Thread: Gun Boot question

Default Gun Boot question

For the guys who ride a sportsman maybe yall can help me out. I'm riding an 07 700 sportsman and I'm looking for a nice gun boot that doesn't mount/stick outside of the finder but doesn't completely take up all the foot room to where your foot is riding on the break. Please attach some pictures if you got em.

thanks,

Richie

Default I have a gun boot question as well!!

I don't mean to jump in here and steal the thunder, but I had a question on gun boots as well. I am looking to get a cargo box for my atv, but was also looking at getting a gun boot as well, but I am assuming since both mount to the rear rack, this would cause a little bit of a problem? What does everyone else do? Do both still mount just fine? Or am I right when I would think the cargo boxes would get in the way? specifically I am talking about the Plano, or Tamarack boxes with the arm rests. Any help to either my question or the question posted before me, I know we would both much appreciate any help!!

Have you looked at the Polaris mount? http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.as...risPGACatalog) I have a right side one I've never used. Like my Ranger too much. Would sell it if interested. The Kolpin boot that it uses can be bought at Walmart or a dealer. It mounts or removes in a second. It is made to be used with the rack boxes from Polaris. Not sure on any other boxes.

The Polaris mount sucks. It has a hook that hooks under the plastic well and when you slide over a log it catches on the log and rips an expensive gash in your foot well. Don't ask me how I know.

I got that big box Sportsman's sells on the back of my Brute Force. A Kolpin case still fits beside it on the rear rack. I also have a gun rack and a gun case that mount on the front rack. On this front rack I usually carry something short like my Short .35 Whelen with 18" barrel, or a Contender Carbine. If I need the front rack I mount them on the handlebars.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I have had the polaris gun boot on my sportsman for 9 yrs. now, have had no problems with it. As mentioned above, the polaris cargo box works with the boot.

for the guys who have the polaris gun rack....does the gun boot rattle around or is it really secure? When you have it mounted...does it stick outside of the finder?

thanks,

Richie

Mine is about even with the fender. The boot itself does not rattle, but the retaining clip that holds the boot to the mount does. I just use a nut and bolt instead.

My friends and I have no luck with any of these gun boots. We've all broken many of them. Judging by the amount of broken kolpin parts I've seen on the trails, many people have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    My friends and I have no luck with any of these gun boots. We've all broken many of them. Judging by the amount of broken kolpin parts I've seen on the trails, many people have this problem.
    What do you use?

Check out Kolpin, they have several styles and mounts. I have mine mounted jsut inside the front rack right side. The barrel portion sticks out forward and down, and the butt end sits high above the handle bars. Sorry no digi-pic.

As DWS said, some of the gun boots can be quite troublesome. I happen to use an Arctic Cat mount on my Cat that uses a Kolpin boot. It has held up to two years of hard riding and I'm surprised. My friend with the generic Kolpin mount had his last about two rides.

What do other folks use? Well, my friend the local Arctic Cat dealer just slings his rifle across his back on both his snowmobile and his ATV. Get a rifle you are not afraid of abusing with a short barrel I guess..LOL...