Thread: bores

Default bores

A friend spent the weekend with me this last weekend and brought his borescope, I looked at the bores on all my familys rifles these include 1 remington, a ruger hawkeye 375, a stainless ruger m77 30/06, a winchester model 70 270, a marlin 1895 guide gun and 2 tikkas a T3 lite 30/06 and a 695 338. The tikkas were absolutely flawless, like glass no tooling marks ect. The Marlin was also good although not as good as the Tikkas. Because of the bores the Tikkas dont fowl as bad and are the most accurate guns we own. The winchester was horrible, real rough tooling marks (it also is the worst shooter of the bunch) Of the 2 Rugers the 375 hawk eye was worse than the M77. Just looking at the bores was interesting, it really showed the quality in the barrels. There just was no comparison the Tikkas were just much better.

I don't have a bore scope, but just from looking through the bores of my Tikka and Marlin with the bolts out, I can definitely tell the difference. Just like yours, the Tikka is smooth and shiny, while the Marlin is more subdued.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Thumbs up I hear you...

It is amazing the variance in quality between barrels. The roughest two barrels that I have ever owned (i.e., absolutely filled with tool marks) were both from the custom shops of respected manufacturers (T/C & Kimber). I sent the .257 Roberts T/C barrel back to T/C after wasting alot of time trying to break it in, and work up loads for it until my gun smith borescoped it. The Kimber is a pistol barrel (1911 Custom Shop), and it is soon to be sent back to them as well...it should have never passed quality control inspection.

Like you guys, I also have a Tikka (an older one, Model 595 in 22-250), and also like you guys the bore is a smooth as glass...and very accurate.

My Shilen barrels are very smooth on my custom rifles and truly are my most accurate barrels.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default green mountian

Yea i forgot to mention my knight 50 cal. muzzle loader, it was very good as well, maybe not quite as good as the European stuff but very close. Does anyone know if Tikka barrels are lapped at the factory? I am ordering a left hand T3 in 338 federal, kind of nice that they offer this caliber in left hand most gun company's stick us lefties with plain jane calibers.