Thread: CCW classes

Default CCW classes

Hi all,

Who else offers CCW classes besides Alaska Tactical? They are full right now.

Does anybody know if there are any coming up in May?

I am in the Anchorage area.

Thanks

Sorry I have no answer to your question -- I am not local to Alaska. I actually have a question -- why do you need a CCW? My understanding was that it's optional to get CCW in Alaska -- you are already allowed concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by mve View Post
    Sorry I have no answer to your question -- I am not local to Alaska. I actually have a question -- why do you need a CCW? My understanding was that it's optional to get CCW in Alaska -- you are already allowed concealed carry.
    One reason is that Alaska has reciprocity with several other states. This would allow one to ccw while traveling in some parts of the "Lower 48".

Also training is good. I know at Alaska Tactical they go over basic safety, shooting, legal issues, etc. I have my ccw. I decided to get my ccw along with Defensive Handgun training a couple years back when I first got into more serious handgunning. Serious yet a lot of fun to boot!

Default Reciprocity

This is true. You don't need a license to CC up here. But I travel a fair amount and the AK CC permit has reciprocity with something like 33 or 38 states.

Got it! That makes sense. Thanks for explaining this.

Skinja99,

Sorry I can't help with a list of others that do ccw classes. I've seen other advertisements for them around town. I just can't remember who does them. You might try asking at gun shops, yellow pages, etc.

Default Another plus for having a ccw is in the event

you get involved in a shooting when the cops come and you present your ccw it tells them that you are not a felon (criminal type) and they can focus more on the other person...not sure if I explained that right, but you get the picture...

Email Joe Nava ffjn@ak.net

My wife just took his course and said out of the 20,000 cc permit carriers in the state, he has trained half of them. He lives here in Fairbanks but I think he does some classes in the Anch area. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Link for Guns Laws

http://www.nraila.org/

The above link to NRA-ILA will give you the gun laws of every State plus States that a reciprocal agreement with each other..

Default Better link

An Alaska permit is accepted in 33 other states.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/