Thread: Side but side ATV questions

Talking Side but side ATV questions

I'm looking at buying a side buy side ATV and was wondering what one would be the best to buy. The use would be ruining trails on the Peninsula, not afraid of mud or a little wild riding, but because of an eye problem my wife can no longer ride buy herself, so now the need for the side buy side. The Rangers, Rhinos and Mules are all over 50" wide, does this cause any trouble on the trials? The Polaris 4x4 or the 6x6, which is the best? Has any one tried out the Polaris RZR, what are your feelings on it? Thanks for any advise or commits. DAN

If you're just interested in recreational trail riding, probably some of the larger side-by-sides (Ranger, Mule, Teryx) would be overkill for you. These are designed more to be working pickup-truck like vehicles.

I just got a Rzr about a week ago, and so far am really enjoying it. It is virtually the same width as a "regular" ATV, not that that's an issue at places like Jim Creek, where we share the trails with trucks. My other ATV is an Bombardier/CanAm Outlander Max, which is a two-seater also.

Advantages of a side by side include being able to steer with one (either) hand, the steering system is much easier than handlebars, you can actually see and talk to your passenger, there's a roll cage around you, and there's plenty of storage space. Also, they typically have a longer wheelbase than a regular ATV, which smooths out the ride considerably.

To be fair, downsides of side by sides include their weight (they weigh approximately twice what a regular ATV does), they often have less ground clearance, and the fact that you sit lower on the machine. If you plan on doing any river crossings, wearing chest waders (or at the very least high boots) is strongly recommended. Also, with the additional weight, they typically get worse fuel mileage than a regular wheeler, but they compensate for that with larger tanks, so range between fillups is comparable.

I'd suggest looking at the Yamaha Rhino and Polaris Rzr, as both are solid machines. Both can be extensively customized with aftermarket parts (just try plugging "Rhino" or "Rzr" into eBay, and you'll get over 500 listings for accessories). The Rzr has higher performance in stock form, but that probably doesn't matter much for simple trail riding. Also, the Rzr is pretty new, so dealers rarely have them in stock, and some are surcharging them. I bought mine from Hatchers Pass Polaris a few weeks ago, after a 2 week wait, for list price. Conversely, the Rhino has been out long enough, that you sometimes do see used ones on Craiglist.

If you opt for a "regular" style ATV, look at the CanAm Outlanders, Polaris X2s, and Arctic Cat TRVs, as they are all actually designed to carry a passenger.

Default Side X Sides and the state and BLM

I had asked an Blm guy what they thought of the increasing popularity of the side x sides and he stated that the Blm lands and State land have weight limits on OHV's which is 1500 lbs (with rider and gear) so do the math if you intend to ride in thier areas. I think side x sides are useful for alot of people and they are getting better each year. I also talked to the Blm guy about handicap riders in side x sides and he said you could get a special permit which would allow you to use a side x side above the weight limit on thier trails but they are case by case. This is just some information I got to pass on. I dont know what they would do if you were stopped on Blm or State land.

Talking

Thanks for the reply, this was the type of info I was looking for.

weight should not be an issue. the heaviest is a polaris 6x6 ranger 1410 lbs, 4x4 ranger is 1185. my rhino weights in at 1049 lbs. not sure on the others but the 1500 lb rule has not yet been enforced on all trails and like beaver said you could always get a permit if it were to become a problem.

be carefull, they are addicting! i've had 2 already and you can spend money on the them like crazy. have fun.

Everything I have heard is it's 1500 DRY WEIGHT. No way it's loaded weight. If it was then you couldn't hunt with them, even carrying a small moose back would put you over the limit. I think that BLM guy you talked to was full of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I'm looking at buying a side buy side ATV and was wondering what one would be the best to buy. The use would be ruining trails on the Peninsula, not afraid of mud or a little wild riding, but because of an eye problem my wife can no longer ride buy herself, so now the need for the side buy side. The Rangers, Rhinos and Mules are all over 50" wide, does this cause any trouble on the trials? The Polaris 4x4 or the 6x6, which is the best? Has any one tried out the Polaris RZR, what are your feelings on it? Thanks for any advise or commits. DAN
    Dan,
    I have a Rhino 660 so I can give you some facts about it first. I have a couple of opinions about the others as well.

First off, side x sides are great. They are wider than ATVs so narrow trails can be an issue. I would look at the Rhino, RZR, and Tyrex as they are more narrow than the Mule or Ranger. Honda and Can Am are coming out with side x sides soon as well, so you may want to wait and see what they bring to the market place. I have had my Rhino for a year and it has gone everywhere I have asked it to go. I have even be able to drive through a few places that ATVs got stuck. The extra width does have advantages in the deep mud holes. The reduced ground clearance mentioned earlier is not correct. The Rhino has 12" clearance, stock. Add larger tires (like my 26"s on 14" rims) and you have even more clearance than a stock ATV. The biggest issue with the UTVs is stability on side hilling situations. I have offset rims to help tame the tippy feel when side hilling. That makes my Rhino about 6 inches wider than stock...I plan on adding 1.5" wheel spacers to the rear axle pretty soon. That will push my to 9"s wider than stock. Stability is greatly increased without the $5,000.00 cost of a long travel suspension kit. Addi tonally, the Rhinos have one of the best 4x4 systems on the market with zero maintenance required. The bed is larger than on the RZR so you can carry more items when riding. I like to bring a small grill, cooler for food and drinks, and some folding chairs on our Rhino excursions. The RZR has enough room for a medium size cooler and not much more. The RZR is the fastest of the group with an "out of the crate" top speed of about 55mph. The stock Rhino speed is 41mph. My rhino runs 46mph because I have a few upgrades. I have one thing left to upgrade and my Rhino should run a little above 50mph (maybe 53ish). I also have a full cab for my Rhino for winter plowing and trail riding...did I mention the heater I installed??? Ya, I have a heater. It allows me to plow snow down to about zero degrees in just shorts and a t-shirt. The wife likes the heater the best....and when momma is happy...you know the rest.

I would go look at all the side x sides before you make up your mind. They all have their pluses and minuses. Pick the one that suits your needs the best.

Good luck!

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Talking

Akmuddy, thanks for the info. I like the looks of your Rhino. I was leaning toward the RZR, but think the Rhino would be a better all around vehicle. I will have to spend some time looking at all of them.

Akmuddy, thanks for the info. I like the looks of your Rhino. I was leaning toward the RZR, but think the Rhino would be a better all around vehicle. I will have to spend some time looking at all of them.
    The RZR looks cool and is definitely faster in "stock" form but the Rhino does offer more "utility" while still having some "sport" functions. You can take the Rhino to either extreme if you are willing to spend the money. The RZR will never be a "utility" machine but that is not what Polaris had in mind for it. The Ranger fills that portion of the market for them. Do a search online for "Rhino Accessories" and see what comes up. You can turn the Rhino into what ever you want...and when you get board with that...you can change it up again.

I will say that you need to be careful when considering aftermarket performance parts for your Rhino. A lot of people will not agree with me but if they looked into it a little more they would see I am correct...Most aftermarket parts sold for the UTV market don't work as advertised and the minimal power gains do not justify the extreme cost.

When I got my Rhino, I had grand plans to make it the fastest and baddest Rhino in Alaska. I looked at dual exhaust, clutch kits, CDIs, Power Tubes (for the air intake), cams , high compression pistons, turbos, etc..

I based all my decisions on what I knew from the ATV world...You have to change the way you think for upgrading your UTV because of the additional weight.

I'll explain it like this...

If you have to add 5hp - 7hp to get a "seat of the pants" difference in power in your ATV, you will have to add 10hp - 14hp to the UTV to get the same increase in power becuase the UTV weighs almost twice as much. Adding 5hp to a 600lbs machine is a lot different than adding 5hp to a 1049lbs or larger machine. It's not that the performance upgrades do not work, they just do not have the impact they would for an ATV.

Here are the best upgrades for the cheapest money I have found for the Rhino:
    1. Uni Air Filter - $22.00 (helps flow more air in)
    2. eBay high flow exhaust tip - $36.00 (helps flow more air out)
    3. "Hunterworks" Tri-Fire Plus CDI - $154.00 (improves starts, increased speed, removes rev limiters, runs smoother, has "brother-in-law" switch to limit rpms to 5k for novice drivers)
    4. Machined clutch sheave - $200.00 - $300.00 depending on retailer (increases top speed and power through the entire rpm range, and reduces rpms by about 350rpms at speed (this results in quieter engine running...reduces noise in the cab)
    5. Clutch weight swap - $40.00 (increases rpm engagement for increased bottom end performance without dropping top speed like you do with a full clutch kit).

For approximately $450.00 you can have a Rhino that runs around 58mph on stock tires.

The only way to get more "real" (and cheap) power out of your Rhino will be to install a "Mud Buster Cam" and high compression piston. Cost around $350.00

I have talked to folks that spent $850.00 on dual exhaust and lost top speed. The Uni Filter and eBay exhaust tip will perform as well or better than any aftermarket exhaust on the market (for the Rhino). Do not waste your money!!!

Keep in mind my statements are meant to be general in nature. There are several ways to get more power (Turbo, NOS, R1 engine swap) but those are really extreme upgrades. I am talking about more normal upgrades that anyone can afford to do.

Do a search for "Hunterworks". Look at their site. They are awesome and have shipped things to me in the past for free. They have a forum as well...great information and Todd always provides an "instructional video" for installing every part he sells. If you go with the RZR, he sell parts as well (with videos). Hope this helps!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Talking

Akmuddy, you have been a great help! this is the info I was looking for. The after market parts info is really good to know and I will look into it. DAN

Akmuddy, you have been a great help! this is the info I was looking for. The after market parts info is really good to know and I will look into it. DAN
    Just trying to help. An informed buyer is a happy owner! Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

The Arctic Cat Prowler is also worth a look.

try looking in this months Mother Earth news..they have a great article and a comparison of all the side by side atv's

Quote Originally Posted by hotcity2 View Post
    try looking in this months Mother Earth news..they have a great article and a comparison of all the side by side atv's
    Can you post a link to the article. I looked on the web site but got lost between the "How to build a tree swing" and "Ten Commandments for raising healthy sheep" articles...
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

I will see if I can find it. I saw the article in a mother earth printed magazine.

Another happy rhino owner here! I have a red 07 660. I did the cam and piston like muddy was talking about and wow.....definitely kick in the seat of the pants. Good luck with your decision. I have never regretted buying this sidexside one bit. I have the exhaust tip, unifilter, 2" Lift Kit, 27" Kenda Executioners, 11:1 piston, and mudbuster cam and she's an animal. I'm sure you'll find the sidexside to suit your needs. Can't forget the radio either.

Talking Thanks

Thanks for all the info! You all have got me convinced to look real serious at the Rhino. DAN

I've seen a few people saying how good these exhaust tips are. But they are only slightly better than stock. I've used them. You also need to drill out the baffles inside the muffler to get maximum effect ( 5-6 1/2 holes or remove all of it) with the exhaust tip.
    Neither the exhaust tip or tip with the baffle mod come close to the power gain from an HMF muffler. I tried them all