Thread: ATV Meat Trailer

Default ATV Meat Trailer

I have been shopping around for the right meat trailer lately. If you have looked at them on the showroom floor they can get rather spendy. I have been asking all of my fellow hunters that have ATVs and naturally opinions vary with each individual. One of the guys recommended asking the vast knowledge found here on the forum so here I am...wood, aluminum, fiberglass, high-density plastic? Single axle or dual? Homemade or off the shelf? Naturally money is of a concern but I want to make sure that I get the right one the first time based upon needs.
    For information I have an 06 Arctic Cat 500 (mine) and an 07 Polaris 500 X2 (wifes) but the AC will be the primary puller. I will be doing moose, caribou, and bear hunting so I need (want) the extra room and feel that water-proof should be a high requirement. Thanks in advance.

Here is some reading for you on trailers. I bought one from a guy out in Wasilla a few months ago. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25647

I'll track down his phone number and get it on here. His Craiglist ad has been removed. His business name is Wildcat trailers.

I had a single axle aluminum trailer which was ok but I sold it and go this trailer which is more of what I need.
    EricL

Here be his phone number:
    Wildcat ATV Trailers and Sleds
    907-376-1540
    cell 907-355-1090

He really does great work. His attention to detail especially on the welds and cuts are super. If you need something special like larger fuel can holder or tie downs he will sure work with you.
    EricL

A master fabricater friend of mine made mine for me. A little over 6 ft long and 2 1/2 ft wide and 2ft high sides with a tailgate for the cargo. Designed so I can sleep in if need be. No axle but dog legged so as not to hang up underneath with ground clearance being knee high and haveing a drop hitch with the actual hitch being something I promised not to bring attention to so he can get a patend for as he has already made up about 50 of them,I'll just say its pretty darn slick and has proven itself these last 2 years. I have 25" Mudlites on it and a jeep jerry can holder mounted on either side. Next addition will be to weld a piece of hollow rod capped off on the bottom every so far down the sides and useing some form of fiberglass poles and some canvas work from an upholstry shop to make a cover for it resembling a shorter versoin of a covered wagon.
    He didnt skimp on design and when it was all said and done a have about a grand into it but I'm not complaning as its exactly what I wanted.
    A freind of mine uses one with a rubbermade trough mounted on a frame and 22" tires that he paid $500.00 for and its a pain in the rear for him to deal with loading and I'm always waiting on him as he gets hung up on everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default atv meat trailer

cwoods - if you could PM me with a contact number of the guy who made your trailer and price I would appreciate.

I made my own. I used two inch steel tubing, pretty heavy stuff so it will never bend. The tubing makes the tounge and the axle, with boiler plate cut into triangles and welded on as gussets, where the tounge and axle meet. I bought Spindles with hubs, and mounted them in the steel tubing. Put a coupler on the end of the tounge, and that is the frame. I used tires from a 4-wheeler at first with low pressure. Since I have gone to using bigger 15" tires off a truck so the trailer rides higher, and does not hang up as bad. I built a wooden box and bolted it to the frame. Bottom of box is narrow since the wheels are the same width as a 4-wheeler. Two inches above the tires the box gets wider, to where it just overhangs the wheels. I have gone through five different wooden boxes bolted to this frame in the last 23 years, but the original frame is still going strong, I have not been able to damage it. But the boxes sure take some abuse. The box is six feet long, and I have slept in it one night when caught up high with no shelter. I have used differant tops, some that were flat and hinged, others that had ribs and stood up like a covered wagon. The one I currently have has bolts to hold a Kolpin gun case on top. It also overhangs the front and back making it almost seven feet long. I use some old tent poles that I attach to the sides of the top, then tie down a tarp over it and I have a shelter to sleep in. Sure beats sleeping on the ground. When I make the wooden boxes, I am careful to make good tight joints, then I caulk them. I then paint them with epoxy paint that makes them water proof. This also makes cleaning the blood out of them easier after a hunt. I also added a hitch ball to the back of the trailer. When I get stuck, the hitch ball makes a good place to hook a tow strap to pull it backwards. Once my partner blew up his 4-wheeler, about 60 miles back from the highway. We had a Caribou in each trailer. The trail was good hard surface, so we hooked his trailer to the back of mine. We rode double and I pulled both trailers out. Took a while, but we made it.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default Check out photos of this meat trailer...

I got the plans off the internet from "Triple R Enterprises"? out of Delta Junction. I bolted a Rubbermaid 150 gal agriculture bin from Alaska Mill & Feed in Anchorage to the plywood deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    I got the plans off the internet from "Triple R Enterprises"? out of Delta Junction. I bolted a Rubbermaid 150 gal agriculture bin from Alaska Mill & Feed in Anchorage to the plywood deck.
    Looks exactly like the one my friend built except he used the 100 gal.