Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swivel trailer hitch for ATV?

Default Swivel trailer hitch for ATV?

Anybody towing a trailer off road with their Argo or quad and have an articulated hitch of some sort? I'm planning on building a trailer to tow behind my Argo Frontier during hunting season and I was thinking about what kind of hitch would work.

The traditional automotive ball and hitch doesn't seem to offer much range of motion for off road use.

A pintle hook and tow ring would work but all the ones I've are way too big and over built for and AATV application.

A lawn garden tractor simple pin type hook up probably doesn't offer much more range of motion than a ball.

What do you guy use? Any home made hitch with more range of motion?
    I'm thinking something that would allow movement up and down, side to side and swivel.

Thanks.

My 2" ball has enough range of motion for the trailer to roll over. We've used the automotive type for years without problems. Except when the coupler wears out, but thats an easy fix.
    That said, a scaled down pintle hitch would be nice. Seems like dad had a pintle type hitch on the snowmachine a few years back, it should work on ATVs also.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=30405&mmyId=

After some "Googling" I also found this set up http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTrailercoupling.htm shouldn't be too hard or expensive to build by someone who can weld.

Here's one I made. Cost 10 bucks for materials. I have used it hard. It works pretty good.

http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneid...toAlbum15.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    The traditional automotive ball and hitch doesn't seem to offer much range of motion for off road use.
    It may not seem to but it sure does. Thousands of miles pulling trailers with the ball and hitch and NEVER a reason to try something else

Thumbs down Swivels are bad!

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    It may not seem to but it sure does. Thousands of miles pulling trailers with the ball and hitch and NEVER a reason to try something else
    I agree 100% on this one. With the swivel setup, I have seen ALOT of trailers rollover over various terrain, especially with a little sidehilling. The worst one was in a river crossing.. WHY? Because of TOO MUCH play in the system. Not good... Stick to the old original and deal with it... My .02...

The roll over factor has a lot to do with the trailer and tongue design in my opinion.Mine does swivel but havent had a problem except tipping on its side a time or two at extreme angles on serious terrain breaking trail where the winch is used nonstop to get up over and around areas I shouldnt be to get away from others during hunting season.
    If I should tip it I at least know I have to just get off the machine and put it back on its wheels and no chance of taking the machine with it or snapping a hitch leaving you to deal with a whole nother problem. This has only happened twice to me and like I said was in extreme conditions.JMO

cwoods, what kind of hitch do you have on your trailer? I'm thinking the same thing, the trailer I'm planing on building will be as wide as my Argo with the wheels on the side of cargo area, it should be very stable and I'm not too worry about tipping it over.

Steve, my buddy who built my trailer for me has made up about 50 of these hitches and he was gonna look into getting a patent on his design.He asked me not to advertise what he came up with in the mean time so I have to honor that....otherwise I would have no problem what-so-ever sharing what I know.Hope you understand.Ive put mine through quite a bit and I can honestly say it IS the way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a tracked trailer that I tow behind my track rig. The A-frame on the front of the trailer has a sleeve welded in place where the arms meet. A piece of steel tubing/pipe about 2" is ran through the sleeve, with a ring welded on the back side to keep it from coming out of the sleeve. Then the hitch is welded onto the tubing/pipe. The tubing is free to spin around inside the sleeve. The hitch is then hooked onto a reguler hitch ball, on the back of the track rig.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

No problem cwoods, I understand. Thanks for the pictures, nice trailer. I'm basically planning on a similar design as yours but with a walking beam. This is what I'm thinking about, but with wider rear quad tires instead of front quad tires like on the pic (I already have the 4 tires and wheel in my garage)

I was playing with a ball and hitch I have in my garage and looking at how much range of motion it has. I could get a bit more range by grinding the "lip" that around the hitch. The "lip" contacts the ball first and limits the range. Without the "lip" I would get more range to the sides and to the front (wouldn't change anything at the rear). Another thing to consider to keep things simple.

Nice looking design,Its nice to build yourself from scratch.You get exactly what fits YOUR needs.

Hey BC! Without seeing the setup cwoods has I would say that a pintle type hitch is the way to go. It gives full range of motion up and down to over a 90 deg angle if needed, but wont let it go more than up on its side. The hardcore rock crawlers that find the need to tow a trailer have used the pintle hitch for a lot of years and they are available in lots of sizes for various weight loads. Definitely a tried and true setup.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I agree on the pintle hook. I just wish they would make an ATV size version of it. The smallest one are rated for 5 ton, weights over 10 pound and are about 6" in height. Kind of an overkill for a 1000 lbs load.

I know they make smaller ones than that because we have them at my real job with the military. They are used on the back of large aircraft maintenance stands to be able to tow them tandem. Larger than a snowmobile type hitch, so I think they would be just the ticket. I will see what I can come up with for a manufacturer or something. At least some pics. I dont think it would be too difficult to make something that would work exactly the size you need.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Swivel Hitch for Quads/ATV

Cory,

We have patented an idea that we use to pull a cargo trailer behind our Goldwing. Our son also uses it to pull trailers behind his ATV. We suggest you visit our website and watch the Youtube videos of its use, installation and a short trailer hook-up demonstration. We have powder coating of various colors and a chrome plated version to choose from. (Pic's are on the way for the chrome and color choices)

Thank you,
    Todd&Cricket
    Meadows Ent.

I came across a fella in Eagle River, up on Hiland Rd, who was making ATV hitches with U-joints. I dunno what ever happened to him/his work but I know he sold them locally..I'll try and get ahold of him and see if he's still doing it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talking alot of good ideas

All theese trailers look and sound like they would work good,lots of cool ideas, what works for one guy may not be worth a hoot for the next guy, go with what you think will work for you, the only problem is, we only have 257 days until moose season, but whoose counting, good luck

I ended up going with a 2" coupler to keep it simple for this year. I didn't get a moose this year so I didn't get a chance to really test it. I'm still thinking a swivel of some sort would be better but we'll see.

Default nice trailer dude

hell that otta take what ever you throw in it or at it,thing looks rock solid,that is exactly what you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast