion of Bear condiments period.....