Thread: Does your Bullet work for you.....?

Default Does your Bullet work for you.....?

I have some questions about some ammo, well, actually bullets and would like to get some results data about the Accubond and Scirocco bullets. If you have used these, could you answer the questions for me. Many thanks.

What caliber?
    Accubond or Scirocco?
    What bullet weight?
    What muzzle velocity if known?
    What animal?
    What distance?
    Did the bullet exit?
    Would you consider it a clean kill?
    What internal damage?
    (Minimal, average, massive, pencil hole through?)

Any and all animals, no other bullets at this time please. Thanks.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

What caliber? 300 winchester magnum
    Accubond or Scirocco? scirocco (first generation)
    What bullet weight? 180 grain
    What muzzle velocity if known? remington factory loads, unsure of velocity
    What animal? goat
    What distance? 350+ yards
    Did the bullet exit? yes
    Would you consider it a clean kill? yes
    What internal damage? massive. It left a fist size hole.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

What caliber? 30-06
    Accubond or Scirocco? Accubond
    What bullet weight? 180
    What muzzle velocity if known? 2650
    What animal? Large Black Bear
    What distance? 210yds.
    Did the bullet exit? Yes
    Would you consider it a clean kill? Yes
    What internal damage? Above average

What caliber? 300 wsm
    What bullet weight? 150gr
    What muzzle velocity if known? 2950
    What animal? Muley, Whitetail, Antelope
    What distance? 140y, 160y, 165y and 50y
    Did the bullet exit? Yes
    Would you consider it a clean kill? Yes
    What internal damage? Plenty
    I loaded some 150 accubonds two years ago when I was down in South Dakota. All of the bullets performed to my expectations. None of the bullets appeared to blow up, and the only one with real extensive damage was a kid antelope that I ended up shooting facing straight on in the neck at 50 yards. That one left a good hole, but the rest were about right. Lots of internal damage, and not a big mess coming out. Two of the other shots were broadside, and the muley buck was quartering towards. He went the farthest, about 20y. The only thing I noticed was after putting on many miles, the poly tips would deform a bit in the magazine. I called nosler on this and they said it would not really affect accuracy. I had the same happen with some hornady 165 gr. interbonds this winter. The accubonds and interbonds are cheaper than the sciroccos, which is why I tried them first. Hope that helps.

What caliber? 300 rum
    Accubond or Scirocco? Scirocco
    What bullet weight? 165 gr
    What muzzle velocity if known? unknown Rem factory load
    What animal? goat
    What distance? 140 yds
    Did the bullet exit? yes
    What internal damage? massive, quartering away shot through back of ribs exited with large hole out the opp. side neck. ( dropped goat on spot)

Default Accubonds

What caliber? 338
    What bullet weight? 225 grain
    What muzzle velocity if known? unknown Winchester Factory Load
    What animal? Caribou x 3
    What distance? 80 yards, 100 yards, 50 yards
    Did the bullet exit? no, yes, yes
    Would you consider it a clean kill? yes x 3
    What internal damage? Average x 3. The reason the first kill did not produce an exit is the bullet hit the caribou in the antler breaking it in half, went through the front shoulder breaking it severly, and stopped just under the hide on the far side. I just loaded up some 200 grain accubonds and looking forward to shooting them!

What caliber? .270 winchester
    What bullet weight? 130 grain
    What muzzle velocity if known? 3100 fps
    What animal? Mule Deer, Goat, Shiras Moose
    What distance? 310 yards, 293 yards, 120 yards
    Did the bullet exit? Yes, Yes, No
    Would you consider it a clean kill? yes , the mule deet dropped so fast the ticks didn't have time to catch up. The goat was tough, took a shot in the lungs and ran about 40 yards, hit him in the spine on the second and dropped him. The moose took a shot to the base of the neck and died instantly.

What internal damage? Much like that from a partition. Bullet recovered from the moose weighed 103 grains.

Curious to see how the 260 accubond in a 375 H&H at 2800 FPS does on Alaskan Moose this fall.

325WSM
    200gr. Accubond
    Factory Ammo
    Unkown velocity
    Medium sized Sitka Blacktail broadside shot at 240 yds.
    Good damage to lungs, no damage to heart or tenderloins.
    Full penetration with half-dollar exit hole.
    Very clean kill. Dropped in its tracks.

What caliber? 300WM
    What bullet weight? 180
    What muzzle velocity if known? 3100
    What animal? Mule Deer, Elk, Caribou
    What distance? 110yrds, 35 yards, 195 yards
    Did the bullet exit? Yes, no, yes
    Would you consider it a clean kill? Deer and caribou dropped in their tracks. Elk went about 3 yards
    What internal damage? All had average to massive internal damage

On one mule deer shot with accubonds, I did have the bullet fragment on me. It went in through the shoulder, caused massive damage to the organs, left a huge exit wound but a frag from the bullet came out between the eyes. Never saw anything like it before. Never had one fragment on me since.

What bullet weight? 180
    What muzzle velocity if known 3100
    What animal? Moose
    What distance? 40yards
    Did the bullet exit? yes
    What internal damage? Good amount

Smile

caliber: 8mm mag
    bullet: 200gr nosler partition
    velocity: 2980
    animal: moose
    distance: 400 yards
    did bullet exit: no
    clean kill: yes
    internal damage: incredible
    clean heart shot, , moose dropped in its tracks, 54 in bull, turned heart into a nice jello

Default Accubonds

What caliber? .25-06
    Accubond or Scirocco? ACCUBOND
    What bullet weight? 110
    What muzzle velocity if known? 3425 fps
    What animal? DEER HOGS
    What distance? 25-400+ YARDS
    Did the bullet exit? YES
    Would you consider it a clean kill? YES
    What internal damage? SUFFICIENT

Bullets give complete pass throughs, but appears Partitions "kill" faster. Also tried Accubonds in several other calibers, and same results.

What caliber? 300 RUM
    What bullet weight? 200, 180
    What muzzle velocity if known? 3170, 3330
    What animal? Several caribou
    What distance? 65/178/180-190/328/419
    Did the bullet exit? Yes to all.
    65 broadside hit Rt shoulder (oops) both shoulders, what a mess.
    178 broadside behind Lt shoulder (only one that was not down by the time I re chambered and got back on target, was staggering and went down within 2 seconds though.
    180-190 both quartering away hit Lt side just behind ribs exited right shoulder on both.
    328 behind right shoulder.
    419 back edge Rt shoulder exited left hip.
    Would you consider it a clean kill? yes, all 1 shot
    What internal damage? Massive, especially at close range.

I have a friend who guides and started using them just over a year ago in 300 WeaM. He's thrilled so far even on brown bear (2) and moose. Says penetration is excellent.

They seem to open quickly judging from wound channels then still penetrate well.

Default I am a one bullet guy (now)

I (or my rifle in someone else’s hands) have shot several animals all using the same round (hand loaded)

What caliber? 300 REUM
    Accubond or Scirocco? Scirocco
    What bullet weight? 180
    What muzzle velocity if known? 3150
    What animal? See below
    What distance? See below
    Did the bullet exit? See below
    Would you consider it a clean kill? See below
    What internal damage? See below

The first animal I shot with this rifle was a caribou at 130 yards. It was presenting a left side quartering away shot I hit it a little far back and high, it traveled along the spine destroying a lot of bone and lodged against the skin on the off side above the shoulder, this was the least satisfying shot I have had with this round and rifle. I failed to do an adequate equipment inspection and I had a loose mount on the scope that would allow the scope to shift periodically.

I shot a Blackie with it at 2oo yards that destroyed both front shoulders and ended the bear pretty quick. DRT

A caribou at 150 yards that went through the lungs and exited. The entry hole was just bigger than diameter and the exit hole was about 2.5 inches, massive internal damage. Very little deflection when hitting a rib it just took that chunk of bone with it right out the other side.

Very similar results as above caribou at 3 others all between 325 and 430 yards. Going through and causing massive damage.

I shot a river otter with it last year it went in below the upper lip on the near side and exited below the off side eye, both holes at or near diameter range was 80 yards. Point of trivial the bones that form the roof of a river Otters mouth at about 3/8 of and inch thick

A frontal shot on a mature Bison at 326 yards the bullet penetrated the skull on a line between the base on the horns about 3 inches above the top of the eyes. No lie the hole going in was about 1 inch the bullet exited the back of the head to the left side of the animal and the hole is about 2 inches. You can see where the bullet was shoving the bone out.

A cow moose at about 130 yards double lunged she ran about 200 yards and toppled
    over. Lots of jelly inside.

A friend of mine with 20 years swat sniper experience shot a brown bear with my rifle,

416 yards he placed the bullet 2 inches above the heart, the bear spun around and took a step as he fired the next round which destroyed the hip, I mean a fist sized hole in the meat around the bone and completely shattered the pelvis on that side. The bear fell over immediately and quite moving within a minute.

Seams to me that at any of these ranges the bullet will punch a hole unless you catch something pretty solid, if you do that it will look like it was hit with a sledge hammer that was moving out. I would not want to get any where near the meat with this bullet on anything I wanted to eat. So it is not the most forgiving. I really like it because everything I point that rifle at gets ended very effectively. I know this may have more to do with the gun optics and round combo and not just the bullet (it must be the gun because I am not a great shot).

PS.
    I understand that many would find some of these shots questionable. I am open to that discussion via PM or whatever, lets not clutter the mans thread with that debate.

This has worked out very well. Lots of good information here. Many thanks to all who participated in this and for all your detailed responses, this is very helpful.

I think the general synopsis is that both these bullets are very effective, especially when driven at higher velocity. Maybe not the best for meat hunters but effective none the less and very similar in performance. No one detailed anything that I would call bullet failure, obviously hitting bones is always hard on any bullet, and most did produce exit holes which I've always considered better than a one hole wound.

Thanks again to all of you, this was very helpful.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?