Thread: Loading Accurate Nosler Partitions

Default Loading Accurate Nosler Partitions

Loading accurate Nosler Partitions???

I just got done with a buddies .338 Tikka T-3
    Using 225's over RL19 and the best we could get was LARGE groups.
    By large I mean nothing under 5" @ 200 yards.

I have always had trouble getting them to group decent.

I have tried them in 243 and 7mmRM and have not had the best of luck.

Today was a hair puller.

Just so you all know, I have been at this reloading thing a while and do pretty good with most of them bullits, just not these fellars.

I had the same experience with 250 grand slams in the 338 years ago. I have done well with partitions. Have you changed the seating depth or the powder?

I would try some H4831 or H4350. I have done well with both of these powders for accuracy in other cartridges.

There are many variables to ponder.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Yup, lots of variables. I used to have accuracy problems with some individual bullets and some individual guns with the original Noslers, but I'm really surprised when I find a gun that won't do well with the modern versions. I do notice that with the real heaviweights in a particular caliber, accuracy improves the closer to max you get, especially with slower powders.

How accurate? My pet 7mm RemMag hovers just over an inch at 200 yards using Nosler 160s Patitions and a max load of H4831. It does close to that with the Nosler 175 Partitions, too.

My long-throat 257 Roberts does much the same with Nosler 115 Partitions and a hot load of H4831.

I don't currently own a 338, but load for three of them that belong to friends. All three rifles absolutely love Nosler 250 partitions.

Both my 375's will cut ragged holes at 100 with any Nosler Partition you put through them- easily the most accurate bullets I've ever tried in either rifle.

Yet I've got a 284 Win that I don't think has ever hit 2" at 100 with any Partition. Of course, it doesn't much like any bullet that I have tried in it.

How does your rifle perform with other bullets?
    Have you worked up to max with your loads yet? I wouldn't write off the Partitions till you tried some fairly hot loads with slow powders.

This was the first time it has been fired, here are the particulars

CCI 250
    RE 19
    Nosler 225 Partition
    3.740"
    70.0 thru 74.0 at 1/2 gr increments