Thread: Duck boats

Default Duck boats

Anyone running a homemade wooden duck boat? I've got an itch'n to put one together, and ready to order some plans. I'd love to hear from some other owners/builders.

Default Duck Boats

A buddy and I are building a pair of boats from plans we got from Gator Boats at gatorboats.com. We're building from the Duck Hunter plan. One boat is about 99% finished and the other is probably 2/3rds complete. Check out the forum at gator's website. There's a ton of information. Search for the user akwillow1 and you can see some pics of our efforts. We've hunted several times out of the one boat and will hopefully have the second finished in the next month or two.

Default Duck boats

That happens to be the very boat I want to build, with a few minor alterations. I'd love to get a look at it some time. How will you power it, and have you run one up here yet? Lots of questions...

sent you a PM

Default Reply

Steve,

I sent you a pm also. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. I know I won't have all the answers, but I'm sure we can get things figured out.

Kelly

Talking

I am building that same boat to! Hope to have it finished soon!

Default Boats

We should all get together at one of the lakes when they all are done. It'd be fun to burn a few steaks and check out each other's boats.

Default Duck Boats

Lets start with some pictures

Quacker, you've got a PM

Default Devlin Black Brant III

Built this boat a few years ago. I like it a lot, but it has taken some work to learn how to use it in shallow water like that found in Swan Lake area. I have some modifications to complete this summer and it should get on step a little more level and over come the issues that result from having some rocker.

I all I have built 4 wood/epoxy boats. Actually 3 wood and one foam and wood.

If anyone has questions on wood selection or the epoxy process post up and I try to answer them or point you to a good resource.

Default Have to build one

I have been inspired by those of you who have built your own duck boat and will now be ordering some plans of my own. I do already have a Tracker Grizzly Blindduck (1860sc) with a 65 Jet but would like to build one of my own. (Sold it to the wife as a father/son project but my son is only 4 so I think she saw right through that one).
    Im thinking of going with the Gatorboats Duckhunter and wouldnt mind hearing and seeing some results of the builders up here. How do you guys like your boats for hunting in AK? They work pretty well for you? What size motor are you running? Anythings you would do differantly. Also any secret spots for a good place to pick up the supplies locally?

Larry

Larry,

If you want to use fancy marine plywood - okoume - go to Hardware Specialties and order it. There is no additional cost for shipping as long as you can wait a few weeks for their bi-monthly flat of lumber to be sent up from the states.

If you want to use normal fir marine plywood I would go to SBS and order it if they don't have any in stock.

The Okoume is recommended since it is a rot resistant wood and has no voids in the layers which will accumulate moisture over time. Every piece of fir marine plywood I have ever cut has had voids in it, which will eventually allow for rotting wood. If you go with fir make sure that the boat stays dry for storage and don't let it fill up with snow and then melt out in the spring.

Epoxy can be bought locally at a couple of places. PlasChem sells the top of the line WEST system brand. I like this material, but the cost is much more than other options. System 3 can be bought from the Skiff Kits folks that make the Tolman skiff kits. About as pricey as WEST system stuff. The one nice thing about the PlasChem folks is that they are a "break in bulk" WEST dealer meaning that they buy in large volume and then repackage the stuff into smaller kits saving money for not having to ship the smaller kits up here. You also get a true volume of material this way. But it is still more money than buying from the east coast.

The two options for mail order are RAKA and US Composites. Both of these options sell a comparable product and even with shipping save money over the WEST and System 3 materials.

I have used the RAKA a couple of times and like it a lot. WEST is a really sweet product, but if you are a first time user it can be a little too tempermental if you are slow at mixing or what not. RAKA produces a medium cure speed harderner that has a broad working temperature range which works really well up here.

If you want to use silicon bronze fasteners you can buy them in bulk from Fire and Fasteners (not always in stock for various sizes) or order them from McFeelys or Jamestown on-line.

Where can you buy or aquire plans? This sounds like a good project for the winter.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Plans

gatorboats.com