Thread: getting Started

Default getting Started

Ok I have my bait out now, I used dog food covered with syrup and honey. A few questions I have are. 1. Is their any other sugestions on what I may use for bait/sent. 2. How much longer do you think it is going to take before the bait should start getting hit.any help is greatly apperciated thank you.

Default Lots of variables

I have had bait hit on the first day on the susitna drainage. I have seen it take a week or longer in the hope area and still not get hit very hard. Area is the first thing. As far as scent. I like to take anise (sp) oil. Smells just like black licorace. I rip some old shirt into 3 or 4 inch strips. I soak it in the oil. I bend over a 8-10 tree or tall willow and tie it to it and then let it go. Getting it up off the ground and getting the scent out there in the wind cant hurt. Just my .02 worth
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I have baited alot of bear and some get hit over night and some take a week but I think that the stinkier you can make it at first the better then they can smell it a long ways away I use alot of liquid smoke and cooking grease spray it all over the trees way up high so the wind carries it I know alot of guys that use meat but I honestly don't like it cause it rots and stinks bad and when it comes to clean up its a mess and honestly what would you rether eat a stale donut or rotten meat?? I think the bears feel the same way!! Just my opinion!!

Aaron

Default anise

I used some of that anise stuff and threw it in the top of a tree so I hope that will help some. I am trying it in 14a so I will have to see what happens.

Default sweets!

pancakes, bread, donuts ect. - laced with sugar or syryp, spray vanilla and mix up some fruit flavor jello and spray it around for scent. never had any good luck with meat. try and keep your bait dry and healthy, you dont want it to mold. get the scent up high so the wind can catch it.

good luck!

I like to hang stink baits out away from my bait or some fermented/rotten carcasses in a burlap bag then drag them around the bait site, usually 300 or so yards away. I have found that stink baits are great at bringing in the bears and then once they find the bait station the food will keep them coming back.

I like mollases too. I like to cover up the barrels with it, trees. Make it so they will probably get it on their feet, fur, ect. I think that also help them to leave down a scent trail that other bears will hopefully pick up on.

Also, I was getting pretty frustrated about no hits last year. I did a jello/honey burn, Man did that work! Basicly I took a empty coffee can, Put about half a honey bears worth of honey in it, A box of jello, and heated it up with a sterno at the bait. Just let it burn and smoke till it goes out. Takes about 15-20 minutes but man, its pretty impressive and it get the scent out there.

When I did it I got hits that night.

DO NOT use fish for bait is my last tip.

Another tip I forgot to mention was laying down a greasepad in front of your barrel, it will bring more bears into your station without you having to do anymore tromping through the woods. Only downfall is you have to clean it up when your done but chances are the bears will get most of it.

Jim lake and above seem to hit before baits put out in the turnagin arm area/Hope.

Don't load you bait up to much. You risk of it going bad/critters stealing your food. Once your baits hit load it up!!!!!!

I love to burn Jello powder. Man this stuff puts a strong odor out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default thanks

Thanks for eveyones input I will keep you all up to date. I am going to try the honey burn and the jello trick so wish me luck. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Jim lake and above seem to hit before baits put out in the turnagin arm area/Hope.

Don't load you bait up to much. You risk of it going bad/critters stealing your food. Once your baits hit load it up!!!!!!

I love to burn Jello powder. Man this stuff puts a strong odor out.

Gary, do you do a burn with only the jello powder or along with honey, etc?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Gary, do you do a burn with only the jello powder or along with honey, etc?
    I put two big packs in (cherry) and add water but not to much. I want it to burn.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks Gary. Never heard of a straight Jello burn before. Cheap & easy!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Cheap & easy!
    Best part about it
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Be careful with the "burn". I set mine in the tree with me so that I can control it and keep the fire danger down. If you are in the tree and a brown bear visits you andknocks the burn stuff over on the ground you are screwed.