Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please advise: 460 vs 500

Default please advise: 460 vs 500

I've been lurking and searching the forum for few days now and still can't make up my mind on this ...

I would like to ask those of you that purchased Smith Model 500 after 460 was already available, what made you choose it? Why not 460?

Same question for those that purchased 460 instead of 500, what was your rational? Why not 500?

Which barrel length do you recommend? "ES" version or 4-5" version?

Couple of more questions:

I live in CA and my family and I go hiking to the local mountains where we have black bears and I've always carried SIG-220 in case we run into a predatory bear.

This summer in late June we are lucky enough to visit Alaska -- we'll be staying in Homer, and I'd like to take my family to the surrounding areas for day hikes. What are the chances of us running into a bear in around Homer areas -- lets say Kachemak Bay State Park?

I was planing on arming my wife and son with a bear spray while I'd carry a last ditch defence tool -- 460 or 500. In CA I try to stay low key and carry my SIG-220 in "The Wilderness Safepacker Holster" -- people here are touchy about guns even though it's allowed to carry one where we hike. How is it in Alaska? Specifically in Homer? Can I safely strap a Smith 460/500 across my chest without being questioned by the rangers, hikers as to why I need it?

Thanks for all your help -- it's a great forum.

Can you (legally) carry a handgun in California? How about in the Parks?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Yes, you can, as I have handgun hunted in Ca. You can also get a CCW in Ca.

Default Go for the 460

I own the SW 460V for one simple reason... versatility. You can load her hot when you need to, or you can load her up with 45LC for the range & general plinking. I have not fired a 500, so I cannot compare the percussion or muzzle blast. I would say the 460 is definitely manageable in both the 454 & 460 loads. There is also plenty of ammo avaiable for all three. In my mind the 460 was an easy choice because of its versatility.

Alaska & California are a bit different when it comes to firearms, but to answer your question yes you can carry with the fear of being persecuted by fellow hikers or rangers. From my understanding there is a good population of black bear in Kachkemak Bay & its surrounding areas, but I'm not sure about the brownie population. Check with Fish & Game about bears in any of the possible areas you think might interesting to go hiking.

In CA, you can legally carry in national forest not in parks.

While you can theoretically get a CCW in practice it's impossible in LA county to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2HuntAK View Post
    I own the SW 460V ... In my mind the 460 was an easy choice because of its versatility.
    Thanks for your feedback -- how do you carry 460V? Cross-draw or cross-chest rig? Which holster? Is it manageable with a pack on? Sorry for all the questions I have very little time to get this setup right ...

Alaska & California are a bit different when it comes to firearms, but to answer your question yes you can carry with the fear of being persecuted by fellow hikers or rangers.
    I hope this was a typo ... Did you mean "without fear of being persecuted by fellow hikers or rangers." I would hate to see "The Last Frontier" already affected by the PC/tree-hugger mentality as it is here in CA.

I have several friends that live in Ca. that have CCW permits, they do not live in La. County though.

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    ... they do not live in La. County though.
    That's the key point here -- in LA county only gang bangers are allowed to carry guns.

I own a 4 inch 500 and also a longer barreled 500 plus a 460. If I had to pick just one to carry in defense of large furry critters it would be the 4 inch 500.
    But I caution you, make sure you shoot one before you purchase it.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by mve View Post
    That's the key point here -- in LA county only gang bangers are allowed to carry guns.

....and no permit required, I guess.

I din't know if CA had CCW or not and I haven't hunted there since the late 70's (Handgun) and I recall a sign at Yosemite from a few years back that zaid it vas verbotten!

I don't own either a 460 or a 500 but have shot them and loaded for them. I think the 460 needs a lot of barrel to really be a 460, otherwise it is a 454 (which is enough). The 500 performs well in a 4" barrel. The 460 has the theoretical advantage of being able to use the 454 and the 45 Colt rounds as well. If you don't handload the 460 might be the ticket.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Correction of last statement.

Alaska & California are a bit different when it comes to firearms, but to answer your question yes you can carry with the fear of being persecuted by fellow hikers or rangers.
    I meant "without" the fear of being persecuted by fellow hikers or rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I own a 4 inch 500 and also a longer barreled 500 plus a 460. If I had to pick just one to carry in defense of large furry critters it would be the 4 inch 500.
    Thanks for your feedback -- have you ever had to carry the 4" 500 with a pack on? What holster did you use?

I recall a sign at Yosemite from a few years back that zaid it vas verbotten!
    Yes, Yosemite is a National Park - no guns allowed there. It's OK to carry in a National Forest.
    If you don't handload the 460 might be the ticket.
    Between the "460ES" version with 2 3/4" Barrel and the 460V with 5" Barrel which one would you choose strictly for bear defense?

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

[quote=mve;258891]Thanks for your feedback -- how do you carry 460V? Cross-draw or cross-chest rig? Which holster? Is it manageable with a pack on? Sorry for all the questions I have very little time to get this setup right ...

I have a cross-chest rig from Alaska Sportsman Products. It's made of nylon & can hold 12 additional rounds. I know a lot of people that have purchased these holsters, and I haven't heard any complaints. It is very simple to adjust and draw from. Once I adjusted it there have been zero issues with the holster. Other then the weight of the gun I don't even notice the holster under my pack. It also comes with lifetime warrantee. I had a cross draw holster previously & that was about the worst purchase I made.

I have a cross-chest rig from Alaska Sportsman Products. It's made of nylon & can hold 12 additional rounds.
    Thanks for the tip! This rig looks like it might work for me. Which one did you get for your 460V?

6" Revolver with Cartridge Loops & Ammo Cover

OR

4" Revolver with Cartridge Loops & Ammo Cover

Thanks for your feedback -- have you ever had to carry the 4" 500 with a pack on? What holster did you use?
    Yes, and this is what I carry it in:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...=-1&isFirearm=

S&W has the best collection of holster for right and left people than any other company that I am aware of. If you do not like the one I listed I encourage you to view all there holsters on there web site.
    Tennessee

I have the same chest holster as Live2HunkAK and after trying a couple feel it is a good choice. The 460 that I own is the short Performance Center version and that holster allows my arms to be unrestrictricted and with easy access to the pistol.

Yes, Yosemite is a National Park - no guns allowed there. It's OK to carry in a National Forest.
    Between the "460ES" version with 2 3/4" Barrel and the 460V with 5" Barrel which one would you choose strictly for bear defense?

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
    No doubt, the 5" version. .

Thanks for the tip! This rig looks like it might work for me. Which one did you get for your 460V?

6" Revolver with Cartridge Loops & Ammo Cover

OR

4" Revolver with Cartridge Loops & Ammo Cover

I have the 5" S&W 500-460 WITH CARTRIDGE LOOPS. It's definetly a nice rig & you won't be disappointed. The owner seems to be a pretty cool guy, so if there is something particular you are looking for in a holster he could probably make it for you. I think I paid $69 for mine at Mountain View Sporting Goods here in Anchorage.

I have the 5" S&W 500-460 WITH CARTRIDGE LOOPS.
    Good thing I checked with you -- I was rushing at work and at first glance I didn't even noticed they had a special version for the 500-460. Thank you!

I also went by a local shop here to handle the 5" 460 and it's intimidating -- I think I'll need to do some forearm exercises before I handle this at the range. The pictures just don't do it justice. My SIG-220 feels like a toy in comparison with this cannon ... But if that's what it takes then that's what it takes ... I just don't want to rely on the bear spray 100% -- always good to have a backup plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast