Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tractor Launch

Default Tractor Launch

Does anyone know if the Tractors begin the season on May1 at Deep Creek this year?
    What about Anchor Point?

Tnx RD

Default Mmmm groan!

Well everyone here knows my attitude toward the tractor launches! yes I will spare you.

It will be interesting what kind of extortion money they will charge you this year.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

ive heard rumors anchor point launch is going to $55 this year

Spoke with a friend who charters and lives in Ninilchic he said tractors will start on the 1st of May.

This shows the times and fees for the season...
    http://www.marineservicesak.com/

Charterboat Operator

anchor point is opening on Thursday also.

How is the launch facility at Anchor Point? I have a 20' jet boat and am slightly intimidated by the tractor launch.

Do you launch off a beach or into the river at Anchor Point? How does it compare to Homer?

Thanks

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    How is the launch facility at Anchor Point? I have a 20' jet boat and am slightly intimidated by the tractor launch.

Do you launch off a beach or into the river at Anchor Point? How does it compare to Homer?

Thanks
    just have a good set of guide-ons, no problem. biggest issue most folks have with the tractors is not driving there boat all the way onto the trailer in a running tide, can even get more challenging in a good surf. you jaust cant be shy and drive it all the way onto the trailer. Worst issue i can see is the lack of control with a jet at low speeds.

Thumbs down WOW

$55. I remember when it was $24 in/out which I thought was reasonable. I don't take the excuse about how much fuel either because they don't burn that much to put me in or take me out. Their attitude sucks too. But they are the only game in town.

I know gas used to be $1.25 too.

You can launch in the river (or used too). Don't know the status of the land down on that end now days. Just watch the tides. 2 hours before high tide will get you out and you need to be back in a hour or so after high tide in order to make it up the river.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Charterboat Operator

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    $55. I remember when it was $24 in/out which I thought was reasonable. I don't take the excuse about how much fuel either because they don't burn that much to put me in or take me out. Their attitude sucks too. But they are the only game in town.

I know gas used to be $1.25 too.

You can launch in the river (or used too). Don't know the status of the land down on that end now days. Just watch the tides. 2 hours before high tide will get you out and you need to be back in a hour or so after high tide in order to make it up the river.
    sounds like the tractor guru's have pee'd in you wheaties a time or 2!

Remember when you could buy a 4wd to launch yourself for $ 5000. instead of $50,000. Of course our boats were about 1/3 the size then so we could do it too!

Myself, i like bieng able to go out fishing and never get out of my moccasins,

Heck, you should have been at Eagle Rock on the Kenai last year when the guy raised the price from $20 to $40 over night just to use the ramp!

Default 55 bucks...

Anyone know what the launch fee is at the Homer spit? They might be getting more business if the Anchor Point tractors price themselves over market value of their service. It's not that much further to get to Homer and use a nice harbor boat launch.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Anyone know what the launch fee is at the Homer spit? They might be getting more business if the Anchor Point tractors price themselves over market value of their service. It's not that much further to get to Homer and use a nice harbor boat launch.

Looks like $12 a day in Homer.

http://port.ci.homer.ak.us/Fees2008.pdf

Charterboat Operator

Default mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Mdcak View Post
    Looks like $12 a day in Homer.

http://port.ci.homer.ak.us/Fees2008.pdf
    not defending the tractor prices, figure gas/diesel to drive to past anchor point to the spit, $12 launch - $5 park, 15 miles to cook inlet @ 3mpg./ $20.each way, the drive back and the most important one TIME.

there are certainly other areas to fish , not denying that, but $ for $ if you are wanting to fish C I you are going to pay about the same price.

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    sounds like the tractor guru's have pee'd in you wheaties a time or 2!
    At least 3 or 4 times. Some of my earlier posts says why.

Anchor point used to be a fun family place to go. Not anymore, hence why I go to PWS now. I must say the butts are harder to find, scenery is better. But camping on the beach was a blast. Miss it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Not far

Anchor Point to Homer-18 miles.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    not defending the tractor prices, figure gas/diesel to drive to past anchor point to the spit, $12 launch - $5 park, 15 miles to cook inlet @ 3mpg./ $20.each way, the drive back and the most important one TIME.

there are certainly other areas to fish , not denying that, but $ for $ if you are wanting to fish C I you are going to pay about the same price.
    By the same token... why do we drive 20 miles past Ninilchik to get to Anchor Point?

To do Homer over Anchor Point, you have an extra hour RT on the highway and 4 gallons of highway gas ($16). Then, if you're going to hit the same fishing spot your adding a total of 40 miles RT (it's 20 miles each way to get from the spit out to roughly even with Anchor Point on a heading that takes you to the same fishing grounds. So, the amount of fuel there depends completely on your boat/motor setup and the weather. So no, you're not really saving any money. Probably the tractor guys have figured all this into their price increase, so they are charging just under what it would take to go down to Homer. And thereby squeezing every possible dollar out of the customer.

Alternatively, you could get your own "tractor" 4x4 truck with a beach launch trailer and launch your own boat anywhere you have access to the beach.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

By the same token... why do we drive 20 miles past Ninilchik to get to Anchor Point?

Alternatively, you could get your own "tractor" 4x4 truck with a beach launch trailer and launch your own boat anywhere you have access to the beach.
    I'm seriously thinking of using the warn winch on my f-350 to ensure I don't get stuck. I plan to use two pickups, launch, hook up the winch to the other truck and drive out/winch if the wheels start to spin. Or I could use a really big sand anchor but I don't know if that would hold.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Charterboat Operator

Default boat?

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of using the warn winch on my f-350 to ensure I don't get stuck. I plan to use two pickups, launch, hook up the winch to the other truck and drive out/winch if the wheels start to spin. Or I could use a really big sand anchor but I don't know if that would hold.
    what type of boat are you launching?

Default So if it is the same

To do Homer over Anchor Point, you have an extra hour RT on the highway and 4 gallons of highway gas ($16). Then, if you're going to hit the same fishing spot your adding a total of 40 miles RT (it's 20 miles each way to get from the spit out to roughly even with Anchor Point on a heading that takes you to the same fishing grounds. So, the amount of fuel there depends completely on your boat/motor setup and the weather. So no, you're not really saving any money. Probably the tractor guys have figured all this into their price increase, so they are charging just under what it would take to go down to Homer. And thereby squeezing every possible dollar out of the customer.

price wise, why put up the piss poor attitude of the tractor guys? They have repeatedly told me "we are the only game in town, so you will be back!" I even filed a complaint with the BBB and their response was "get over it or go to Homer!"

So I did, but the other way, I went to Whittier

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast