Thread: Filson Problems?

Default Filson Problems?

I bought a Filson Tin hat a long time ago. It shrunk when it dried. No big deal cause it was on sale. I gave it to a nephew.

Now I want a wool coat and am worried about it shrinking. Anyone had one of their mackinaws or "halibut jackets" for a long time with no probs?
    Tell me I can get one worry-free
    Thanks,
    Ben

Default not to worry

I've been wearing Filson stuff for 20 years or so, and my dad for at least that long before me. As long as you just hang them up and let them dry on their own, they're fine. I've never had any Filson gear shrink.

I have two double mackinaw cruisers, both for a long time. No shrinkage problems here.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Never a problem with my Filson gear. Bought a Dbl Mackinaw last year and completely satisfied.

Did you contact Filson about your problem?

I agree with the crew....My Dbl Mac has no problems, just let hang dry. My hats, and shelter cloth packer coat has no issues. My uncle has my great grandfathers Mac Cruiser and after 50 years, still no issues except one small moth hole near a pocket.

Ron

The only problem I can see with Filson stuff is that it lasts so long that they probably have to keep the prices high just to make some money since nobody needs to replace it very often.
    I've got a shelter cloth packer hat that has become my trademark. I keep it waxed up good, and have several pictures of me wearing that hat w/various dead critters in my class room. My students think I look like Indiana Jones when I wear it.

Default My bush hat shrunk too!

My shrunk too, but I fixed it with 2 Irwin quick clamps stretching it out. But all my Filson wool is bomb proof.

I only have one Filson jacket that has shrunk, the one I bought in 1980 soesn't fit anymore. Dang, they last so long you just out grow them!! Jim

the tin hats do shrink a bit...Filson will put them on a hat stretcher and stretch them a bit for you...
    they recommend the next larger size.
    I have the double mak, no shrinkage on that, but has gotten tighter as my won gross tonnage has increased..

Default Great

I got a makinaw. Pockets are awesome, esp for cc.
    Thx guys.

Filson tin hats will shrink. Get the next bigger size up. I wear a 7 1/4 so I got 7 1/2. I wet them down and let them shrink up before wearing. After that first shirkage they usually don't get any smaller.