Thread: Need help with a T/C Pro Hunter

Default Need help with a T/C Pro Hunter

I have a Pro Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag that is giving me fits. It shoots 3-4" triangle-shaped groups with several different factory loads.

If it was horizontal stringing, I'd know it was because of the heavy trigger pull. But even with a heavy trigger I should still be able to hold better groups.

I shoot a fouling shot then a three shot group. I clean it until the patches come out light gray. Then I run 2 dry patches thru it.

I broke the barrel in correctly (1 shot then clean it for the first ten shots, after 2 shots clean it for the next ten, then no more than 4 shots without cleaning it).

I'm shooting off a Caldwell adjustable front sand bag and a Caldwell rear bag, with the forend on the bag (not the barrel).

I've free-floated the forend as much as possible, only the retaining screws contact the barrel (I ground the barrel channel so no other parts touch).

I've tried HSM 162gr BTSP, Black Hills Gold 162gr AMAX, and Remington 165gr BTSP.

It's topped with T/C bases and rings, and I've re-checked tightness. Burris Signature Select 4-16x 44mm that I checked on another rifle and it held zero just fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I tried the same ammo above in an accurized Sendero and everything shot less than an inch. And the AMAX and the Remington ammo shot around 1/2 inch.

Has anybody found a factory load that shoots out of their pro-hunter? Maybe try 140gr ballistic tips? I'd like to find a factory load that shoots.

Default Probably ammo

Hummmm..... definately sounds like its not a rifle issue, but it could be the floated barrel; some barrels like full bedding. I have an Encore that all I did was change the hammer spring and work the trigger and it shoots under 1/2 at 100, most of the time hole in hole at 100 if I do my part. Since the fore-end is separate from the stock, I don't know if floating is the right answer but I could be wrong. I'd try a couple of more types of ammo, like Hornady Custom, Federal, and Winchester; if you still have big groups, re-bed that fore-end. it could be the barrel as well, sometimes you just get a bad one, contact TC and have them replace it if you can't get it to shoot sub-MOA groups. They stand behind thier product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathray7 View Post
    I have a Pro Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag that is giving me fits. It shoots 3-4" triangle-shaped groups with several different factory loads.

If it was horizontal stringing, I'd know it was because of the heavy trigger pull. But even with a heavy trigger I should still be able to hold better groups.

I shoot a fouling shot then a three shot group. I clean it until the patches come out light gray. Then I run 2 dry patches thru it.

I broke the barrel in correctly (1 shot then clean it for the first ten shots, after 2 shots clean it for the next ten, then no more than 4 shots without cleaning it).

I'm shooting off a Caldwell adjustable front sand bag and a Caldwell rear bag, with the forend on the bag (not the barrel).

I've free-floated the forend as much as possible, only the retaining screws contact the barrel (I ground the barrel channel so no other parts touch).

I've tried HSM 162gr BTSP, Black Hills Gold 162gr AMAX, and Remington 165gr BTSP.

It's topped with T/C bases and rings, and I've re-checked tightness. Burris Signature Select 4-16x 44mm that I checked on another rifle and it held zero just fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I tried the same ammo above in an accurized Sendero and everything shot less than an inch. And the AMAX and the Remington ammo shot around 1/2 inch.

Has anybody found a factory load that shoots out of their pro-hunter? Maybe try 140gr ballistic tips? I'd like to find a factory load that shoots.

Thanks OKelkhunter.

I thought for a little while that there might be a loose nut behind the stock , but then realized I was shooting just fine, it's the rifle.

I might try some 140gr ammo through it.

Default FYI

If you do call Thompson Center---get a little pushy and demand (nicely) to talk to a Gun-Smith verus a Service Rep. I sent a Gun back (Black Powder) two years ago because it would get on paper no matter what I did. Customer Rep says no problem - they had gun for a week sent it back - same thing. I got upset demanded to speak to someone in the "know" got a Gun-Smith - he said he would personally fix the gun- gun came back two weeks later and shot tight groups. So sometimes ya have to get a little pushy

I've had issues with a cutom built Contender myself. Visit www.bellmtcs.com for more information about factory TC issues.

Rigby257-

Thanks for the link. I had a guy on another website suggest the same thing. I've visited Mike Bellm's website. Looks like I'll go that way rather than shoot up a whole bunch of ammunition (especially at today's prices).

I'm not a single shot expert, especially break top versions, but it seems that TC has had some issues since they've been bought out a couple of times. The worst things I've seen is the chamber not being cut true and square. You could have a local gunsmith make a mold of your chamber and see exactly what it looks like, at least that will rule that out. It's frustrating I know to waste all that expensive ammo and not get at least decent results.

Mike Bellm's website has so much information, it's a lot to get through. You may also want to visit the Match Grade Machine website, lots of info there too, plus a pretty good forum you can sign up for.