Thread: Got my new Tikka T3 Lite SS

Talking Got my new Tikka T3 Lite SS

I love my Win mod 70 30-06 but I needed to lighten up for my goat hunt this fall. The boss on it not only added a little weight but added length too. So I picked up a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 300 win mag this week. I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it to help offset the kick as per a recommendation from this board. I have a Leupold VX-I 4-12-40 to mount on it. I got the Talley one piece rings to mount my scope but I ordered the mediums and I feel they are too high. I have already ordered the lows to see how they fit. If you are looking for rings for a tikka, let me know.
    I can't wait to get out and shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I love my Win mod 70 30-06 but I needed to lighten up for my goat hunt this fall. The boss on it not only added a little weight but added length too. So I picked up a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 300 win mag this week. I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it to help offset the kick as per a recommendation from this board. I have a Leupold VX-I 4-12-40 to mount on it. I got the Talley one piece rings to mount my scope but I ordered the mediums and I feel they are too high. I have already ordered the lows to see how they fit. If you are looking for rings for a tikka, let me know.
    I can't wait to get out and shoot it!
    I just got back from sportsmana warehouse where I also bought the Tikka T3 in the .300WSM. Put a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 on it. I can't wait to take this to the range and see how it does. My wife also wanted a "protection" gun, I wanted her to get a .20ga but she didn't like the feel of a shotgun so she fell in LOVE with the Glock 19, 9mm.

Congrads on yours, hope "we both" like them.

Hey AKFF,
    I have the same Tikka, and I feel my scope is too low. I don't really know what's on there now, except the rings are 'stock.' Is scope height a function of height? (I'm 6'4"). I just feel like I have to bend over too far to line up with the scope, especially when shooting prone.
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Nice combination AkFlyF. The limbsaver is a gooooood addition. You did well!

Not really sure about that question, but if raising your scope makes you more comfortable it will most likely make you shoot better. Just my thought. I like to have my scope as close as possible, that is why I am going with a lower mount.
    Not sure how high the stock rings are, mine did not come with it. It was missing from the new box so I got a better deal on it.

As a general rule, you want the line of sight of the scope be as close the the center of the bore as possible. Generally, if you can fit a thick piece of paper between the bell and the barrel that is enough room. But like it was said, if you are more comfortable, maybe that will make you shoot better. Either way, you get to burn up a bunch of ammo finding out, so it sounds like a win win situation to me

Default tikka

My wife let me know on our wedding day that her wedding gift to me was to be a new sheep rifle (mine to her was a new bow), and I spent a long time looking at the Tikka T3 lite. It was actually on the top of my list for a while, and I thought I was going to get it. However, since they didn't offer a short action (Tikka just modifies it's long action for the short action calibers) getting it in something like .308 just didn't save much weight, so I was thinking of one of the WSM's. But the WSM's come with a 2" longer barrel, which actually makes sense as far as getting the performance out of the short magnums but was a step in the wrong direction as far as weight goes. The whole point of the rifle was to keep it light! It's kind of like buying a new truck to pull trailers and opting for a six cylinder because it would work a little better than a four cylinder. I was looking for a light rifle, not a semi-light one. So I kept looking. I couldn't afford a $3000 New Ultra Light Arms rifle, but I found the next best thing. I ended up with a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08, and I put a VariII 3x9x33 Ultralight on it. It weighs 6.25 pounds scoped, with a sling and a four cartridges in the magazine. I haven't sighted it in yet (waiting for dies) but it carries like a dream and feels really well balanced. My biggest fear is that I'll never take any of my other rifles out any more!

I looked at the kimber montana but it was $500.00 more. That is more than I had to spend. I really wanted to stick with the 300 win mag since I don't reload there are more options for factory ammo.